1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama: troops just airrading and killing civilians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 14, 2007.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

speaks for itself i think. hillary's got to be loving this.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrW4fOGIMVY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrW4fOGIMVY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

wtf is he talking about?

great stump speach guy but he is horrible when put on the spot

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The naivete of Obama is once again

EXPOSED

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

errr...

I'd like to think he merely got caught in the headlights and doesnt really feel that way. I understand what he MIGHT be trying to say (we need a better gameplan, more focus etc.) but to lay it out like that is really doing a disservice to our troops.

I know that civilians have been getting killed in Afghanistan but his statement meakes it seem like every soldier who does a tour in Afghanistan has only been bombing civilians.

When the world's eyes are on you, you have to be a bit smarter about how you say things, just look at Dubya.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If any of you actually read the news, Karzai was recently talking about the large number of civilian casualties causing people to turn against the US and the commanding general in Afghanistan acknowledged that this was a problem that the US needed to do better on.

This is not out of left field and he is not randomly attacking the troops. This has been a genuine ongoing discussion and shows he actually is paying attention to what is happening in Afghanistan (apparently unlike some others).

6. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Oh totally, that pretty much sums up his campaign -- a deer caught in the headlights.

IN OVER HIS HEAD

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect there is more to his statement than just the 12 seconds shown..

8. hotballa

I'm aware of the civilian causalty rate in Afghanistan, but my point is that the way he is putting it makes it seem like every single soldier in Afghanistan is killing civilians. Havent we already had enough of Presidents who say stupid things?

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I appreciate your opinion but genuinely, with all honesty, I didn't get that impression at all. In retrospect I can see how some people who are wary of him to begin with might see the comments in that light, but it honestly would never have occurred to me.

Personally, one of the things that annoys me the most about dubbyah is that he and his 'team' spent 4 years telling us (and most scarily, maybe believing) that the insurgency in Iraq was in its 'final throes'.

Clearly stating the heart of any problem is, to me, very refreshing and the key to being able to come up with a remedy for those problems.

That having been said, I seem to have a natural affinity for political candidates who don't have much experience and don't act very 'political'. I voted for Kinky and gave money to Wesley Clark's campaign, so I may just be strange in that regard.

10. hotballa

I don't think he meant it that way either, but therein lies the problem. He seems to be articulate when he has a prepared speech but seems to stumble when he is forced to improvise. If he wants to be President, he has to be able to express himself in a way that doesn't make the U.S. nor himself look bad (again the DUbya factor). We would assume Obama doesn't really mean soldiers are "just" killing civilians and doing nothing else, but you know that those kinds of statements can be used against the U.S. in the publicity game.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

GOP planners pounced on Kerry's gaffes and innocent jokes. All it takes is the right opponent to make Obama look incredibly stupid.

12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

When democrats say stupid things about the troops it sticks. That's because the rest of their actions don't indicate that they actually support the troops or the mission. It makes them easy targets.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

George Bush said "I love you" to his wife yesterday, and said "Osama" this AM.

Therefore he said "I love you . . . Osama"

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

support for troops

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/5052983.html

U.S. troops in Iraq, Afghanistan must stay longer

By MICHELLE ROBERTS
    Associated Press

TOOLS
    Email Get section feed
    Print Subscribe NOW
    Comments Recommend (1)
    FORT HOOD — Soldiers deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan will be facing the extended 15-month deployments until at least next June, a top Army commander said today.

Commanders are assessing the situation on the ground now, but Gen. Richard Cody, the Army Vice Chief of Staff, said it will take until at least June to shrink average deployments back to 12 months while maintaining the 158,000 troops now deployed in the region.

"It's going to take a while to get off the 15 months," he said in an interview with the Associated Press today.

He faced questions at every meeting with troops and commanders about the extended deployments and sought to reassure them it was a temporary measure designed to get enough soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan while giving them at least a year to rest and train between deployments.

"It was supposed to be interim and is not and will not be permanent," he said in a meeting with leaders of the 4th Infantry Division, which is preparing to return to Iraq late this year.

Many members of the division are on their second and third deployments to Iraq.

16. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Sam, the video clip is right there for you to see. This quote was not taken out of context. Weak effort on your part.

OBOMBA Civilians stepped in it again

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

George W. Bush - I agree with Barack:

Fact Check: Obama on Afghanistan

18. langal

langal Contributing Member

I agree.

I don't think any reasonable voter would put too much credence in what Obama said.

All this "gaffe" really does, IMO, is point out moreso to his inexperience than anything else. And I don't mean Obama's experience, or lack thereof, of international events - but rather his experience in a presidental political campaign where every spoken phrase can be vigorously disected and analyzed.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

Oddly enough - Obama's own record as a fine public speaker can sort of backfire.

GW's reputation as a bumbling public speaker sort of sets the bar lower for him. Misspeaks and gaffes are sort of expected and accepted.

If Obama started going around saying "nucular" - we would ridicule him. For GW - it's just "George being George" and par for the course.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I still greatly prefer the Obama alternative.