1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royal Ivey

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by HAYJON02, May 16, 2004.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Just talked to him for 5 minutes about basketball. It was damn fun. I told him to watch out bc I've been working on my shot and he said "Nah, my era's done here." He's got workouts with the Bulls and Hawks and another team and I think he's got a pretty good shot at sticking. Those teams need offense and Ivey can fill it up. He laughed off my Detriot NJ prediction being a Nets fan but he knows alot about basketball so that was fun. We both agree Atlanta just needs a good coach and they could be pretty good. If Royal could get the ball out of Stephen Jackson's hands anyway...

Utah's showing the way with their winning model and alot of teams could pull it off in the East.

Chicago would be good because there's so much young talent there and they have nothing to lose.

Oh yeah, he loved the Steve/change for T-Mac and Hill. That would be a huge deal.

I told him the Rockets also usually keep a few players on the end of their bench like Torres, Hawkins, Brown, Tito, every year as projects so getting in with the Rockets and their championships would be a good situation. We always need good bench guys to come up and score. I think Royal is a supremely talented ballplayer and we should pick him up if we can. Draft.net doesn't even have him listed in the first 2 rounds so why not?

2. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I actually like Ivey more than Mouton, and would love to see him on the Rockets. Still, I haven't heard too much buzz about him on draft sites, so I think calling him in for a workout undrafted would be a good idea. The only things I'd worry about are his long-range shooting and his tendency to get careless with the ball. Still think it's a good chance to take on him.

3. tozai

tozai Member

I like Ivey more than Mouton as well because he does one thing really well instead of a bunch mediocre. He plays real tough D, but has to develop a consistent long range jumper and be lucky enough to land on the right team to have a chance. I want him to make it since he was the player I liked the most on the team, but I don't think he will. He just doesn't have enough offense right now, so if someone is going to let him run back-up PG he's going to have to be lucky and get with the right situation. I could see him making the 13-15 spots though.

4. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

i watch a lot of UT ball and barring major improvement on BOTH ends of the floor, Royal won't be making any NBA teams. I wish him the best and hope he does, but I don't see it happening. IMO, his D is pretty overrated. I heard some awfully nice things said about his D on ESPN more than once this year. Mouton has a better shot at the NBA, but his D needs work. Obviously, he can at least shoot the 3.

Unfortunately, Ivey is really a 2, and he's too small to play SG in the NBA.

5. tozai

tozai Member

And he can't SHOOT. Hope he can do better than the NBDL though.