1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Violin for a beginner

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by RudyTBag, May 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to learn how to play the Violin.

Anyone have one laying around maybe?

2. HombreDeHierro

i have a viola... it'll need some fixing up and cleaning

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

actually I do lol...let me find some pricing info

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Make sure to stock up on rosin, strings, bow strings and some Suzuki books. And probably a metronome; this might be a little harder without a group/orchestra.

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. RUDYG

RUDYG Member

Just get the app much better

8. Apps

Apps Member

The first couple Suzuki books would probably be beneficial for laying a foundation, but if you actually want to get into an exceptionally proficient groove you'll want to ditch those books at some point and take on more true-to-the-source sheet music.

Also OP, don't do the "teach yourself" thing. It's already very difficult for older people to challenge their minds abstractly with new languages and instruments (especially one that requires a particularly HIGH degree of technique and coordination like the violin) without having professional guidance, so don't think you can just pick it up and learn. You will more than likely need somebody to teach you the basics, and especially how to keep your technique solid while you're sight-reading notes.

The violin is very unlike the guitar and piano in that you can't "figure things out" by fiddling around with it (no pun intended). It's a very delicate instrument that requires nuance and grace. Obviously you would need a musical background to get anything out of a guitar or piano, but a violin is a whole 'nother animal.

9. king2440

king2440 Member

Still Looking for one?

10. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

You can make one out of Legos. My son made a guitar!

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Thanks for checking it out Kim!

Hmmm... I'm really not sure what I'm prepared to pay. If I can't buy one for a reasonable price I might rent one. 100 bucks?

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Thanks Apps I appreciate that...
    Absolutely...

13. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

If you plan on buying, you really won't find a quality violin for less than 300. If you know a violin shop around you, go and check some out.

14. king2440

king2440 Member

Hey Knote..

I got one thats probably about 10 years old from Lisle's violin shop located here in Houston. Just been trying to get rid of it. It's a full size violin, case, bow and all the goods; I may even have a stand.

What were you looking to spend on one? The one I got would be perfect for a beginner/novice, so not looking for too much. Let me know!

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Hmm, well that used one sold for $360 so, I gotta pass for now. I'm thinking $200, but eventually, I'm going to head off to the pawn shop or guitar center or H&H and see what I can get for it, then I'll come back here and let you know and then offer you less. Gotta be honest, this is not really on my to do list so it could take weeks.