1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up with Marcus Morris?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slothy420, Apr 13, 2012.

1. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I know that he was sent to the D-League at the beginning of the season in order to get playing time and develop. He then got hurt and was out of commission for a while, but he was called back up in Feb and has since gotten very little PT.

I don't know if it's just a matter of the SF (or even PF) position being too crowded, lack of experience as a NBA 3, not working hard enough in practice, character issues or what, but it's somewhat disappointing that not only is our (late) lotto pick not doing jack, but that there is so little news about him other than bar fights and shoe endorsements.

I suppose it could be true, but I have a hard time believing that the reason why he's not getting more than a few minutes here and there is that he just plain sucks. I don't get the chance to watch very many games, but I'd really like to hear how he's progressing (or even regressing, if that's the case). If anyone has any insight on this matter, I'd really like to hear it.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I went to the Utah game at TC a couple of days ago and got there early. I noticed Morris out on the court with a ballboy shooting 3's then mid range jumpers 40 minutes before warmups. He looked like he was out there for a while. Glad to see him putting in work.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That tweener thing just isn't working for him. He just isn't ready yet.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Chandler Parsons

5. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Yes that's what happened.

6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

he misses his brother

7. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

He'll get to see him (play) tonight.

8. slothy420

Seems like we could of used some 3's that night...

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I thought when Millsap and Hayward were torching us at the 3 spot McHale would have given Morris a shot at seeing what he could do. Instead he goes into a zone and we go deeper in the whole. Now we bring in some kid from the other side of the earth who hasn't shown anything at this level.

Can Morris be that bad in practice. Or is it McHale's doghouse deep and wide. Clearly TWill is playing better away from here. Yeah I know he started Parsons over Bud but Parsons was a unique rookie who just got it right out the bag.

This has been a tough season for rookies in that you have no summer league or preseason and the schedule doesn't have many real practices. There's very little time to bring the young uns along but still it's the coach's responsibility. Morris wasn't my pick but I think he is still very good. Somehow McHale has to put him situations he can be successful.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morris simply isn't good enough to play. The Rockets are trying to win every game and playing their best players. Those players don't include Morris.

I still have high hopes for Morris long term, but for this season he seems unlikely to make any impact.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Whats up with Marcus Morris is that he is being developed.

And despite the common misconception, developed does not equal playing in games. Developed means he is listening in practices, studying game film, working on his post moves in practice and understanding the offense.

There is no reason for him to be playing in the heat of a playoff race. You will probably see him play next year after some of our pieces have been moved in trades and he is ready.

The "he is not good enough" opinion is garbage in my opinion. He just is not ready.

#11 larsv8, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  12. slothy420

I just find that so surprising given the level he played at in college. I mean, I know that success in one doesn't translate to the other, but he could flat out ball when he was a Jayhawk. Meanwhile, his brother is playing pretty well in PHO.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

he has no confidence in his shot right now, he is a scrub when he plays any games.

So there is your answer.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

His skills are there. with Parsons and Bud in front of him, i only care about his attitude right now. They'll keep trying to develop him, but he needs to be patient. Having a bad attitude about it is the worst thing that can happen, like Twill. Fortunately, he's been a great cheerleader and seems to be enjoying being on the team.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is true. Especially the part about the playoff race. If he takes well to the process, soaks it up, and learns something, it will ultimately make him a better pro.

Im also under the impression that before almost every NBA game, the players who will not be in the rotation that night go through a full on workout and practice with some of the assistants and player development guys. Just because there isnt much time in between games for practice doesn't mean he's sitting on the bench rotting away all day long.

16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I said it before the season - Morris is not an NBA 3...and still I stand by that 100%. He needs to accept that he's a stretch 4, like his brother (I know he has slightly more ball skills than his brother, but he's still a 4).

It was a wasted pick, but Parsons' emergence makes everything better.

17. slothy420

I sincerely hope that's a big part of why he hasn't been playing

I'd really like to know if he is actually soaking anything up... and not just the standard, politically correct BS from the organization. Perhaps we'll just have to wait to see what he does on the floor when he does get more than 6 minutes PT.

I think calling Morris a wasted pick is a bit premature, although I guess it depends on what your expectations were when he was drafted.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Too early to declare the man a wasted asset (sic). By all accounts he was always better than his bro, so no, I am far short of believing the man is of no consequence.

BTW - - I would not be surprised to see PHX make a bid for MM to join with MM. It might be the proverbial win-win deal. :grin:

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nothing is up with Morris. Just chillin' on the bench. Rockets can always fix the Morris mistake by drafting another 6'9 PF with the 1_th pick. And then they can tell us how great he'll be and win fans over at the introductory press conference ;)

20. slothy420

Do you mean Terrence Jones or Jared Sullinger, lol?