1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ric Bucher calls out media for unfairly hating on Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Richie_Rich, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight Howard May Have Flaws, but Critics Unfairly Finding He Can Do No Right

Quote:
    Whatever territory exists between the cliches "Beating a dead horse" and "Shooting fish in a barrel" now appears to be occupied by "Crapping all over Dwight Howard."

No NBA player has been more uniformly disparaged over the last three years than Howard, and a case can be made that over most of that time, no player did more to deserve it. He didn't mean to make more of a mess leaving Orlando than LeBron James did leaving Cleveland—who would?—and yet he did. He didn't mean to get sideways with Kobe Bryant during their short stretch as teammates—who would?—and yet he did.

There were extenuating circumstances in both situations that would suggest Howard was hardly the sole architect, but he nevertheless took the biggest hit in both cases. Now, though, the bashing of Howard has taken a decided turn. He doesn't actually have to do or say something wrong to get taken to task; suspicion that he may have done or said something wrong is enough.

The worst part of it, for him, is that the shots are less about his game—although he's continued to take hits there despite vast improvement in several areas—and more about his character. Anything he says or does, therefore, can be held up as further evidence that he's just not a good person.

This may sound strange coming from someone who has the history that I do with Dwight, but here it is: Enough. The slant on everything he does now has gone from keeping an unsparing eye on a league star who has made his share of PR blunders to taking shots at a 6'11" punching bag because, well, what's another welt on someone already black and blue?

Rest of story
    Case In Point I: the report last month, initially provided by TMZ, that his driver's license had been suspended for running 10 red lights over a two-and-a-half-year period in Florida. TMZ updated the report the next day by saying Howard blamed his brother for them. Technically, TMZ spoke to someone representing Howard, rather than Howard himself, but that's not what the headline said. The correction, rather than exonerate him, made him out to be a rat who'd sell out his brother while still leaving open the possibility he was a serial scofflaw. The usual piling on by other outlets went unabated, and if anyone reported he was portrayed unfairly in this case, I missed it.

A quick review of the time and place of the infractions would've proved relatively quickly that Howard couldn't have been behind the wheel for nine out of the 10 lights and was unlikely to have incurred the 10th. Nine out of the 10 also were electronically ticketed to someone driving a Dodge, not exactly the make of car Howard is known to drive; the 10th was issued for a Cadillac, also not known to be part of his stable. One occurred while he was appearing on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and there's public evidence that he was in Los Angeles when five others occurred. A seventh took place while he was in San Antonio with the Houston Rockets for a game against the San Antonio Spurs. In any case, one red light run doesn't carry quite the same import as 10 or further the image of a young superstar who thinks he can do whatever he wants.

The infractions apparently were attributed to Howard because he holds the title of the car, which he bought for a friend or relative; that is hardly an uncommon gesture among professional athletes, although most, at some point, have the title transferred to the friend or relative's name. Call it a bookkeeping error or negligence more severe, it wouldn't have sparked the kind of outrage and attention 10-run red lights did.

"It didn't make any sense because the timing didn't work," says Rockets general manager Daryl Morey of the tickets. "He shouldn't have someone else driving a car that's in his name, but that's him. He's very generous, including with teammates." Speaking of teammates...

Case In Point II: comments by James Harden and Howard after the Rockets elected not to match an offer sheet by the Dallas Mavericks to restricted free agent Chandler Parsons. Howard and Parsons share the same agent (Dan Fegan) and have been friends since Howard starred with the Orlando Magic at the same time Parsons did for the University of Florida. Howard, in a lengthy interview in which he supposedly praised Parsons more than anything else, said that his absence wouldn't affect the Rockets because they still had him and Harden. "It's on us," he told The Associated Press (via ESPN).

Parsons' response, on the Jim Rome Show: "He's one of my closest friends. He's got to be confident with the Rockets moving forward with or without me there, so I understand where he's coming from. I think it's a ridiculous statement, but at the end of the day, he has to stick up for the Rockets and I don't think he meant it in a bad way and didn't try to bash me at all."

Harden was far more dismissive of Parsons' importance, and Parsons took far greater exception to his remarks. "Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets," Harden said at a charity event in the Philippines, per The Philippine Star. "The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We've lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we'll be fine next season."

To which Parsons responded (via ESPN): "That's part of the reason I wanted to go to Dallas, because I'm ready for that next step. If anybody should understand that, it's James, because he was in the same situation in Oklahoma City and then he got his chance to come to Houston and shine. I'm not real sure what that means."

Yet, when the Mavericks and Rockets met for an exhibition game two weeks ago, the focus was strictly on Howard and Parsons. Howard bear-hugged Parsons from behind and they demonstrated that there was no animosity between them, but the exchange was labeled as "awkward" because Howard didn't immediately let go. The coverage of Parsons and Harden meeting, if there was any, apparently didn't merit video or analysis.

Howard declined to answer specific questions about either situation, believing that whatever he said could be used to disparage him.

"All I can do is play basketball and win games," he said. "The rest will take care of itself."

Rockets teammate Francisco Garcia, however, stood up for him.

"I just don't think it's fair," Garcia said. "He's a great teammate and he's a winner. He's playful on the outside, but every game we lose he stays late in the locker room because he wants to win so badly. He takes the game real serious. People [outside the team] don't really know him, but the guys in the locker room know."

Morey concedes that his star center brought a lot of the criticism in Orlando and Los Angeles upon himself, but takes issue with the latest salvos. "You know what it reminded me of? Ron Artest," Morey said, referring to the volatile former Rockets small forward now known as Metta World Peace. "When he came out with an album, everyone immediately assumed it was rap and took shots at him for it. It was an R&B album. Some of the critics hadn't even listened to it. Once the narrative is out there, they don't seem willing to take the three seconds to find out if the latest thing fits it. People are ready to jump to any narrative that they want."

That applies to Howard on the court as well. A discussion by TNT's panel of former players about who they might add to the league's list of Greatest 50 Players of All Time gave serious consideration to both Grant Hill and Chris Webber. Howard was summarily dismissed even though the panel largely agreed that how much winning a player inspired carried more weight than statistical benchmarks. How, then, is Howard, who has led teams to the playoffs in eight of his 10 seasons (didn't play in 2011-12 postseason due to surgery), including a run to the NBA Finals, not a candidate but Hill, Webber and Steve Nash are?

His performance last spring also suggests he's not done adding to his list of achievements. He led all postseason performers in blocked shots and rebounds per game while averaging 26 points and finishing second only to James in player efficiency rating. He dominated in a way that he hadn't since his back surgery nearly two-and-a-half years ago. Yet the storyline coming out of their first-round upset by the Portland Trail Blazers was a blanket questioning of Harden—who had a disappointing series—and Howard as a duo capable of bringing a championship to Houston.

"He was the best center in the playoffs," said Morey, "and he carried us. We should've won it for him. I know that he took our losing to heart more than anyone. He knows the opportunities we have are rare. He's still got many good years ahead of him, but they're not unlimited. I feel like I've let Dwight down, too."

Howard, however, is not second-guessing his decision to go to Houston. I know, this isn't the first time he's pledged allegiance to a certain locale. Orlando and L.A., at various times, were the perfect place for him. I doubted his sincerity in both cases because of what I was hearing elsewhere. That said, his case for Houston being the right place for him had a different ring to it. It had—dare I say it—a more mature tone.

"To have a teammate like James Harden and a coach like Kevin McHale and the chance to work with someone like Hakeem Olajuwon on a daily basis, it was the best decision for me as a basketball player, despite what anybody else thinks," he said. "But no matter what I do, not everybody is going to like it. I can't control that."

No talk about championships, even though that's undoubtedly on his list of goals. No talk about brands or marketing opportunities or creative projects, even though he assuredly still cares about all that as well. He's strictly addressing what is right in front of him: improving as a basketball player. That, in truth, is all he can really control.

There is always the chance that Howard will tire of Houston or McHale or Harden and make those feelings known, stirring another cauldron of resentment and accusations of shirking responsibility. I have a hard time imagining that, but plenty has happened in the NBA over the last few years that stretches the imagination.

For now, though, let's wait until he actually does or says something that merits questioning his character. To do otherwise would suggest his character isn't the only one that merits questioning.

Bucher defending Dwight??? :eek:

Sure sign of the coming zombie apocalypse.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Just to be clear... this changes nothing.

BUCHER IS STILL A *****!!! :mad:

3. NotChandlerParsons

Who the heck wouldn't have made a mess with Kobe. Heck probably part of the reason he left is not only because they wanted to keep Kobe but pay him $20 mil.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bucher looking for a job with Root Sports

1 person likes this.
  5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Much respect to Bucher. At least he had the balls to correct himself on the stupid redlight camera story (unlike Kelly Dwyer)

However, it's apparent from the article that Bucher still generally dislikes Harden, lol

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

A lot of people think he's being fake, by being nice and friendly...but since he's been here I haven't seen any sign of it. It seems like the haters never dealt with him because everyone that posts about him on twitter and IG share pleasant experiences.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Much deserved. I was never a Dwight fan. But he's kept his head down and gone to work here. He's working hard. His teammates appear to love him. Our coaching staff and management seem to love him. And, most importantly, Dream loves him.

I'm proud he's a Rocket now. Eff the haters.

8. rocketseagles07

Lol @ the guy who consistently hates on the rockets/Harden calling the media out for hating on D12. That's how you know it's gone overboard

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

bucher talking about the dhoward hate is sorta the canary in the mine so far as how rediculous its gotten

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

What is his history with Dwight? Just general criticisms, or was there something specific that I was under a rock for?

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

was this the same guy that did it on bleacher ?

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm not even sure what this thread is about, because I have a mental filter that follows everything after "Ric Bucher" with "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah".

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Bucher is looking to get him a Windhorst deal with Dwight.

That said, Dwight has been awesome as a Rocket. He definitely has exceeded my expectations.

15. jk103

jk103 Member

Was there a negative article about Dwight somewhere? I haven't seen anything.

16. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Let's see... There was the posting a stat sheet in the post game locker room for the number of touches he got...

There was the leaving Orlando debacle.

Let's just say he has matured as a person and in his offensive bball skills (a lot) and not all of the past was his fault.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not a huge fan of Bucher but I give him props for using scofflaw when talking about the red lights.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We know media likes the sound bytes but generally don't take the time to do in-depth sound analysis.

They spin their yarns and keep the stereotypes going. At least Bucher now is going against the trend.

What's important is Howard is happy here and working hard. Of course, we still need to get into championship contention to keep him, but right now it's still all good.

19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Seriously. Kelly might have been one of the most over the top guys on the story, and didn't even bother to retract the story, do an ounce of original reporting or fact checking, and jumped right onto his moral high horse.

He used to post here and I always tried to respect him by giving him the clickthrough, and not reposting his articles in full. The crap he wrote on this story deserves neither.

I sincerely hope that in high school Kelly got T-Boned and it caused him to have a lifelong hatred of red-light runners. Or he married into a police officer household. Something to explain what the heck he was thinking with this.

Maybe he'll actually show a shred of journalistic integrity and actually respond here. It's like saying we can use the Jeremy Lin trade exception plus Jason Terry and Terrence Jones to trade for David West; eventually it will summon BimaThug to the thread to laydown the CBA law.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Kelly Dwyer smh