1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jameis Winston investigated for sexual battery

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by el gnomo, Nov 13, 2013.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Slut shaming/smearing is just as bad as people jumping all over Winston pre-maturely.

Knock it off.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Auburn National Champions of the People!

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Florida State opens an investigation of Jameis Winston: <a href="http://t.co/ZfUWn8OGv9">http://t.co/ZfUWn8OGv9</a> <a href="http://t.co/VCcgep8Qmt">pic.twitter.com/VCcgep8Qmt</a></p>&mdash; USA TODAY Sports (@USATODAYsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/USATODAYsports/status/507635101954347008">September 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[rQUOTEr]Florida State is proceeding with a school investigation of Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Jameis Winston related to the alleged rape of a fellow FSU student in 2012, an attorney for the woman told USA TODAY Sports.

Florida State officials traveled to where the woman lives in early August to interview her for the first time since she reported the alleged assault to police in Dec. 2012.

"They assured us that the Title IX process was going to move forward," said John Clune, a Title IX attorney representing the woman. "The interview went pretty well. I think it was a positive experience, and everyone felt like the university was taking it very seriously."

Clune said the lengthy interview with his client gave FSU more information than it previously had from the Tallahassee police department investigation. He said FSU officials interviewed two other people but that he does not know if Winston has been interviewed.

"We expect that there will be code of conduct charges that will be brought," he said. "There's no basis not to bring those charges now."

Citing federal privacy laws, Florida State spokeswoman Browning Brooks said the school could not discuss an individual students' case. "While we cannot comment on any individual case, in general, complainants control the timing in our process," she said.

Tim Jansen, Winston's attorney, did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

The New York Times first reported news of the FSU investigation earlier Thursday.

The woman filed a complaint with the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights, which opened an investigation of how FSU handles sexual assaults in April. That investigation is ongoing.

Under Title IX, schools are required to investigate and adjudicate cases of sexual harassment and violence regardless of the outcome of any criminal investigation. If Winston did face code of conduct charges from the university, a decision regarding responsibility would be made based on a "preponderance of the evidence" standard, in accordance with federal guidelines.

OCR also advises Title IX investigations should take no longer than 60 day to complete.

Florida State did not meet with Winston until January, more than a year after the alleged assault and a few weeks after he led the Seminoles to a BCS national championship and unbeaten season.

Baine Kerr, a Title IX attorney for the woman, told USA TODAY Sports in April that FSU suspended its investigation, at least in part, because Winston refused to answer questions.

After an investigation by the state attorney's office in November and December 2013, Winston was not charged criminally related to the case. The woman left school in November as news of the rape allegation dominated national headlines.

"It's unfortunate that it's happening so late because it would have been nice to see this happen at a time that it might have been of help to our client," said Clune. "But we're encouraged that they seem to be taking this seriously and she'll certainly help with whatever they need."

Clune said he expects to hear shortly what the next steps could be in the case. FSU's inquiry related to Winston comes as the Seminoles beat Oklahoma State to open the season on Saturday. They remain atop the Amway Coaches Poll and Winston remains a contender to repeat as a Heisman Trophy winner.

FSU faces The Citadel on Saturday before its bye week on Sept. 14.

"I think the issue is there are definitely some people at this university that really want to do the right thing and want to comply with the law," said Clune. "But it seems like there's a power struggle between those folks and people that would be just fine to just see this go away.

"We're dealing with one of the most powerful athletic departments in the country with the No. 1 football team in the nation and I think we'll know very shortly how much control that athletic department has."

During the criminal investigation, Winston said through his lawyer that the sexual encounter was consensual. He did not answer questions from Tallahassee police or the state attorney's office during that inquiry.

Two of Winston's teammates faced code of conduct charges from the school related to their involvement. Chris Casher and Ronald Darby provided sworn affidavits during the criminal investigation that they had witnessed the encounter.

In an interview with TPD, Casher said he had recorded it on his phone but had deleted it and no longer had that phone.

After a hearing in May, Darby was found not responsible for the two code of conduct charges he faced. According to the Wall Street Journal, Casher was found responsible for "acts that invade privacy of another person" and "recording images without consent," for which he received a year of probation.

On Wednesday, the school launched an initiative called kNOw MORE to address sexual assaults on campus. With a focus on preventing sexual violence, the campaign seeks to educate students, faculty and staff about the meaning of consent, prevention, intervention and provide resources for sexual assault victims.

Clune called increasing awareness and talking about the issues constructive steps.

"It's a start. It's a good thing," he said. "The initiative that they've launched is something that is needed there, and ultimately what has to happen at some of these schools is really a fundamental change of climate on campus.

"The school has more that they need to do to change their policies, and they know that, but I don't want to take away from the initiative they launched yesterday."[/rQUOTEr]

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hurry up Texans and tank so we can draft him before he goes to jail!!

7. Fantasma Negro

Today we learned why the Texans cut Andre Brown and now we know why they traded for Mallet. Jameis Winston is going to prison

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

#328 ipaman, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. 713

713 Member

He got suspended for standing on a table yesterday in the Student Union on campus for yelling out "**** Her Right in the p***y." lol jaimes dont care.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LVUuhzSiBJk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

If I ever get Manziel disease, I want all of you to smack me in the head with your microphones”

Has anyone smacked him yet?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston has been suspended for the first half of Saturday's game against Clemson after he was seen shouting an obscene sexual phrase on campus Tuesday.

FSU interim president Dr. Garnett S. Stokes and athletic director Stan Wilcox denounced Winston's "offensive and vulgar" behavior in a statement Wednesday to announce the punishment.

"As the university's most visible ambassadors, student-athletes at Florida State are expected to uphold at all times high standards of integrity and behavior that reflect well upon themselves, their families, coaches, teammates, the Department of Athletics and Florida State University," the joint statement said. "Student-athletes are expected to act in a way that reflects dignity and respect for others."

The joint statement also said Winston would undergo "internal discipline."

On Tuesday, Florida State students began flooding Twitter as several witnessed the reigning Heisman Trophy winner allegedly stand on a table in or in the immediate vicinity of the student union and yell obscenities, mimicking a popular Internet video. The phrase is of a sexual nature.

Winston apologized for his "selfish" act.

"First of all, I want to apologize to the university, my coaches and to my teammates," Winston said. "I'm not a 'me' person, but in that situation, it was a selfish act and that's not how you do things around here.

"I want to apologize to my teammates because I have now made a selfish act for them. That's all."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11542412/florida-state-seminoles-qb-jameis-winston-suspended-first-half-game-clemson-tigers-shouting-obscene-phrase-public

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect plain-ol-students can shout obscenities to their heart's content and still go and see the first half of that football game.

This is just plain silly.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

this guy is dumber than a box of rocks

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

LOL, "Im not a me person." dude has bigger ego than Smash Williams

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

LOL:

"If I get Manziel Disease, I want every one of y'all to get your mics and just start hitting me on the head."

Womp womp womp...

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This guy is going to crash and burn so hard in the NFL.

17. Fantasma Negro

What a sad society. Ppl see this huge athlete that can play two sports and start imagining ways that he could be financially exploited and forget that he's a 20 yr old college student. When I was a 20 yr old college student me and a bunch of my friends got drunk and flipped two subcompact cars. He yelled a joke in a crowded room and gets suspended? What a weak and pathetic society we live in. Tebow is run off, RG3 has to flip his Jesus t shirt inside out and a 20 yr old college student can't act like a 20 yr old student. But Ray Rice, Greg Hardy can beat the crap out of women and worry more about playing time than jail time. Donte Stallworth and Josh Brent killed ppl and are on nfl rosters and of course we're forced to watch two dudes dry hump each other during the draft. What exactly is the message that's trying to be sent here? Smh

1 person likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

NFL? You mean Raiders. Lulz on them and their inevitable choice to draft the guy. "Bo Jackson part 2, he's gonna play baseball too" Lulz.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

how is what he said offensive to anybody? I get that it's obscene.

1 person likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Hey it is Winston being Winston.... Just waiting on the next stupid thing he does and hoping it doesn't end in rape.