1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ugh] Derek Newton named starting RT

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cannonball, Jun 13, 2014.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

Let's remember new scheme not zone blocking this may work better for him.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

This is what I think the strategy is, waiting and figuring that someone at least decent will eventually become a cap casualty. Having "1st dibs" on the release pile is a very good advantage to have. Hopefully it will pay off for us this year.

And if not maybe we can bring in EW late as at least a swing tackle/backup insurance. Plus if we wait till late enough then most of our extra-long non-cba compliant practices will be over with and Eric won't have anything to b**** about. :grin:

3. Fantasma Negro

Texans agree to terms with OL Will Yeatman

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/06/16/texans-agree-to-terms-with-will-yeatman/
    Hey Derek Newton
    [​IMG]

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

His type of injury is a dicey one - next time it gets injured, and it will be susceptible, it's curtains for his NFL career.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So are we gonna have D. Brown and Xavier Sua-f....... both on the left side? and Newton and Brooks? or Smith? on the right?

So what does that mean? all runs go to the left? Cj and Griffin always blocking/lining up on right?

I am worried with both our defensive line and offensive line having our best players on same side we might be predictible? or overwhelmingly good on those sides? thoughts?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would think that's about how we'd run it. Our strongest link in Brown next to the rookie XSF, our second strongest link in Brooks next to the disasterous Newton (or hopefully someone else) with CJ next to him blocking. It wouldn't be predictable because both sides should have strong blocking unless they overload the side with Newton and CJ, then you just audible to something else.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

1) Wade Smith isn't on the team anymore.

2) Brooks became a pretty damned good player during the season last year. Like Bobby mention, he might be our 2nd best OLineman. So I don't think we're stacking one side of the line and leaving the other side thin. Right now we have our best tackle on the left side and our best guard on the right.

And to add to that, we don't know how Su'a-Filo factors in yet. I've seen a lot of people penciling in Ben Jones at LG or at least saying that Jones and Su'a-Filo will battle for the job. It doesn't help that Su'a-Filo missed a lot of camp because the NFL has a rule about rookies being able to finish their degrees and UCLA has an atypical schedule. I know we'd all like to expect our 2nd round, #33 pick, to start day one, but it's not a certainty.

Also, I know it was a different coaching staff, but with essentially the same line last year, the team ran pretty equally to each side. 49% of their runs were up the middle, 26% of the time was to left and 25% was to the right.

#47 Cannonball, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>After the first week of the NFL season, @<a href="https://twitter.com/PFF">PFF</a> has Derek Newton as the highest-graded offensive tackle in football. <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/status/510200336917598208" data-datetime="2014-09-11T22:56:54+00:00">September 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/10/top-10-performances-week-1/

#48 Commodore, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  9. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

damn, only one game, but props to BOB and staff for their persistence

how awesome would it be to be solid all along the line?! now if chris myers/brooks could show up...

10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

We have to give credit where credit is due, after all, we all bagged him when he was bad, so I say Kudos to you, Derek Newton.
    If he can be consistent at or near that standard, it will be huge for this team - we could go from having a horrible line to a solid one, and that will be big for Fitz as well.
    Newton is another one due for a new contract next year - that would be a nice quandry for the team to be in.
    It would also mean that Texans no longer need to draft a RT high in the draft.

11. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

This. Plus I also want to add BOB was vocal throughout training camp and preseason on newtons praise, even though we (fans) weren't convinced. Just a testament that the coaching staff indeed knows what it's doing and we can't rush to conclusions, since we aren't privy to the day to day, etc.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yup. Rather draft best player available vs need. I know it's one game, but let's see how it goes for 15 more games.

If he does well, we won't need to draft high on right tackle.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all hate on Rick Smith. Possibly fairly so. But time and time again his guys wind up in a different scheme and excel or leave the team as coveted free agents... his staff's cap management is sub par but I'm not ready to condemn his ability to find talent despite the history of mid-round duds.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Smiths job is the cap. The coaches are likely more responsible for the picks.

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

zone blocking has nothing to do with pass pro which he was terrible at..

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Another great game today. Had one holding penalty, partially because Fitz held the ball so god dam long. Besides that, he did a fantastic job

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Props to Newton for putting it all together. He's a stud thus far.

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OatKp29npDr/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 people like this.
  18. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

he is bringing it

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

i hope he keeps bringing it

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

then what is the capologist's job?