1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do The Rockets Have The Most Explosive Backcourt in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MSU, Mar 3, 2001.

1. MSU

MSU New Member

Hellz Yeah! Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley are no question the best backcourt, if not who is? I my be bias about this subject, considering the fact that i have been a rockets fan forever. If you think about it, there really is no backcourt in the NBA that is as good as Francis and Mobley. What can they not do? They can score, play defense, and make plays for their teamates. Personally i believe that Mobley a second round draft pick was a big pick up for the Rockets. This backcourt is the future for the this organization, and i plead for the front office to keep these two players intact, because they are the future, unless we get Chris Weber. We all know what Francis and Mobley could do if they were together for a while, the sky would be the limit. We should definitly let go of "The Dream" because he is old and wants to really leave. So why don't we listen to probably the best Rocket Player of time. The future is F&M. They will be the best backcourt ever to play i believe if they stay together.

------------------

2. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

OK. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

This is a popular subject around here.

There are other backcourts that are very good. I am not sure which one I would classify as the best.

Vince Carter and Mark Jackson WAS one of the best until it was broken up.

Hardaway and Jones is a formidable one in Miami.

Kidd and Hardaway also could be one of the top, if Hardaway ever gets healthy.

Snow/Iverson/McKie is a three headed monster.

Rose/Miller in Indiana

Jackson/Houston in NY.

I would venture to say that we are the best young backcourt. I will also venture to say that Francis and Mobley (if they stay together) will be one of the most solid and effective backcourts with a bit more experience.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Thank you Tacoma Park! I too think Kidd is one of, if not THE most overrated players in the game.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited March 03, 2001).]

5. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Wow, Tacoma Park. I'll admit, I'm a Kidd fan because of his unselfishness, etc., but you make some VERY good points.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Kidd has to be unselfish, because he has very few scoring skills.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Allen/Cassel is also prett good.

Payton/Mason/Williams/Barry is one of the deeper groups of backcourt players.

But i think our quartet of Steve, Mooch, Shandon, and Cuttino is the best in the league.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

8. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Steve and Cuttino are the best backcourt, no contest.

Ray and Sam are nice, but both are reasons why Milwaukee is the 8th worse defensive team in the league.

Tim and Eddie are not that good. Tim is just limping by nowadays, and Eddie is still a very good player, but far from being a franchise player or even being a pure scorer.

Mark Jackson has not been what the Raptors expected when they signed him, which was part of the reason for his departure. Don't let his high assist total fool you. Vince is Vince, and he is a superstar, so he HAS TO make your backcourt pretty good.

I can't talk about Hardaway since he is injured, but I will talk about Kidd. Alot of people say that people on this BBS bash other point guards to make Francis look better, but I bash Kidd with reason. I really think the guy is overrated. He has no outside shot. The rotation on his shot is horrendous. He runs a good break, but so do the rest of his damn players, which is why the break is so effective for the Suns. It's not just Kidd, it's a collective effort. Without Marion, Robinson and the rest of the Suns running their lanes, Kidd wouldn't have those assists oppertunities. He's not that quick in general, he's just fast with the ball. He doesn't have the ability to take over games. Sure, he can knock down a shot sometimes in crunch time, but he's not the kind of player that you can expect to deliver when the game is on the line. I also think his defense is overrated. He's not that great of an on the ball defender, but a good team defender.

I think he's a good player, just not what the media and other people make him out to be.

------------------

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If by explosive you mean they can combine to score 50-60 on any given night they are pretty high scoring.
    But they also still have the tendency to give up a combined 50 onany given night, so expect to see an exciting game whern these 2 play!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

No doubt, Cat and Steve will be the most formidable backcourt duo for years.

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We do because our backcourt is so young , I have to think Tracy McGrady/Darrel Armstrong is the biggest scoring threat right now though .

------------------
    Church-Going-Foul-mouthed-Pig-Loving Rocket-Fan
    extrodinaire.