1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Movin back to Houston...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Sep 14, 2014.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So, my wife got a teaching job in Conroe ISD, her first classroom, and will be starting later this week. That means it's time to pack up the house in Round Rock after spending about 15 years in central Texas. I grew up in The Woodlands and my family is still there. It's a move we've discussed over the past few years but it quickly became real when she got the call on Sat morning that she had gotten the job. The Woodlands is no longer the place that I grew up in...it's a full blown city now...but I'm pretty excited to get back. It's hard to leave Austin. It really is a great place to live. But with me still unable to find a job here and her facing the same fate (she was working as an Ed. Asst in an elem school which doesn't pay much more than min wage) and a teacher surplus here, we had to go.

I'm pretty damn excited to be able to actually go to games and see them on tv again, too.

1 person likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hope you get to attend more Dynamo games, leroy.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That area has changed a lot over time, grown; you barely leave Conroe and you're in The Woodlands.

4. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Welcome back brah

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Cool story.

Technically, you'll be in south Dallas.

Nah JK.

Welcome back in.

6. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Good luck, leroy!

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the jobs pay better in houston. good luck dude, i'll eat some brisket for you

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You'll love Woodlands/Conroe, tons of Mexican National Team fans out here!!!

10. leroy

My brother's company has season tickets behind the north side goal. I will definitely be at more games.

I left in 1999. There was no traffic inside The Woodlands. It's absolutely crazy what it's become from what it was when we moved there in 1985.

Trust me, we know. We've been watching it since we started considering it a couple years ago. You have to have a good realtor who's on top of things because houses are selling before they hit the market. As soon as that pending sign goes up, they're getting offers.

For my wife, they absolutely do...about $5k+ more on average than districts in central TX. For me, hopefully. Still looking so if any of you have the line on a good headhunter, I would definitely be interested in their contact info.

On the brisket...yeah that's going to be tough. I haven't located a decent breakfast taco place in The Woodlands, either. Not sure what I'm going to do there for either of those things.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You best bet is to find people working for Oil/Gas/Energy...which is everybody except the medical folk

12. leroy

Man, this is harder than I thought it would be. My wife left today to start her new gig tomorrow. It's all happening so fast. We've already started packing the house but a large portion of this is left to me...along with the kids, looking for work down there, and trying to work at a job here I don't particularly want to do. Need the cash, though.

Just the thought of doing all of this without my wife here is panic-attack inducing. Plus, going through the nostalgia and remembering the great times we've had since we moved to Austin makes packing up and leaving that much harder. I know this is what we were meant to do. In the 10 days since I told her, "Hey, you should look at CISD. They've got a ton of openings.", she's had 2 interviews, requested to interview at 3 other schools, and got the job she wanted. That is more interviews than she's had here since the districts started hiring for this school year back in May. She didn't even get calls from the school she student-taught at or the one she long-term subbed at. I think that's something telling us to get the f*** out of here. I will feel a WHOLE LOT better when I get a good job down there.

My parents were in their early 30's when they decided to pack up and leave Philadelphia for Houston. I was 5 and my brother was 3. I'm a little older and my kids are a little older than we were then but I feel like this is very similar. With The Woodlands not being the place I grew up in, it's like moving somewhere totally new...just with friends and family and teams already in place. Still excited...but freaking out a bit.

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I feel your pain leroy!

In a similar situation...with the exception I'm the only wage-earner and having to worry about getting my wife and kids packed up and to a new location. I've got two potential opportunities lined up that would move us very far away from where we are now and the knots I'm getting in my stomach thinking about leaving the comfortable routine I'm in now is driving me nuts.

I did read something that made a lot of sense regarding making big moves...it was along the lines of not seeing the process as a necessary burden that is difficult to deal with...but rather see it as a new opportunity or as an adventure that will lead into a new chapter of your life. That's sort of thinking has helped me in dealing with the decision to possibly leave.

Good luck with the job search and move! Hopefully, six months from now you'll be wondering why you ever stressed any of the process. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. updawg

updawg Member

Purge your crap and it will make packing easier. On the plus side, you won't have any problems selling your house

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah, the "Conroe-The Woodlands" area is now its own urban area with about 250K people. That area is getting so big.

16. leroy

That's what I can keep telling myself. It's getting easier to remember it the more I pack.

2 loads to Goodwill already.

1 person likes this.
  17. leroy

ItsAllHappening.gif

Wife has been there for almost 2 months. House in Round Rock is under contract (option period ends tonight), signed lease on a house in The Woodlands this week (1 street over from my folks and where I grew up), and got a new job last week that starts next month. All that's left is to pack and move over Thanksgiving week.

Even happily able to transfer my Uverse service to the new place...though they don't have the internet speeds available that they have in Austin. I had 24 and I'm having to drop to 18. But, getting Root Sports Houston is a nice plus.

Still not ready to leave the Austin area. So much here we love but sometimes the universe works in funny ways.

1 person likes this.
  18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

make houston weird.

too much normal going around here

thats how you will get over how boring this place can be

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Welcome back Leroy, just time for the holidays.

20. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I hope you make a lot of money cuz the Woodlands is not a cheap place to live.. also, welcome back!!