1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Talking during a game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When watching a football, basketball, or baseball game, do you make conversation? Do you say things like, "What they need to do is play harder on defense." Or do you yell things like "Go! Go! Go!" while pointing at a player?

I ask because I don't do these things. When I watch a game, I STFU and watch the damn game. If I talk, it's during a break in the action. And I thought that was the normal thing to do. But over the past few years I've come across many people who claim to be sports fans but just talk non-stop throughout a game. I can't stand that.

Whether it's asinine comments like the ones above, detailed analysis of the game/team/player/coach/whatever, or just random talking about anything, I can't stand it. I'm watching the damn game. Eat some chips and STFU.

So I want to know: am I in the wrong here? Am I supposed to make pointless BS conversation during the game action with some guy at the bar while I'm watching a game? Or with a family member or friend when they come over to my place or invite me to theirs to watch the game?

Or am I doing it right and people who talk to me or make stupid comments during the game are d-bags who ought to be shot dead?

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

If I watch the game together with a couple of buddies, we keep talking all the time.

If I watch the game alone on my computer, I join Clutchfans game threads and do the same thing.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i talk to myself. "****. WTF? Ugh! Un****believable!"

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I talk to the game and remind my fellow viewers to interact lightly and moderately.

There are some sports in which, if you know what's going on, you don't need to "listen" to the action and it also matters if you listen to it in your native language. For example, in FOOTBALL (soccer for you all), you know a good play is coming up if the announcer is getting louder about it... there's potential in the next play and everyone gets quiet, at least the people with whom I watch. I try not to watch FOOTBALL (soccer) in English if there's a Spanish broadcast available.

I talk to the game if it's upsetting me. I try to listen to as much strategy and know the players and their stats and such if it's something other than soccer. With soccer, you can throw the stats out the window. :cool:

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I talk a lot with my brother because he doesn't know a lot of the rules, and sometimes we yell when a big play might happen.(RB/ kick returner finds a seam, they throw it deep, the last shot of the game/quarter)

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

You don't talk during a movie, but a sports game is a different animal. You don't need to hear the commentary to know what's going on, and often times talking and cheering, whether at home or in a bar, I feel only adds to the experience.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I will definitely talk a little bit to myself here and there like macalu mentioned. And I will cheer if in the right setting.

The reason I ask this is because at the game last night there were two guys sitting behind me who seemed to know the Rockets/basketball a bit but spent much of the game gabbing about god knows what.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Why does it bother you? Is it because it's distracting? Do you really need to hear the play call?

I don't really mind since sports are visual entertainment. I don't really need to hear what the latest dumb thing Clyde said was.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont like talking either...however, I do need a pillow to punch.

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I don't talk incessantly but definitely do talk and think it's part of the fun. Sports is a social thing. Why else would I have people over to watch with me?

11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I assumed you were referring to conversation in front of the tube, but it sounds like you meant live viewing.

It's not a movie or theater. As long as they aren't screaming obnoxious things, I wouldn't mind it. At the same time, I'm a talker and feel like crowd noise is part of the experience of watching games in person.

I would say the last game I went to, we had a drunk guy that was getting all the kids in our section to scream that inappropriate times (during our teams FTs). That was annoying on a competitive level as well as for my hearing, but otherwise didn't last longer than a few minutes.

On second thought, if the people around me were talking non-stop about things not related to the sport and/or what was happening in the arena, that might get annoying. Like sitting in front of two chicks gossiping all night.

12. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I talk during a game. Even if it is just me watching I'm either yelling profanities or just cheering for a great play because I get into it. If I'm with friends we definitely talk during games, because 90% of the game is downtime and nothing is happening. What do you want people to sit in silence as they review a play for 5 minutes or play 50 commercials?

13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

If I could watch the freaking Rockets games, I probably would yell at tv and make comments here in there. Since I can't, I don't :cool:

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I find myself doing this all the time to bandwagoners or peeps who just don't know the rules.

"The play actually calls for the running back to run through the middle. If he's fast enough to see the open lane, he will take it, or decide to run around. That's why they try to run through there. :eek:"

"That's DOBBINS. Demeco Ryans plays for the Eagles now."

"No, it was the right call. There have to be at least two defenders between the any attacking player involved in the play and the goal at the moment of the pass. It was offside."

15. 713

713 Member

"Thats not David Carr, That's Matt Schaub."

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, I guess I am in the wrong here. To clarify, this has nothing to do with me wanting to hear the announcers. But as a last effort, let me give a few real-life examples and see what the take is.

1) Friend tells me he's a football fan, so I invite him over to watch Pats/Giants Superbowl (Round 1). When he gets there, based on his comments I can tell that he doesn't know the first thing about football. He likely didn't know the difference between a draw and a hail mary. Plus, whenever Brady dropped back to pass, he would go "Oooooooooo" and if the pass would be completed he'd go "YEAH!!!!"

2) Eating out and watching the Rockets game. Some guy was sitting right behind me and yelling at the refs throughout the game. WTF? I can understand commenting on how the refs are blowing it, but repeatedly yelling at the refs as if they could hear you, and making sure you do it loud enough so everyone there can hear your words of wisdom? ****. Come on. I could understand yelling something a couple times, but this happened at least 15 times during the game.

3) An ex girlfriend I had been with for about a year decides to watch a game with me. She proceeds to make stupid ****ing comments and questions throughout the game. "He should have dunked it!!!" "Why did he do that? Oh. Why? Really? Well, that's stupid, but whatever I don't even like basketball. They just bounce a ball HAHAHAHA. Hey what do you think about...."

4) The situation addressed above. At a Rockets game, and for the majority of the game the two guys behind me were talking about who said what on Facebook. Were I as mighty in real life as I am on the internet, I would have turned around and asked them why the f*** did they even come to the game? They could have had these conversations anywhere.

#16 Haymitch, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

my g/f has been making an effort to watch football with me and understand the game. although i can appreciate her trying to learn her questions are freaking annoying. then, when the Texans are losing she'll give a sympathic, "oh, it's ok." the whole time i'm thinking she's just being condescending. i don't like trying to explain rules while watching the game.

18. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Haymitch you just sound miserable, that or you are just watching sports with a bunch of noobs...which is your own fault in either case.

19. moose

moose Member

I have to talk when I'm watching with a group of people. I clap/cheer. It makes it more exciting when you watch with a group.

I find it weird when I'm watching Laker or Heat games with my Laker/Heat fan friends and they are dead silent. No cheering, nothing.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

conversation held while watching sports with LCAhmed

LCAhmed: So how are things?
    Random person: Good, how about yourself?
    LCAhmed: Oh not bad, just getting things "OH MY GOD REF WTF?!?! BAD CALL!!! STOP SHAVING POINTS MFER!!!" Sorry, not bad, just getting things ready for the holidays. How is your family doing?