1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks MIP?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CaptainRox, Dec 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

With how well Brooks has done the last several games do you think he could acheive the most improved player award? Last nights game in LA was definitely an argument for how much better our 3rd year point guard has gotten.

(P.S. Carl Landy 6th man anyone?)

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

They're both in the running for both awards. ESPN has Brooks/Ariza tied for 2nd for MIP, and Carl Landry tied for 4th for 6th Man.

Rick Adelman dropped out of their CotY "race" though. But then again, the voting for that one is usually the dumbest of any vote out there.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Shouldn't Landry be the guy getting MIP consideration? He already has more 20-point games this season (7) than he did in his first two years combined (4).

Edit: Actually the same can be said about Brooks and Ariza. :grin:

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

MIP = Most Inconsistent Player

Definitely have to include Brooks in the discussion, in that case.

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Whoa.
    Thought you meant 'Minor in Possession"..

Whew.

6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I thought it was "makes idiotic passes"...

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Hater.

8. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

nah, landry didnt get much better than last year. hes just replacing yao...
    did you see last years danny granger :eek:
    but hes of course a front runner for MIP :)

9. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Carl Landry should be ahead of Ariza for sure, but if Brooks turns it around and just cuts down on his silly dribbling turnovers he would be top dog. Just my opinion.

10. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

damn i wanted to say 6th man :mad: ;)

11. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

I love AB but I just don't see it happening. Unless he improves his consistency.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Actually, I think Brook is a pretty good player. I like him I just don't think he belongs in the MIP discussion much less as the starting PG on a contending team (not that the Rockets are one this year).

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

landry and ariza have a better shot at it than Brooks...

14. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

stop drinking and posting....brooks has been better that ariza has...Ariza is out there looking like Moochie norris without a conscious out there..

15. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Carl Landry = MIP

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I dunno, Ariza has been making improvements in scoring numbers, but he is getting them with volume shots. He is averaging almost 4 APG, but unless that gets into the mid 4-5 range, I dont see it happening for Trevor. Brooks is shooting 44% FG and 38% from 3. Ariza is 38 and 34. Landry is shooting 55% and averaging 15ppg off the bench. If Landry gets that closer to 17-18ppg then its pretty much his to lose.

17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Brooks averages a turnover every 10 minutes. Lowry every 12. Which means over 60 minutes, you will get an average of 6 TOs from Brooks, and 5 from Lowry.

Brooks has certainly been in a TO "slump" lately, and that is coloring the perception of him.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Once he stops turning the ball over 6 times in a game, I'd be all for it. I was just braging yesterday about how in the past 5 games, he averaged 2 turnovers.... then that night he has 6. He makes way too many dumb, lazy passes to get MIP. Without tracy, yao, and ron, of course he is going to score more than he did last year, so to me, the way to tell if a pg is improving would be %, assists, and turnovers. His % are slightly better (.05%), and with more minutes means more assists (5.5 this year, 3 last year) but he is turning the ball over over twice as much 3.33 compared to 1.56.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

More substantive comparison to make your case, please.

20. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

I would say no to Brooks being mip, when he learns how to finish a game and play in the fourth quarter he will be complete, but on the other hand I think Landry is more of a most improved player. He also is this years 6th man.