1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Milo Hamilton to announce broadcast retirement

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Feb 14, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastro...nt/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

He will be missed..

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Talk about a major rebuild. This orginazation will be unrecognizable next season

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

He may have deteriorated over the years, but you can't dismiss 65 years of broadcasting regardless.

Good job Milo.

5. TheresTheDagger

Feels almost like Houston getting a expansion franchise.

New owner.
    New league.
    New announcer.
    No recognizable players.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wow, maybe they SHOULD go ahead and change the name of the team. It's gonna be unrecognizable anyways.

65 years of service from Milo. While I wasn't his biggest fans these past few years (having to listen for 3+ innings just to get a score update, him neglecting to call the plays on the field while he was in the middle of a story, etc), he's still one of the guys who make the sport what it is. Thank you Milo.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, there's your Hall of Famer.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There is a god.

I'll happily acknowledge his place in history. But you cannot argue that he's been simply terrible for a long time. I'm not sure I can forgive him for how poorly he called the final out in the 2005 NLCS...marking the Astros first trip to the World Series. He called it like it was the 2nd out in the 3rd inning of a random spring training game. Listening to him drool over every female that comes within 20 ft of the booth is disgusting. Not hearing a score for innings upon innings is just plain annoying. The dramatic pause when a pitch is hit into play is frustrating...

"And here's the pitch...

Let's welcome all the groups that made it out to the park tonight."

I can now renew my "Call up Mike Capps" campaign. He's the radio announcer for the Round Rock Express. He is as good as it gets. If you ever get a chance to listen to him, do so. He calls the game as a fan would dream to.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Wow. I was at FanFest this past weekend and Milo said that he was so re-energized that he could call games for 3 more years. 3 more years would have meant that he would have called games for 70 years.

I always enjoyed listening to him, although he was certainly slipping towards the latter stages of his career. I don't like Dave Raymond or Brett Dolan, but I can tolerate them somewhat.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

And yeah, I listened to him, George Postolos, Brad Mills, and Jeff Luhnow talk about the season. Milo looked pretty bored up on the stand.

11. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I have some fond memories of my parents turning on the radio to listen to Astros games after dinner since they were behind the curve on getting cable so that was the only option if we wanted to catch the game.

One game that stands out in my memory was the DK no hitter. I remember listening to that around the kitchen table, hanging on every word.

Thanks for the good memories Milo.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn. First the Rockets with the changes....now Astros.

Radio just doesn't seem the same.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Good job Crane-o.

Kammyo was hating Milo-lo a lot these days.

1 person likes this.
  14. cardpire

cardpire Member

haha. thread is cracking me up. i salute the man, and recognize and respect his past, but he was downright comical to listen to the past couple years. can't say i will miss him at this point. happy trails, milo.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Love Milo but... this should have happened a decade ago.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Whoops, I'm trippin' a bit. 3 more years would have put Milo at 60 years of broadcasting.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I appreciate the fact Milo is one of a dying breed, a lifer that started at an earlier age than anyone today would... Further I appreciate that he has been part of the Astros for over 25 years...

Having said that, he is a bad guy... And I will leave it at that.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Come on now. Carlos Lee is still here. And lets not forget our longest tenured player, Humberto Quintero. :eek:

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It was time.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Past time.