1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets eye Brooks-Lowry combo in the backcourt- Rockets.com

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/rockets_eye_brookslowry_combo_2009_09_29.html

Houston's One-Two Punch
    Rockets eye Brooks-Lowry combo in the backcourt
    Jason Friedman
    Rockets.com Staff Writer

Houston - “We have to go best player and not be dogmatic about traditional position designations. Only $35MM on the floor to start year.”

- Rockets GM Daryl Morey via Twitter, September 18

That quote, perhaps more than any other, allows fans invaluable insight into the mindset possessed by the Houston Rockets’ staff as the team kicks off its training camp for the 2009-10 season. With go-to guys Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady on the shelf to begin the year, the coming campaign promises to be a grand basketball experiment of sorts, with plenty of positional shape-shifting sure to take place in the days and weeks to come...

2. Francis 4 ever

Lowry
    Brooks
    Shane
    Ariza
    Scola

Where's the d?

3. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

this is exactly what i was alluding to in an earlier post today. if Mase can guard 2 guards, i think this duo can be effective a times. i was looking for the stats of when these 2 played together, but I couldnt find it. according to this article, the + minus when these 2 are on the court can be affective.

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Lowry PG/Brooks SG.

Brooks guards the PG, Lowry the SG. lol

Welcome to the smallest backcout in the league, but Brooks is an awesome shooting guards.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if they decide to start the best 5 players, the rotation might look like this:

scola-andersen
    shane-landry
    ariza-chase
    brooks-JT
    lowry

all of those players should be able to beat their counterpart down the court. we may actually be ok on offense, but there is no inside defense... which will hurt perimeter defense.

i haven't been this interested to see how a team plays in a while. so that's a good thing, right?

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

With Lowry, Battier, and Ariza all on the floor, the D is there.

I actually like that line-up, despite its diminutive stature. A lot. If Chuck can show Scola how to lower his center of gravity...

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This won't work. In fact, the idea makes me cringe.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If Ariza is at PF then the D will be even worse than you think.

9. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Definantly not a good thing... Last year we had a top 5 starting lineup, now it's filled with scrubs.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If Ellis and Curry cannot play together, Can Brooks and Lowry play together?

Lowry is a pretty good defender. But, I think it will still depend on matchup.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's perfect!!! I love it. The Rockets are in full tank mode. This lineup is screaming to be abused on defense. Morey wants to get into the top of half of the lottery.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Obliviously it will depend on match ups.

It worked pretty well against the Lakers, IMO.

13. NBAok

NBAok Member

i know remember Luther head at the 2 getting posted up all the time. :mad:

14. Francis 4 ever

With this line up we would play all star game levels of defense with not all star levels of offense. Oh god, we are that team that plays the globetrotters.

15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lowry can guard a lot of two guards. Just when LA and bigger teams like that come to town we have to start Battier/Scola.

16. runamok

runamok Member

Brooks and Lowry will compliment each other well. I think Brooks having to think/ worry running the about running the team affects him dramatically. He may take off in offense now.

Shane and Ariza starting together? I don't know, I think they may rather put a center, Ariza, and Scola, with Shane off the bench.

17. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

You mean role players

18. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

My memory is kind of fuzzy but I think they were on the floor last year as a combo during spurts. Maybe he means it will happen again ... here or there if Adelman feels he needs to change it up during a game.

19. jaybiddyforeal

there was a game against NO last year where lowry got stuck guarding james posey on a switch two possessions in a row both on the left wing about 15 ft from the basket. both times he tried to back kyle down and he didn't move an inch, the first time resulting in a strip that went out of bounds and the second time in a huge brick off the side rim. i think hell be okay down low, hes strong...

20. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

When will people learn that small lineups, especially in the backcourt where the NBA has deeper talent, don't work, aside from a nice change of pace here and there?

I've never been a fan of small lineups. You won't win consistently with them. I understand the intrigue with Brooks and Lowry, but man, that kind of lineup just won't work, especially in the West.