1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Smith should start at the 4. Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan4, Dec 4, 2012.

1. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I have been waiting to make this a new thread since the preseason, but I wanted to give fans a chance to see him with some real minutes. He gives the Rockets a solid inside defensive presence. Howard seemed to have as much or more trouble getting position against Smith as against Asik. You can't just ask Asik to block shots, play position defense, stay out of foul trouble, AND get rebounds. Having the second inside defender is critical.

You also need someone who will intimidate so as to reduce the cheap shots on your key players. Smith is not dirty like guys like Mahorn, Rodman, or Artest (forget the MWP moniker), but he sure is alot more menacing than our other PF options.

On top of Smith's defense and hustle, he has great hands, makes catches, never looks or acts intimidated or rushed, can get decent post position, and passes and hands off decently from the post. I say this is worth more even than Patterson's outside game.

I like PPat alot (and our other rookies, Morris, DMot, and Jones), but Smith brings far more to the table at the moment. And, he is only 21.

1 person likes this.
  2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

If he can consistently pop a jumper, sure

3. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

He had that one game..... I like him as a back up 5..

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

This has knee-jerk written all over it.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Either him or Asik need a jumper then. You need to have the floor properly spaced when you have Parsons/Harden/Lin.

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

If he starts at four, who is going to back up Asik?

I think Aldridge is still injured.

PPat?

No thanks.

It is one game.

Let him improve.

7. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

He is incredibly valuable as a backup 5, so I would keep him in when Asik goes out and slide him to 5. Of course, when he needs rest, Asik stays or comes in and we play one of our other 4's.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Asik and Smith together is not a good combination. Harden and Lin rely too much on penetration to the basket, they can't have two bigs clogging the paint like that.

So if you want more minutes for Smith, it will have to come at the expense of minutes for Omer.

1 person likes this.
  9. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Smith's FT's show that he has a decent touch. We haven't seen him take any 15-18 footers yet, but I feel like the potential is there, especially given his age. I realize this is not Morey's favorite shot, but guys like Karl Malone did just fine at that range.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agreed, but I think this might change the nature of their penetrations, not necessarily their effectiveness. Instead of going all the way to the bucket, they might pull up more for midranges, and Smith could make tough interior catches in traffic. Plus, both could offensive rebound like crazy even if the original shot % goes down slightly.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

No, Patterson is a much better fit with the starting lineup. He actually spaces the floor. And I'm not saying Patterson > Smith btw

12. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Completely disagree.
    You need a guy who can step out and hit the open jumper and occasional 3 pointer. Smith is a physical inside scorer.

13. split41

split41 Member

I'm pretty sure another thread is already discussing this. I thing G Smith has been playing good all year, but I agree with other posters this has knee-jerk written all over it.

14. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

LOL Smith and Asik at the same time? Seriously?

For our offense you need to spread the floor, which is why Patterson has been shooting more 3s this year.

15. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Patterson spaces the floor.

Sampson talked about playing Harden more with the bench, so maybe you'll see more lineups like tonight.

16. skyline07

skyline07 Member

eh 1 good game doesn't mean he should start...plus we need some energy and scoring off the bench.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Backup center is a good position for him, building a good team isn't necessarily just stacking all of your players into the starting lineup, but putting together lineups with proper role-players and spacing. With Asik and Smith there really isn't much spacing for offense, and neither of the two bigs really have a jump shot so I don't think it would make much sense at the moment.

So would you rather have Smith play 30 minutes with avg/below average results or around 25 minutes with good results?

18. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Not at all to start or during majority of the time..

But what if Asik and Smith played 5/4 with the rest of the back ups for certain periods?

19. Dei

Dei Member

He is a center. That's all there is to it. He was impressive tonight but let's not count that he'll put these kinda numbers up night-in, night-out to displace Asik as starter, yet. He definitely impressed me tonight, though. I think he's more valuable than Patrick, now.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Just start him over asik.

Start harden and delfino and let Lin asik and Douglas man the second unit.