1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building a team around Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Jan 5, 2013.

1. valorita

valorita Member

This is not an endoresement or knock on our players. Its just that if we are building around Harden, then management now has to think how we will put the right players around him to make it work. This is just for the starting 5 since thats what matters in the playoffs.

[PG]
    Need: good spot up shooter, great defender, low turnover guy
    Have: terrible spot up, so so defense, high turnover
    Verdict: current version of Lin is not a good fit. I dont think he will ever develop into that kind of player, too far fetched from his strengths. That is why I think Morey will trade him when stock is high vs have him come off bench.

[SF]
    Need: utility man to hustle, move without the ball, and guard opposing team's best wing.
    Have: The above + incredible contract + glue guy
    Verdict: Parsons is a good fit as any. His contract and charisma make him absolutely invaluable to our team going forward. As close to "untouchable" on our roster sans the beard.

[PF]
    Need: Good at setting picks and can both roll & pop. Bruiser/enforcer type. Get up and down the court with ease.
    Have: mediocre rebounding and no real post option.
    Verdict: Both Morris and Patterson can spread the floor but that is about it. Morey will not hesitate to move either this season because none are the answer at PF and we have Motie and Jones waiting to develop and fill their spots.

[C]
    Need: defensive anchor and rebounder, can catch and finish down low
    Have: the first portion of the above. Asik can improve by being mire vical in the defensive end and coordinating the other players and keeping them accountable. As for his hands and and ability to finish, he will never be DeAndre or Tyson, but he can learn to keep the ball high and away from guards, and also practice catching a lot of tennis balls al Yao.
    Verdict: at a little over 8 mil per year, Asik is a great fit and as shown by his free throw improvement, management will stick with the Turkish center for a long time.

So, I think that even slightly above average players that fit the bill in the PG and PF spots would make this roster a 55 win team while we wait for our second star. For example a Mike Conley and Paul Milsap. Both Asik and Parsons should be given the chance to improve.

Thoughts?

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

No to Conley or Millsap, but I agree on the Power Forward position. Give Lin more time to develop his game.
    I think Jones fits your description PERFECTLY. Jones is gonna be a beast either next year or later this year.

3. valorita

valorita Member

I am not saying lets go get Conley or Milsap. My point is that we now have a franchise cornerstone to build around. Thus we should be much more selective in bringing in players vs preserving our capspace. Too many teams like lebrons Cave or KGs wolves wasted their stars because of the management's inability to look at the big picture.

Can Lin develop? Sure, especially because he is young, inexperienced, and is a hard worker. However, you can't turn one player into a completely different player, particularly if he is weak in so many of those attributes that I think we need.

Jones is an unknown for me. Based on summer league, I thought he could be that guy but it remains to be seen. I admit that he is a good finisher, can run the floor, and has a knack for making plays. If i could mix motie and tjones' best attributes, we would have the PF of our future.

4. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Arrr all I can say is you are putting yourself in trouble.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Here's the simpler answer.

Step 1: Get or develop 2nd superstar(top 10-15 player), or two stars(top 30-40 players).
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit!

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Just give us your PG and PF replacements, how they fit, and show us how to obtain them.

For PG, make sure you find someone ranked higher than Lin based on Synergy defense stats, shoot better than Lin from spot us 3s/long 2s in his rookie/second season, is available cheaper than Lin (other than those on a rookie contract), and tell us how to trade for him.

For PF, make sure he's a star or near star and gettable, and while I'd love a bruiser/pick&pop player also, don't underestimate the need for a stretch 4 the way Rockets play.

You seem to have the answers or think it is easy. Just tell us you candidates. Give us more than two names. If it is so easy to put up two names and assume we can get them ... we can all be GMs.

#6 mike_lu, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

You can never replace the heart, charisma, the following, play-making abilities, and most of all, the MAGIC Jeremy Lin brings/has brought to this franchise. It's beyond statistics, really.

Alongside Harden, this team/city has become relevant again. People talk about them. There's a distinct buzz around the league and the globe. They now have an identity. Chemistry. It's a new age era called Beard-Sanity!

You worry about shooting, defending, and turnovers? Listen, he's young. Heck, the entire team is young. Give them some time. Shooting can be developed. But heart, charisma, and the knack for performing at your best under the bright lights, big stage, and enormous pressure is what makes him unique.

You let go of him once, is a mistake. You let go of him twice, is a crime.

8. itachen

itachen Member

IMO Harden is great but not a game changer that you dedicate the whole talent building around to. When the refs decide to silent their whistles, his game will suffer considerably, whereas game changers like Lebron, Durant, and Kobe can still find ways to take over games in various ways. Simply put Harden's another piece to the puzzle, although a dazzling one.

9. conquistador#11

lol at thinking lex industries and daryl are going to trade lin. He can play the pure point pretty damn well, something maury appreciates even if it drives fans and coaches mad.

Power forward : I don't see the blazers trading lamarcus or the wolves just handing us Love.

10. valorita

valorita Member

Sounds like the reasoning behind "Magic" Randolph to me. Who he play for now?
    No one said waive Lin or give him away. Build stock and then sell for more compatible parts.

Lin was obtained when we didnt have Harden. Would Morey have let Dragic go and offer the same contract to Lin if se had James? I would bet absolutely NOT.

Never said it was easy folks. But the first step is to know what you are looking for.

As for the get stars and profit, how are those Lakers doing?

11. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

If we got a player anything like Zach Randolph, we would be contenders. No joke.

12. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

^^^^ this!

13. Luca

Luca Member

Well said. Even if the Roxx trade him, he will find a way to prove people wrong. I believe in his potential.

14. BreakYoSelfFool

Actually Harden is the type of player like Lebron where he is so fast and strong that the fouls cannot be ignored the majority of the time. If you don't foul him hard enough, he will brush you off and stuff it down. Unlike some people these guys primary goal is to make the basket, not to draw the foul. He still doesn't get nearly as many fouls as he should and is already at the top of the league in FTs without even getting "Superstar" calls.

1 person likes this.
  15. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Man, give our guys some time. Most of them played just a season of basketball.

You say we need a spot up shooter as a PG? Are you kidding me? Attacking PGs is a MUST. One of the things that makes us so versatile now, is because we have an attacking back court.

Jeremy just needs to improve his 3pt shot and that's about it. His defense is more than solid and he fits the fast pace style we are running.

16. Luca

Luca Member

Agreed, oh wait we are contenders to this year championship.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There isn't just one blueprint to succeed... Harden might end up shooting more spot up shots while Lin is driving for example - and I am pretty sure that Lin will improve his shooting.

What you need is simply a great post player and paint protector. Someone that gets around 20 ppg with post plays and hustle plays (offensive rebounds), that hits the open shots to spread the floor and that blocks a lot of shots.

Now it won't be easy to get a player like that and you will have to make some compromises. I still think we will take a gamble on Josh Smith. He is not a good shooter and I would be a bit worried about a guy that long in the league that relies a lot on his athleticism - but he is still fairly young (28), gets the hustle points and helps this team a lot on defense (when our guards know there are good shot blockers in the paint they can focus un defending the outside shots) - all while being very capable to get you 18 points a night.

And perhaps the most important thing: you don't have to give up anything to get him but capspace...

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, u must build Harden around the team!

1 person likes this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

We need a PG who can shoot and a good PF and we'd be contenders

20. my2cents

my2cents Member

I have a good option for you. Please send Lin back to NY and replace with Raymond Felton. Raymond Felton can hit 3's...