1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on with Colin Cowherd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Jun 6, 2014.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=theherd The link isn't up yet. Colin is my guilty pleasure so it was awesome to hear two of my favorite people talking about my favorite team. The most interesting point to me was Morey declining to talk about the Parson's contract situation.

2. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I don't know the rules for NBA free agency but I thought you weren't allowed to talk about what is happening with a free agent?

3. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

You are not allowed to talked about players that under contract with another team. You are free to talk with any free agents.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

I followed your career. I love analytics. I don't love every member of your roster. I'm not in love with James Harden. When you broke into this league, take my audience back, it wasn't as analytics driven. Did you have a moment when you really saw the league turn, where guys like you were being used and heard around the league? When did you really notice it changing?

That was quite a lead in. I love James Harden even if you don't. I would say, our owner Leslie Alexander, he grabbed me out of obscurity. We hadn't won the title in Boston. He gave me a shot. His vision to give me a shot was the first big moment.

I like San Antonio in this series and I think Miami is older and becoming more LeBron dependent. How do you see it analytically when these two teams match up and who do you give the edge to data-wise?

If you look at their play, the Spurs have been superior pretty much all year. Obviously a tougher road. I actually picked Miami, however. Usually the team with the best player wins ... it looked like LeBron would bring them to victory until the cramping issue.

Of all the things LeBron does, I've said before, we look at this roster and if you took him out of this roster, Wade would have to play more and would break down come playoff time and Bosh would have a different role. If he left, how good would they be? What do the analytics tell you?

If you lose the best player in the game, you're gonna be significantly worst. In the East, they'd be a playoff team, given it doesn't take a whole lot to make the playoffs over there.

It's becoming more of a guard/wing league. How do you view Joel Embiid? Are bigs today, are you reluctant because the game has changed on the 7 footers?

I still think you need a dominant big unless you have the best player in the league. It takes a Dwight Howard or Tim Duncan. They are hard to find. I can't comment on Embiid. We haven't had the chance to study him like the top teams have because he's visiting with those teams.

How do you view Tim Duncan historically?

You can't really name many players better. You can definitely argue top five player of all-time. I remember Dennis Lindsey, who was with the Rockets and left for the Spurs, in '07 when he left, one conversation being had across the NBA was how many more years does Tim Duncan have left? He's like Nolan Ryan. Don't ever bet on his career ending. Through hard work off the court and brilliant Spurs management to help him, he's still going strong. It's an amazing feat. They're a very, very good organization.

Lost in the "Let's bash Dwight Howard" narrative of the media was the fact he had a darn good year. I thought he had a nice year. I'm having to defend LeBron because he had cramps. Have we gone all-in on bashing Dwight and he's now undervalued in the league?

He's not undervalued to us. I didn't see a ton of Dwight bashing myself but you're closer to the national media. he had a great year. Obviously best center in the league in our opinion and was the best player in that Portland series. Unfortunately and obviously we didn't play well enough to win that series but for sure wasn't because of Dwight. He was dominant that whole series.

Is this draft as good as people say it is or overstated because a couple of big names, big schools and flashy players?

No, it's really, really good. My first draft was with the Celtics in '03. That was a pretty good draft. That was the best probably overall draft I've been a part of. '05 was deeper than '03. This draft feels a lot like that '05 draft. The '05 draft will be a little deeper but best draft I've been with since '05.

Still converse regularly with Bill Simmons?

Bill and I are friends. Hard to converse regularly. He talks to Obama now, people like that. I'm pretty far down the list. We're friends from our Boston days. He mostly just gives me crap, frankly. We still talk. He's gone Hollywood on us.

Leaning towards declining Parsons option? Simmons may not like that. Why would you do that?

I've seen those reports. I won't comment on that.

I have to ask.

I'm not mad you asked. All those things are stuff still to be decided.

#5 J.R., Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cowherd: I followed your career. I love analytics. I don't love every member of your roster. I'm not in love with James Harden.

Morey: Cool story, brah.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I really miss Cowherd and Beadle combo on SportsNation :(

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Thanks for the script J.R.

I need to actually listen to the interview for context but it felt like Cowherd was trying to start an argument about Harden and Howard's worth.
    But Morey always knows how to stay cool

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Such a d-bag. He didn't diss Harden at all during the season but now he will pile on again now that Harden had a disappointing playoff series. Yet he will apologize for Lebron's crappy showing against the Mavs in the finals till the day he dies.

10. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Huge douche.

11. basketballholic

Still to be decided.....by what happens over the next 3 weeks.

Morey will not go into the off season with Parson as a restricted free agent unless he has acquired his 3rd superstar or unless he knows he has deals in place to acquire that 3rd superstar after the moratorium.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

J.R. is not a bot. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, JR!

(It came on as I was heading into a luncheon; knew I could count on you!)

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Of course, Morey has had decision with Parsons's option, but he will not publicly talk about it

15. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Colin can be ok and he can also be lame. Guy is 50/50 to me.

16. Jimes

Jimes Member

Or maybe Morey is not.

17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I can't imagine the hatred he'll have towards the Rockets if they manage to get Carmelo. He literally can't do a show without somehow bringing up how overrated Carmelo is, or how much better Lebron is.

18. JazzLakerHater

I used to think he was ok when he was on SportsNation, but when I heard him on his radio show the first time, I could not listen to him. Dude just loves to hear himself talk.

19. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

he says the same thing in different ways like 3 times in a row. He had his chance on TV but back to radio...

20. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Cheers good ol JR