1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Shaq rips Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AGBee, Jun 19, 2004.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

Shaq knew he'd be shown the door

I like these quotes:

"See, with me and Karl and Gary and a lot of other guys, you can say something and it doesn't matter how you say it. They don't take it the wrong way. For example, I can say, 'Come on, Devean, mother------, play hard.' I can say that to Karl. But a sensitive guy will take that very sensitively."

Like Kobe?

"Like Kobe."

-------------------------------------------

"A lot of these guys now think if you score points and if you do all that sh-- around the basket, you're a great player. And that's not true basketball, and that's not the type of basketball I know how to play. If you've got a guy open, hit him. I may miss a guy once or twice, but I'm not gonna miss you three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, 10 times. I could score 40 every night. If I shot the mother------ all the time. "

2. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

I sorta agree with Shaq on this point. Kobe dribbles dribbles and dribbles and several times when his teammates are open he doesn't pass it to them. He also wants to be the hero all the time with his big ego so several times he'll try for a gamewinner when someone else is wide open. Selfish ballplayer.

3. sup123

sup123 Member

i dont like the part about shaq going to orlando. :mad:

4. Raven

Raven Member

SO, KB, KM, GP, and PJ all have huge egos. They deserve each other.

And you can bet that SO and TM have worked this out in advance.

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I understand why the Lakers would want to keep the younger guy around, but like Shaq's chances without Kobe moreso than Kobe without Shaq.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shaq is on the downside of his career, he is fat, out of shape, and unmotivate...

No way I want that guy on my team.

DD

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

OK Kobekota.

I'll take the fat, out of shape, and unmotivated guy that averaged 26.6ppg, 10.8rpg while shooting 63% from the field in 42.6mpg to your lean, athletic, hyper-motivated 22.6ppg, 2.8rpg and 38% from the field in 46.2mpg in the Finals every day of the week.......at least up until he's about 36.

:D

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

All I can say is this is AWESOME. When was the last time we had serious drama leading to a potential redistribution of power in the NBA?

Way to take the most exciting playoffs in a while and extend it into an exciting offseason!!!

Evan

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'll wager he'll be plenty motivated come November.....

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I would love to have Yao and Shaq on the frontline. Even if he is fat, out of shape, and unmotivated. Would you stand in the way of a 7" 300+ bringing the backboard down? :D

11. University Blue

He was unfaithful to his wife, may have sexually assaulted a young woman; but LA would not have been to the Finals three of the last fours years without Bryant's heroics.

For O'Neal to "call out" Bryant for being sensitive is unfortunate. For all the **** O'Neal puts out in the press about teammates and management, he needs to assume some responsibility for the team's failures: beginning with creating a hostile work environment.

University (Blue Kryptonite)

12. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Assume either Yao or Shaq can defend perimeter and play PF position (no way in reality), are you sure you want Shaq "Pay Me" O'neil take 30M contract for the next 3-4 years?

Oh, forget to mention, Shaq need vacation too, say 20+ games DURING the season. In the end, you could trade the whole team away to get a fatty who is paid highest salary in the league but only play 2/3 the season, and no championship guaranteed. Enjoy!

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And yet Shaq was still one of the Top 3 players in the game this year. What happens when he DOES get motivated? MDE. And there's no way the Lakers would have made the Finals without Shaq.

I also agree with Shaq on Kobe's character. It's not good. He is not a leader, and he is not liked by his teammates. The Lakers should think twice about making Kobe their "chosen one."

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

If I am the Lakers' GM, I might do the same thing.

Two years in a row, it has been proved a team with Shaq and Kobe is not enough. You have to have solid younger role players and deep bench.

If Shaq stays, Kobe will definitely leave. And then if Shaq gets his extension, he will single-handly take away 3/4 of Lakers cap room, for that amount of money, it is very hard to rebuild a solid team around him.

Furthermore, his number declines every year, he need 10-20 games' vacation every season, he lost championship last year and he didn't get motivated (this year is his worst career season). Why you think he will suddenly get motivated if he stays and kobe leaves?

Talking about a leader, does Shaq act like one? KG took a huge paycut to accomodate team's plan for winning, Shaq yelled "pay me" at his boss during a preseason game, what kind of leader is that? He is so selfish.

Trading Shaq is a smart decision if you want a long term solution, it is different as Magic traded him 8 years ago. I am glad Buss has some courage and vision to trade Shaq.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ivanyy2000 , from a basketball standpoint, keeping Kobe over Shaq probably is the right decision. Even Shaq understands that. Kobe is only 25 and getting better. But if the Lakers think that Kobe can definitely carry the team as well as Shaq did, they should think again.

Shaq is not your typical great leader, but he does play a lot less selfishly than Kobe and commands the respect of his teammates. Nobody would get into a stupid fight with Shaq over who should get the ball (except Kobe of course).

16. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Despite their dysfunctionality, they were one of the few teams who could turn it on in the post season as evident by their three titles.

Shaq's and Kobe's egos have to be the size of Mt Rushmore b/c despite their immense talents, they clearly disliked each other.

Kobe will or will not mature, time will tell. At least, he'll know what's it like to be the focal point of opposing team's defences and no big man to take the pressure off if Shaq is not a Laker next season.

As for Shaq, he's got the rings to validate his career so judging by his comments, he's after more money period.

I can see Dallas putting a package together.

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Shaq should have every right to call Kobe out. Remember early this year when Kobe call Shaq fat and said he faked injuries. Shaq kept his mouth shut to help out the team (and to keep a promise to Malone and Payton).
    So it' snot like Shaq is casting the 1st stone here.

18. wayne312

wayne312 Member

damn i really start to like the big,fat guy. It's not in my YOF's logical system but i really would take the present SO over Yao if given the chance. Damn the offseason what am I thinking?

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You can say that again.

This off-season is going to be fun.

Now the word breaking news would actually make me stop whatever I am doing (i.e. on sports show - TV or Radio).

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

shaq is about to take over the league lik he did a couple of years ago, this seson is gonna be over before it starts. shaqs been waiting for 2-3 years to show he can win a ring without kobe and know is his time to do it and i bet he does.