1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady should play in the post and as a spot up shooter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DcProWLer277, Feb 12, 2009.

1. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Pretty simple thread really, McGrady is only effective in the post and as a spot up shooter. He can't drive to the rim and can't shoot the horribly inefficient shots he's made in the past. The only way for him to play well I think is to put him on the low block. What do you guys think?

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Ehh I don't think he's strong enough to play on the low block.
    More of a finesse player.
    But it would surely depend on matchups.
    If a typical 6'5" two guard was on him, then McGrady could post him up and shoot over him.
    Idk.. It could work. But most of the time , I don't think it could.

3. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Then where does yao go? Hover around the freethrow line?

4. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

When Yao is cold or out of the game. Come on now...

5. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

And playing 4 on 5 defense .....

6. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Tmac is hardly ever on the court without yao, maybe 5mins a game. And when he is, we DO already run plays for him on the block.

7. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

My point though is Mac takes low percentages shots most of the game. Now that he's a gimp its even worse. All I'm saying is he should be a spot up shooter or play on the post because him just holding the ball on the perimeter slows the whole offense down.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

McGrady's shot 12 of 37 (31%) from outside in 2009, and is a career 34%. No way do I want him as a "sniper"

I also doubt he would be effective in the post for 10+ touches a game - he's too easily bothered by physical play.

Besides, he's made clear that he is going to play the way he wants to play. Good luck asking him to take on a new role.

Just shut him down for at least a month or two and let Wafer replace his 15 ppg with a lot more energy on both ends.

9. Metalingus32

Metalingus32 Member

maybe move tmac to the 3 and start waffer at the 2? battier and artest can come off the bench. Waffer seems to fit in with the starting line up a little better than coming off the bench. Remember last year that one move for scola changed the whole season.

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

If he plays at all he must be a playmaker IMO. That is difficult to do in the post.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Even if that worked, his defense is horrible and it doesn't seem like anything he can do offensively right now will compensate for it.

12. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

TMAC should be used like Manu Ginobili, off the bench 20-25 minutes of high energy ball

13. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I agree. I highly doubt he would go along with not starting, however. I don't know what is with NBA players' egos, but many will whine, pout, and cry if they don't get a starting position.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"high energy" and "2009 Tracy McGrady" do not go together.

What McGrady should do is play like he's not the #1 or even the #2 option on this team anymore. If he can accept that he's better as a complimentary player to Yao and maybe Artest he'll be alright.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He is unwilling to change his game. That's where the problem has come up over and over since Adelman arrived. McGrady refuses to play any role other than one that allows him to over-handle the ball and play from the perimeter where he initiates the offense.

He prefers to see the half court set and either make his pass from the three point line, shoot the jumper or occasionally drive and kick the ball to an open shooter.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

McGrady got the ball in the high post more towards bits of the end of last season and in the playoffs (after Yao went out). And was sometimes devastatingly effective. That 10 foot turnaround jumper is money, only an elite long defender can guard that high release.

I dont know why he doesnt go with more high percentage plays. I know he's an established 12 year vet but man he's got all the damn tools. He's even a good 3 point shooter when he sets his feet and doesnt toss up heat checks. Just adds more frustration the more I think about it...

I think he should do the 20-25 minutes current Jerry Stackhouse/Grant Hill thing.

17. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

That wuss hates contact. He couldn't / wouldn't post up Derrick Fisher a few years ago. He'd last down low about 45 seconds before getting hurt.

18. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

a big bhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa for you

19. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Fixed it for you!

20. scola4

scola4 Member

that would be fine expect for we are paying him 20 million a year. no one pays 20 million a year for a spot up shooter and role player. thats why this situation is horrible. we are paying him superstar money and he clearly is no longer a superstar...