1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So...does Rasmus return next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Aug 26, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Colby Rasmus' has had a rocky career, but he finally looks to have found a home in Houston. As opposed to Rasmus' previous two stints, it objectively looks like he really, genuinely enjoys this clubhouse and playing with them.

Personally, I'd like to see him return. He's a great 4th outfielder, especially with a 2.1 WAR and his defensive versatility. But, I'm not sure if 1) our system's depth, and 2) his offseason cost, will allow his return.

For what its worth, Rasmus said in the offseason that, after this year, he has 3 more years left before he wants to retire. And he signed a 1-year deal here in order to rebuild his stock to land that type of deal the following offseason. But I'm curious if he enjoys Houston enough to forgo other team's long-term offers in order to stay with this team. Or, if we'll offer him something long-term (although I don't really see that happening).

2. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

My opinion: Gomez took his spot as our high-paid outfielder. Next year, we'll see Springer, Gomez and a third outfielder (most likely Marisnick or Tucker, unless they move Tucker to first; if Tucker moves to first, Marisnick will battle one of our minor leaguers for the third outfield spot, and the loser will be the utility outfielder).

3. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Hinch has said numerous times that Tucker isnt moving to first. AJ Reed is probably gonna end up there at some point next year. Gomez, Tucker, and Springer are probably the starters next season unless they decide to get a bat in free agency.

4. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Thought Hinch's comments were in response to moving to Tucker to first base this year, when he's had no practice there. Give him an offseason and spring training to work on it, and then we'll see. Anyway, I hadn't seen where Hinch wrote off the idea for next year.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

With Carlos Gomez on the team, i don't see Rasmus back, eventough a like him. Now, the question is how good is Tucker?

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Doubtful. He's been good, but not great. Best case scenario is he finishes strong, Astros tender him the 1-year offer to get draft compensation and he turns it down.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Like Colby better than GoGo. But betting that Colby is not brought back on a multiyear deal.

I also do not see GoGo as a long time Astro. At some point he will get moved.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I'm hoping the Stros make a run at Cespedes. A guy that has power and can actually hit for an average. Move Tucker to 1st.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unless he really rakes, Tucker is too bad defensively to be penciled in as an everyday OF. Plus he has yet to show he can reliably hit lefties in the majors.

He's gonna have to work a lot at 1B in the offseason. If he hits I can see him being used in a 1B, DH, LF platoon. Adding a contact OF seems like a top priority this offseason.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I, too, would love to end up with a draft pick for tendering him, but how much are we talking about for the tender amount?

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

$15M or so. Unlikely we'd offer, but no way did I think Cuddyer would get an offer, let alone reject it last year.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Very unlikely he is back. The Astros would rather use their resources differently. I think Tucker will be in the outfield come opening day with White at first.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This isn't a decision you can make in a vacuum. Must first see who's available in the offseason at 1B, 3B, corner OF, and possibly 3B. Then gotta see if you can re-sign Kazmir. If so, you have a trade chip (one of the starters--Feldman or McHugh most likely) to go after one of those hitters.

I think you have to figure out the above and then decide if you want one of those guys or a minor leaguer and go from there. Then you figure out the odds of all that happening (or wait on it first) and decide on Rasmus

What do I think will happen? I'd assume Rasmus is out and they find a way to bring another heavy hitter in, likely via trade.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

they probably would have made a run at trading for him if they wanted him.

(in before the "how do you know they didn't?" comments)

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that only one of tucker and gattis will be an astro at this time next season.

and i'd put a doubtful on rasmus.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gattis and Tucker are certainly redundant. If Tucker is genuinely incapable of playing 1B, he has no advantage over Gattis as a player, and Gattis isn't hamstrung by lefties like Tucker has proven to be so far. Both guys are abysmal in the OF, and have no business out there with any regularity.

If Gattis finishes strong moving Tucker and adding an actual OF would seem to be a likely outcome. If Tucker can learn a competent 1B in the offseason, he would have enough versatility (1B,LF,DH) to keep around as a platoon guy.

Not ready to make a call on Rasmus. Depending on how things play out with our guys and what's available, he may or may not be back.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I just want to win the division

1 person likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I think Colby Rasmus returns next game.

Or 2

18. Txst

Txst Member

I think we are going to make a hard run at Zobrist this offseason.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I really like his defense and his bat is decent, but sadly, he's probably gone.

Tucker is cheaper (and is NOT moving to 1B) and Marisnick will be cheap one more season. GoGo is under contract.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Some version of this.

We have Feliz ready for the rotation now. Same with VV. Appel is approaching sink or swim time. Martes could be up by mid season. McHugh isn't a free agent for years, Fiers isn't a free agent for years. Dallas K isn't going anywhere. McCullers isn't going anywhere. Feldman has pitched well and is under contract next year. Kazmir is the most underrated starter in baseball. That is way too many starters. The Astros and Dallas K have discussed an extension. My best guess is we sign Dallas K long term and make a short term offer to Kazmir. Most likely someone else offers him a longer and better contract and he leaves.

Even with Kazmir gone that is an unbelievable amount of pitching assets. That doesn't even include hitters like Marisnick (valuable for his position/glove/age/ not a free agent for years) and Gattis and Tucker that could be moved.

The Astros need an elite bat to add to this line up. We won't be signing that bat through free agency; it will come via trade with us packaging some of these assets. Bats that are elite come along but not often... Look at Josh Donaldson, had we known we would be this good we would probably have made a serious run at him.

I don't think we will see any big free agent signing, other than possibly Kazmir. Doesn't mean we won't be active though.... Sure we will have talks with the usual suspects (Oakland for someone like Riddick or their C) and possibly the Phillies and others. Have to think 3rd base, 1st base, C and closer are targets.