1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Sorry guys, Yao isn't going anywhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3009192

Sean Deveney basically writes that teams like the Lakers and Warriors are lining up to snag Yao Ming in 2006, but they shouldn't bother because he will almost assuredly resign with the Rockets.

2. noize

noize Contributing Member

The writer said he scored 27pts. on Serbia, but wasn't it like 39pts?

Anyway, in his autobioaraphy his mother said CD is like a grandfather to him, so I don't think he would want to leave his grandfather would he?:)

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

The bit about CD and his repoire with Team Yao is interesting and good to hear. I'm not worried about losing Yao, but money's not going to be the reason he stays, even if we can ultimately offer him more money (earlier) than everyone else. Yao will stay because he feels the Rockets are capable of winning, his teammates are okay, the organization treats him right, and living in Houston doesn't completely suck. If those things are true come next offseason, we have nothing to worry except for maybe the city where Ye Li ends up playing WNBA basketball.

4. Matador

Matador Member

Great post Clutch. I was about to post this same article. CD bashers should really read this article.

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

thanks Clutch. i hope other teams listen to this article and leave Yao alone

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Ye Li, better be the #1 draft pick of the Comets

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

No facts to back up dude's opinion.

I also think Yao will stay, especially after Jeff Van Gundy is removed in favor of a championship caliber head coach who knows something about offense.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

No he's right. The 39 pts was against New Zealand.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great article...Yao should stay...I'd be heart broken if he didn't, but I think this is a good situation for him and he knows it...

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

If I give this thread five stars, can I rate THIS POST with one star ?

11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Why do people keep saying that Yao is an "odd fit" in Texas? What evidence does anyone have that he isn't comfortable here or that he would be more comfortable on the West Coast in a "sprawling Asian community"?

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Does anyone remember what Denevey wrote about Yao before the draft? This guy is a hack, stating the obvious.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

If 'Yao Is Going Nowhere' is obvious, then let's all us hacks state and restate the obvious. It makes me feel goooood. :)

14. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

but his mom is china. So would he ever listen to his mom?

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No offense, but your opinions about Van Gundy are getting to be borderline ridiculous. No wait- they ARE ridiculous! I could see it if this was a coach who really stunk and did not have a winning record- but come on, you're going to tell me he's that bad? And Popovich for the Spurs is a championship-caliber coach? So you're telling me that a guy who prepares almost more for his job than any other coach, who holds his players to high standards, who is respected around the league, whose former players have nothing but good things to say about him, who has led his teams to the playoffs and winning records, who puts an emphasis on defense like, say, Larry Brown- you mean to tell me that this is not a championship-caliber coach? Weak, weak, weak argument- you have almost no statistical basis to back up your assertions, the facts are certainly not in your favor, so what this tells me is that you just personally have this thing against him in spite of his good qualities. What- did he not autograph your program or something? Geez, please come up with something new- it just doesn't work anymore.

16. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

I sure hope Yao don't accept the extension contract from Rockets in 2005 yet, because you never know how big the world is until you step outside and check it out.

17. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I agree

(see my posted above - giving his cheap shot at JVG a rating of ONE STAR)

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The whole "Nnngh!! What about Ye Li's team in the WNBA?!!" argument is pretty silly if you think about it. First of all, she already tried out for the WNBA and didn't make it. I thought the Olympics showed that Yao is pretty much the only thing China's got resembling a world-class b-baller.

Second, even if she did play in the WNBA in a town other than Houston... doesn't Yao have to go back to China each offseason anyway? What, he's all of a sudden going to start traveling around with this WNBA team or something? Is he going to stay in the U.S. all summer? Yeah right. The guy is commited to his national team.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Um... the guy doesn't live under a rock. He plays in GS and LA four and eight times a year, respectively. He's seen California.

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Here, here nice post