1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin won't shoot 3pters and it's killing the team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James88, Nov 10, 2013.

1. James88

James88 Member

I know there's alot of other issues, TT lineup, perimeter defense (Harden mainly), McHale being the coach, but as for Jeremy Lin, I think alot of you don't realize his #1 problem that he could easily fix anytime he chooses to.

Imagine if we had a 40% 3pt shooting guard who refused to shoot 3pt shots and turned the ball over instead. Well, we do. His name is Jeremy Lin.

Here's every playing from the previous season, who
    1) played 1200 minutes
    2) shot 40% from 3pt line
    That's a total of 31 players, sorted by ascending order.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/oBM16
    [​IMG]

Jeremy so far this year, averages
    2.7 3PA/36min
    3.9 TO/36min
    Last year, he averaged
    3.5 3PA/36min
    3.2 TO/36min

Jeremy isn't running the offense for that many possessions, but he plays the role like he's supposed to be Steve Nash, Rondo, or Rubio. Even with PB&J backcourt, Bev brings the ball up. What Lin needs to realize is that to give the Rockets the best chance to win is to embody the mindset that guys like Klay Thompson or Ray Allen have. He needs to ****ing shoot anytime he catches the ball behind the 3pt line.

What he does instead is dribble, probe, ask for a pick, etc. Just ****ing shoot. What ends up happening too often instead is that he gives up a turnover, a live ball one too. Considering how well he's shot the last few months of last year, the preseason, the first 6 games, I'm believing he's a legit 40% 3pt shooter.

Well guess what, that's now your ****ing strength. You'd think that someone who went to Harvard would realize, oh ****, maybe I should start jacking up 6 or 7 of these every 36min. But no, unless he's so wide open to the point, that it's blatantly obvious he should shoot, he's just passing up 3pt shots.

He should be doing what Redick, Allen, Thompson, Crawford does. As soon as you have any ****ing daylight, shoot the ****ing ball. Have some 1-10 or 0-7 3pt shooting games. Just shoot the ****ing ball. It's almost like he's passing up open layups, so he can risk turning the ball instead.

This wouldn't be so bad, if he wasn't also turnover prone, but he is incredibly turnover prone. You know how to reduce turnovers? Shoot a 3pter. Hey Jeremy, a missed 3pt shot is like a turnover, but better, since it could've gone in, you might rebound it, and also your defense has a chance to get back.

Jeremy Lin spends all summer perfecting his 3pt shot, but refuses to shoot them and turns the ball over instead.
    /rant

Lin has played well overall. I'm just pointing out one ridiculous hole in his game that he doesn't realize, and someone on this coaching staff should be drilling into his head. LOFs feel free to blame McHale, since I can't imagine Pop or SVG not pointing this out to Lin. Passing up these 3pt shots is actually really poor decision making on his part.

If Lin is playing correctly, he should have 1 or 2 shots every game, where it looks like he jacked up a 3pt shot with a guy in his face. Those are the types of mistakes he should be making, the Jamal Crawford or JR Smith type of 3pt shots.

2 people like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't want him to shoot contested threes, but I agree there has been one or two times each game when he's been open enough to shoot but passed instead.

3. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

you want him to shoot 3. you got to make plays and set him up. mchale isnt doing that for him.

1 person likes this.
  4. kastuul

kastuul Member

First, Lin's teammates didn't move the ball as well as he does
    As a PG, he is the last one to shoot.

He wants to drive and draw fouls even if he has open 3.
    I agree it is more efficient.
    But once the opponents expect and adjust, the efficiency would decline.

5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

No.

Lin should not be jacking up threes willy nilly and neither should Harden Garcia or anyone else. The threes should come as a result of the ball movement finding the open man.

If what you are trying to say is that Lin is passing up on open 3s and preferring instead to drive then fair enough. Lin natural game is to drive and create and sometimes thats hard to change.

6. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

McHell asking a pass-first PG to shoot and a shoot-first SG to pass.

7. James88

James88 Member

Watch the game. 40% 3pt shooters jack up shots at any opportunity. Look at that list. Foye, Carter, Green, Novak, etc. Coaches are drawing up those shots for those players.

McHale sucks, but his mistake isn't not drawing up 3pt opportunities for Jeremy. It's that he doesn't realize Jeremy should be aiming to have 7 3PA/36min. But Jeremy doesn't need McHale to fix this. He could literally just take more threes on his own. He's in the game. Look for shots, not drives as your initial offense.

Jeremy uses 3pt shots to balance out his drive-and-dish first mentality. He should be using drives to balance out his shoot first mentality.

8. joelcwu

joelcwu Member

Sum it up really well.

9. James88

James88 Member

You guys are dense. Do you realize that Jeremy is the only 40% 3pt shooter that shoots as little as he does. He other names are Nash, Lebron, Durant, Dirk. Jeremy isn't those players.

10. James88

James88 Member

Jeremy should be trying to imitate Curry not Nash.

11. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Oh the irony.

There are literally 2-3 times I see him get a pass from someone and he's wide open and he just drives into the lane, resulting in a turnover or a horrible contested shot. Like literally no one near him within 5 feet and hes right on the 3pt line. he does that pump fake which works only when someone is close to him but then drives into the lane where more people are waiting. Just shoot the damn ball when you're that wide open.

12. James88

James88 Member

I know the average fan is a ****ing moron. So let me explain how horrible of a decision making this is for Jeremy. Is it literally like passing up an open layup to a guy for a midrange jumper. IT'S ****ING MORONIC, and Jeremy does it a few times every game.

13. James88

James88 Member

Jeremy would probably have a PER over 20. Do you guys realize how dumb this is yet?

14. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Jeremy doesnt want to shoot the 3 as he was not given the green light to do so. If the coaching staff told him that he would have been more comfy to shoot the threeball

1 person likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol it's not on Jeremy....

Beverley, Harden, Garcia, Casspi and Parsons all have to shoot a good percentage

16. James88

James88 Member

No way this is true. These are open 3's with a guy 3 ft away getting picked.

Jeremy instead holds the balls, drives into traffic, or passes to another guy on the perimeter who isn't open for 3. Just ****ing shoot. I love Jeremy, but this bone-headed decision making is 100% on him.

17. keldraco

keldraco Member

yeah he need to balance his offense a bit with those 3 pointers and some pull up jump shot

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

JaVale McGee, Andre Drummond, Al Horford, and Meyers Leonard won't shoot more 3pters and it's killing their teams.

1 person likes this.
  19. James88

James88 Member

If you're a 40% 3pt shooter (like Jeremy Lin), then when you keep taking these 3pt shots, the coaching staff will realize, oh **** it, let him shoot. Jeremy's unselfish is a huge detriment. ****ing shoot.

I'm a little drunk right now, but I'm still smarter than McHale.

20. James88

James88 Member

You win the internet.