1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Who will be better: Dallas or Houston?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigDog63, Oct 21, 2014.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

In keeping with the current feud between Cuban and Morey, and the natural rivalry that has developed between these two teams, I thought I would start a thread to see where everyone thought these two teams might finish.

FWIW, I currently live in Dallas, so like the Mavs, but was a long time Rockets fan, have been there for championships in both cities, and like both teams (yes, that is actually possible. :) ) ... and I think both teams are under-rated going into the season.

Going to break the question into two parts, because they might have different answers.

1. Which team do you think will finish the regular season with a better record/standing?
    2. Which team do you think will get farther in the playoffs (or will they both be the same)?

Bonus questions: How do you think Chandler Parsons will do next year? About the same as last year? Better than last year? Worse than last year?

Will the Rockets be a better team with Ariza, maybe particularly in the playoffs? Why or why not?

let the prognosticating/analysis/smack talking begin!

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Both answers Rockets.

It astounds me everyone has gotten on the Mav's "great offseason."

Let's go ahead and point a few things out.

1) They DOWNGRADED worse from Calderon to Felton than they upgraded from Parsons to Carter/Marion combo. Felton is awful, and they'll miss Calderon's 3 pt shooting bad.

2) Parsons is just not that good. People are super confused thinking everyone around the league loved Parsons. He was loved based on his performance vs his contract. With his new contract he has to be a top 25-30 player in the NBA, he'll be lucky to be top 50 imo. Solid role player, nothing more.

3) Chandler I think is their best upgrade but he is so far past his 2006 Tyson Chandler days.

Mavs will gain a couple wins this season more so if they have a fully healthy Dirk than any of their additions.

Rockets SHOULD improve, as we've seen with the Thunder, stars get better if they have to (obviously Harden/Howard isn't Durant/Westbrook, but they are stars).

Ariza is an upgrade over Parsons within the Rocket's system.

The Rockets have had a year to gel, the Mavs are getting pretty much a brand new team.

3. jruthlaz

jruthlaz Member

I tend to agree. I do wonder:

1.) How much will Carlisle be able to coach Parsons up?
    2.) How much D will Harden play?
    3.) Will Mchale cost us any close/trap games we are having a hard time closing out vc Carlisle.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Memphis' coach seems to think dallas is top 3...

5. Raven

Raven Member

All things being equal, I think the Rockets will have a slightly better record, but not by more than two or three games. The West is so tight that it's impossible to predict win/loss.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Obviously you haven't seen a single Dallas preseason game. LOL

I agree Felton is awful, but he's not even Dallas' backup PG.

Starting is Jameer Nelson, backup is Devin Harris.

To answer OP's question. I think it comes down to injuries. Dallas has more older and injury prone players than us, but our bench is very weak, if anyone on our starting lineup is injured, we will see a significant drop in performance. If both stays healthy, I think Dallas will edge us by maybe 1 or 2 games, unless Jones develops a lot over the season. Since he hasn't shown much improvement from his preseason games, I doubt that will be the case.

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's not.

Get Ebola.

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Houston, Houston & Houston...next question?

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He's just painting a bullseye on their chest, top 3? even the Dallas homers don't have them top 3.

Dallas' bench is maybe the worst in the nba this year, it's pretty damn god awful.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Rockets...here's why:

Dallas may have better overall depth, but they lack the true star power to really be a mainstay in this incredibly tough western conference. Dirk in 06 was amazing. He is one of the greatest of all time, and any Rox fan who disagrees is just as ignorant/biased as other fan bases we criticize.

But that Dirk aint walking thru the door. Sure, his J is still smooth, but his overall game has undoubtedly declined. Dirk is 36 and this will be his 17th season. I really like Ellis/CP, but both are way closer to role players than they are stars. Same can be said about every player on their roster, Tyson/Jameer included.

Again, DAL has really good depth, and will be a good TEAM because of their coach and overall depth, but I don't see them surpassing HOU this year.

As far as CP, his numbers were inflated due to our offensive run-n-gun system. I think he'll average 14/7/5 given the amount of minutes he'll play, but I seriously doubt he plays up to his contract. Also, most importantly, he will continue to be a liability on D.

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

The mavericks will have a better record and will last longer in the playoffs.

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Only a homer will ignore the glaring advantage they have at the coaching position. Imagine what we would do with Rick Carlisle. :eek:

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Dallas followed the path of SA, deep at every position but not elite ,with good couch they can make a good run..

Grig Smith ,Amino Alfarouq are summer best picks for them

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

LOL..not sure if serious... :confused:

16. AXG

AXG Member

Personally, I don't think the standings will be affected much. Houston will be a 4 or 5 seed and Dallas will be in the 6-8 range. Parsons' stats will probably up a little bit because he will be asked to carry more of the offensive load, but I don't see how much he will have improved overall, if any. I think Ariza is a better fit in Houston because of his defense and 3 point shooting so long as he sticks to his role.

17. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Jameer Nelson was a good pickup for Dallas. They also added Al Farouq Aminu who will be a nice fit defensively. The Mavs have a pretty solid team this year but I don't see either the Rockets or Mavs making it past the first round of the playoffs. Both are one and done if they make the playoffs.

18. baubo

baubo Member

1. When has Carlisle ever been able to coach up young players? Does he even have the player development success of, say, some random crappy coach everyone hates like Kevin McHale? McHale can put Parsons (2nd round pick), Beverley (street FA), and Dragic (ex-cast off backup) as his development successes in only 3 years. What does Carlisle have?

2. Rockets won 5 more games than the Mavs last year with the worst defense in the history of the universe by Harden. Nowhere to go but up.

3. Rockets and Mavs both outperformed their Pythagorean win totals by 1 game. If you believe McHale cost the Rockets X amount of games, so did Carlisle by that same number.

19. Major

Major Member

:confused: All this tells you is that both teams' records were what you'd expect given their offensive and defensive performance. This doesn't tell you anything about whether the coaches improved or degraded those offensive and defensive performances in the first place.

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

There's pretty much no point asking this question on a Rockets (or Mavs) forum. The responses you'll get are pretty obvious.