1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nugs Sign Demarr Johnson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1904705

Great signing IMO. We have DEPTH at SG/SF, even though we might not have a starter at the 2. Prediction for our lineup:

PG - Andre Miller, Earl Boykins, Marcus Hatten
    SG - Voshon Lenard, DeMarr Johnson, Greg Buckner
    SF - Carmelo Anthony, Rodney White, Byron Russell
    PF - Kenyon Martin, Marcus Camby, Nikoloz Tskitishvilli
    C - Nene, Francisco Elson, Arthur Johnson

We need offense off of the bench, we go with Johnson and White (provided White isn't suspended for being a dumbass in Washington). We need D, we go with Buckner and Russell. We need sucking, in comes Skita.

BTW, keep an eye out for Arthur Johnson. I heard great things about him at the scrimmage and before this last year (his senior year) at Mizzou, many thought he would be a high first round pick. He won't get many minutes, but he could be a future contributor for us. If Skita is traded (I don't rule it out), then Mark Pope will make the team (I didn't like cutting him, but had to).

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

As much as i HATE the Nuggets, thats a pretty damn good line up. I just see them lossing alot at the Center position, I dont think Nene will be able to pull it off.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why wouldn't Camby start at center over Nene, who has been a pseudo-bust thus far? Is Camby hurt, or are they just preparing themselves for the inevitable? :confused:

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

i'd love to have that pseudo bust starting at PF for the Rockets.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nuggets4,I get the feeling that Denver is treating Skita in a similar manner to Nachbar from the Rockets.
    I would like to know how do you think he will respond to the changes in the team.

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Dude, I know you said psuedo-bust, but still, I think you're underrating Nene a little bit. He looked pretty good last year. His numbers are also pretty decent, I mean almost 12 ppg and 6.5 rpg and 1.5 spg. He will definitely need to up his rebounding numbers, but otherwise I think he fits well on the team. On the Nugs, you have plenty of guys who can put the ball in the hoop (pretty much everyone else in the starting rotation if Nene does start at C)...so 12 ppg is just gravy there. If he can pull down between 8-10 rpg and start blocking more shots, the Nugs could be very dangerous this season.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yeah, I wouldn't call Nene a pseudo bust yet. His production isn't as far along as you'd like, but this kid can definitely play. I expect a breakout season from him this year. Now if he has an "ehh" season this year, then maybe we can start up with the "bust" talk.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That is why I thought they should start Camby, who last year got 10 rpg and blocked 2+ shots. I just don't see how Nene (I feel like such a goober every time I type that) has proven himself to be better than Camby. Nene's numbers have been Taylor-esque thus far.

9. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Breakout season for the Nuggies. Top four in the West?

1. Minnesota
    2. Los Angeles
    3. San Antonio
    4. Denver
    5. Houston
    6. Memphis
    7. Utah
    8. Sacramento

I don't know, I am not really thinking that hard about it.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think there is any need to get really excited about Demarr Johnson. I hope he does well, but I don't see that much of an impact (positive or negative) from his signing.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It shows. J/k, but LA #2 in the West?

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

DJ is an athletic body off the bench, but he doesn't provide the perimeter consistency the Nuggets need.

Q. Richardson or Brent Barry really would have been a good pickup for you guys.

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I have a weird feeling about LA this year - it could be something I ate, the Rudy T thing, that deposition on thesmokinggun.com, or it could be this thought that LA is going to romp this year. Like I said, just a feeling.

I am not clear on how the divisions affect seedings this year; I was thinking LA might win the pacific, but that is not the same thing anymore. Is it Division Winners get seeds 1-2-3? I wonder.

14. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I have the Nugs pegged for 3rd in the West, but Nene isn't a starting center. His rebounding/block totals over extended minutes don't add up.

15. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I don't understand Nene starting over camby either. After having a breakout season and getting a new contract I'd think Camby would be one of the top go to guys on the team, yet he might not even start? I know sometimes they like to bring guys off the bench to play 30+ minutes, but I don't think this would be a good time. I just don't see the point in putting a shorter (but not necescarily smaller) guy to start in his place. Maybe they don't want Martin and Nene fighting because one got to start and the other didn't.

Pugs

16. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

The simple logic behind Nene over Camby is the fact that Camby is what you would call "more fragile than fine china". If we can save his minutes, like we did last year, he'll be better in the long run. Plus, I'm hoping that the starting position will motivate Nene a little more.

Kelly, I agree about his rebound numbers. That's a VERY sore spot for Nugs fans right now.

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I strongly disagree. I do not see the Nuggs finish with a better record than the Griz and the Rockets. The best I see them finishing is the 7th overall position in the west. I am not even sure they will do better than Utah Jazz. Maybe I am missing soething but I do not see why many people rate them this high. They are a fun team to watch but their on paper beauty will not meet their on the court performance.

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I'm hoping for the same thing.

That said, Camby isn't a Steve Nash/Jermaine O'Neal/Brad Miller type. His injury issues don't come from overuse, they stem from the fact that he's made of finely-spun silk. He's prone to injury whether he plays half a minute or 48.

Camby played (off the top of my head) 65-70 games last year at right around 30 minutes, and he was looking great during the playoffs. This is a guy that passed out while standing during the national anthem. Minutes don't matter with Camby. Marcus pisses me off, Kiki probably overpaid for him and he won't play more than 60 games this year ... but he's best served starting.

Though Kenyon can hit the open jumper, you need a balance between your 5 and 4. With Nene and Martin out there, you'll have two players hanging around the low block, or the baseline, looking for the post-up or lob. With Camby out on the high post, either Nene or Martin will have room in the paint to work.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Don't underestimate the Nuggets.* This is the most athletic, high tempo team they've had as far back as I can remember. Almost everyone on the roster is a full-court player, which, combined with the mile-high homecourt advantage, has the potential of making them a lethal team at the Pepsi Center. 35 wins at home won't be a feat out of their reach. If they manage to go just 0.500 on the road, that makes them a 55-win team.

Evan

* - regular season only.

20. rednene

rednene Member

Nuggets4,

i just wanted to express my sincere thanks in having kept us informed of the Nuggets' DEMISE and hopes throughout the years. when i become saturated with the seemingly endless ramblings of irksome rokets fans, i always turn to the NBA dish to see if you or other Nugget lurkers have said anything of my now second favorite team.

i have been following nene since he left Brazil and was wondering how fans perceive him in Denver. has he underperformed? how does he get along with his teammates? has his nationality brought about an interest in learning more about brazil as much as yao has in Houston?

once again, thanks for the comments!