1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let's get Paul Dalglish from the Aztex.

DD

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I have a ton of respect for what Dom has done and still can do as a manager... but it is probably time for a shake up. Good luck to him and thanks for the memories!

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not sure what their criteria will be but I imagine he'd fit. Former player for the team, has been successful as a coach (with the Aztex), and likely to come cheap.

If there are any plans to tear down and start over with a younger team, he might be a good choice.

4. Beavis Stiffler

I still think John Spencer is a good choice to replace Kinnear. He has head coaching experience when he was in Portland. But who knows? It could be anyone. Just hope it's not David Moyes or Chepo De La Torre.

5. Beavis Stiffler

[​IMG]

Thursday Night Soccer on ESPN2. It starts at 7:00pm

It's the last home game of the 2014 season. Let's win one last time for the Dom.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How come we can't have an Asian Brother on the team? New England has two.

One foreign born, one home born.

7. Beavis Stiffler

Lee Nguyen is one of the most underrated and under-appreciated Asian American athletes. Looking at his numbers this year, he is considered a candidate for MLS MVP.

The national media should be talking and writing a story about Nguyen instead of the over-hyped, overrated Jeremy Lin. I guess it's because Lin plays in big-market teams of a major pro sports league and the so-called sports, news, and entertainment media don't talk much about MLS except when Beckham arrived.

8. Beavis Stiffler

There's a small mention about the Dynamo in this article regarding AEG and Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11703900/major-shareholders-cut-ties-golden-boy-promotions

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

MLS announces new strategy for Los Angeles market, 2015 conference alignment

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was about time they got rid of Chivas USA. Who knew that you couldn't appeal to the Mexican-American crowd in LA by choosing the name, branding and ownership of only team in Mexico that plenty of people don't like?

That said, I am still concerned about MLS' latest round of expansion. Perhaps I'm biased, but a few of these cities should not be getting teams. I understand the allure of population centers like Atlanta and Miami, but Atlanta has a terrible history of supporting its teams (to the extent that the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg) and all of Miami's attempts to secure land for a stadium have been shot down by the city government. This isn't to mention Miami's reputation as the worst professional sports city in the US.

If MLS is intent on expanding at this pace (which I believe is too fast), it should look toward markets where the fans, not demographics and money, actively want a team. Sacramento, San Antonio, Minneapolis, etc. are all markets with vocal supporters of NASL teams that, at least to me, seem to want a team more than Atlanta or Miami.

11. SexyButIgnorant

The last game against the Revolution was the first time I even heard of Lee Nguyen. Man, that dude was crazy good. He was LEAGUES beyond the quality of any other player on the field. Seriously.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have a feeling Miami won't happen in the end. Nothing has been promised to them unless they get a downtown stadium...and that doesn't appear to be anywhere near close to happening.

I think Atlanta will be successful. I was in Atlanta the day they made the announcement and there was legitimate excitement across the city. The Silverbacks have been pretty well represented there. I think Orlando (and pretty much anything in Florida) is a bad idea. SA, Sacramento and Minneapolis would be great additions.

13. mtbrays

Supporting Member

That's good to hear about Atlanta. I think the best thing MLS has going for it as it nears an average 20k attendance per game (minus Seattle and Chivas, the two outliers this season) is its game-day atmosphere. The league needs to continue to push for soccer-specific stadiums in cities hungry for a live experience that is better than many other sports.

To that end, full stadiums are a must for the league. That is why I doubt Miami's ability to achieve this and not detract from the league. It's also why I'm cautious about NYCFC until they finalize a stadium agreement in the city. Yankee Stadium is not a good soccer venue and I worry its sight lines will turn off fans and crowd interaction with the game over a long season.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

He can ball.

He's from the Dallas area. Signed with psv in the Dutch leagues. I think they had a management change which messed things up. Ended up playing in some Vietnamese league before coming back stateside to mls.

He was on the us national team radar.

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They DID appeal. They just SUCKED... like... A LOT. They didn't even post good records with points... they barely made it into the "playoffs" the years they had decent seasons. Basically, a BAD team. Mexicans or "Mexican-American" crowds will like a winner, regardless of how it's called. The name is the #2 most popular team in Mexico. Why not? The team just plain and simply sucked.

LOLs. That's not a trade, that's a SALE. :grin:

17. Beavis Stiffler

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Surprised about Tally, sad to see him go

I am definitely not satisfied with Deric becoming a full time starter...

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If they're freeing up space, they better sign someone good.

20. mtbrays

Supporting Member

OK, Chivas is popular in Mexico. But, wouldn't that be like starting a new baseball team called the New York Yankees of Tokyo or something and expecting people to blindly become fans of that team in spite of long-held rivalries? Why would a Tigres, Pumas or America fan in Los Angeles suddenly become a Chivas USA fan when the Galaxy are in town and the owners are also the same as Guadalajara's?