1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston Hobby International Expansion begins in May

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Feb 6, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

The Houston Airport System recently released a new plan and schedule for Hobby Airport’s international expansion.

According to a presentation shown to Houston City Council Feb. 4, Houston’s airport authority plans to build a new parking garage and a new concourse, expand its terminal and make roadway modifications at Hobby to accommodate international flights. The project is scheduled over the course of more than two years.

During the terminal expansion, HAS plans to build a new ticket counter, add six additional security checkpoint lanes, add five new arrival and departure gates and add a new Federal Inspections Services facility for international travelers to go through Customs and Border Protection. The FIS facility itself will have its own baggage claim, 16 passport inspection stations and allow for 400 to 800 passengers to travel through it during peak hours.

Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) led the push for Houston City Council to approve plans for Hobby’s expansion as an international airport. The Dallas-based airline hopes to fly international routes to Latin America out of Hobby.

The city approved the expansion plans in May 2012, and Southwest agreed pay for building the new terminal. In the recent presentation, HAS estimated the terminal will cost Southwest about $150 million.

Corgan Associates Inc. will design the terminal, but a contractor has not yet been selected.

HAS plans to pay for and construct the new parking garage and roadway modifications.

The new parking garage will have more than 2,500 parking spaces and cost about $55 million, and the roadway modifications, which will cost about $12 million, will include putting in an elevated roadway.

Construction on the project is expected to break ground this May, and vertical construction is expected to be complete in September 2015.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Obviously they'll add routes to Mexico. Which cities, I wonder? (The D.F., Guadalajara, Monterrey?)

Any other countries? Guatemala, etc?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Cancun, Cabo, DF, Monterrey

maybe Costa Rica

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

It's hard to believe that a parking garage could cost so much. After all, it mostly just concrete and metal. $55 million? Wow.

Would almost be cheaper just to buy up surrounding land and create a super huge parking lot with shuttle service.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I guess you've never looked up the price of steel. It ain't cheap.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Steel, copper, surveying, labor, and do you know how much just a yard of concrete costs to buy? This isn't Lego Land. We're not as superior as China quit yet.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

They need to start constructing a pathway from Beltway 8 South where the Telephone Rd. exit is towards the airport. Getting to Hobby is such a joke when you have to travel on the very dim lights at night on Telephone. With this International stuff, there will be increased traffic, and it would be nice to have a ramp that would take you straight to the airport.

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Some contractor is getting mighty rich in the middle.

9. micks96

micks96 Member

I am glad as hell that we're not as "superior" as China.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I think you missed the sarcasm.

11. da1

da1 Member

You have to go through lights no matter which way you go to IAH so I don't see this happening.

12. da1

da1 Member

They'll start with whatever destinations AirTran goes to right now, since Southwest bought Airtran.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thank you.

You, too.

MEXICO: DF; San Jose Cabo, Cancun.

JAMAICA: Montego Bay, mon.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Punta Cana.

PUERTO RICO: San Juan.

BERMUDA.

ARUBA.

#13 ROXTXIA, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

i think he means he doesn't like driving through the ghetto to get to the airport at night

15. da1

da1 Member

Part of life. Nothing to be scared of the area around hobby isn't exactly 3rd ward. Maybe someone who has lived in teh suburbs their entire life would be scared I guess.

16. ItsMyFault

It's not about being scared. You can't see the ****ing road at night sometimes, I really don't get why it's so dark.

As far as the ramp goes, I still think there should be one regardless of what IAH has.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is there something wrong with Airport blvd?

18. ItsMyFault

There's nothing wrong with Airport blvd, but I just feel as though it takes forever getting to Airport blvd from Telephone. Maybe it's just me.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Hobby is the plebe airport.

I'll stick to IAH.

20. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

If southwest is offering cheaper flights my dollar dictates where I would go.