1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nikola Mirotic reaches deal with Bulls

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sean Dr34ms, Jul 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Three year, $17 million - per Yahoo Sports

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So assuming he's a stretch 4/can't guard the 3, now the Bulls have 3 PF's - you've got to think one of Gibson, Mirotic, Gasol is going to be moved for a perimeter scorer, because they've got creaky Rose and that's it, right? Or is Gasol just a bridge until Mirotic is ready?

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They still haven't amnestied Boozer have they?

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think they drafted McDermott for that reason and they have Butler. I think your latter theory is correct.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah they would have had to in order to make the Gasol deal official.

After the Boozer amnesty they would have just enough to sign Gasol. Which says to me that they are using the full MLE to sign Mirotic & the BAE on resigning Hinrich.

I would think the Boozer amnesty wire should get a decent amount of traction though. I know the guy gets alot of grief, but on the right deal he's still a half-way decent player.

Since he's essentially going to be a one year contract, I fully anticipate that Morey will go after him.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yep. Dougie McBuckets is gonna be great.

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Snell is tearing up summer league for them too, could get some play at SF or SG if Butler slides over.

I see Gasol being a 20 minutes a game guy, mostly backing up Noah.

Mirotic is a question mark until he takes the floor.

Bulls are DEEP.

Rose/Hinrich
    Butler/Snell
    Dunleavy/Dougie
    Gibson/Mirotic
    Noah/Gasol

Even if Rose is 70% of his old self, that is a very strong all around team. Less Rose-centric which is good.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bulls GM Gar Forman tells <a href="https://twitter.com/WaddleandSilvy">@WaddleandSilvy</a> that Bulls were offered Top 10 picks by several teams for the rights to Nikola Mirotic.</p>&mdash; Nick Friedell (@NickFriedell) <a href="https://twitter.com/NickFriedell/statuses/490265091775152128">July 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Interested to see how this plays out, since the Rockets drafted Mirotic and traded him for Dmo and Johnny Flynn.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The trade was agreed to before the #23 pick was made. The Rockets selected Mirotic for the Bulls as a formality. Mirotic was never "the Rockets' pick."

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I wondered about that. Couldn't find info on it, though.

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Knowing us, we probably would've wasted the pick.

13. basketballholic

The Mirotic-Donuts trade does make me wonder. I'd sure like to see the scouting report and hear Morey's reasoning for Donuts over Mirotic at that time.

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This. Even if Mirotic was never the Rockets pick, they still could of had him.

15. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Gasol can play the 5, the man is legit 7ft tall.

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Truth be told Dunleavy and McDermott should be play a 50/50 split between the 3 and 4. I don't see how they are going to make this work.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Not just can, he's a center at this point, he shouldn't play at 4. He's less agile than Kaman now.

He should be fine as a nominal starting 4 next to Noah for some minutes, with Noah acting as more of a 4 defensively in that lineup.

But I suspect that most of Gasol's minutes will be as a backup 5.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

My guess is that the Rockets liked both, but D-Mo got the edge because they knew Mirotic wouldn't be able to come over for at least another 3 years.

19. basketballholic

Yeah probably I suppose. While I'm not sold on Donuts, neither am I sold on Mirotic. I see a lot of Vlad Rad in Mirotic. Good shooter. But slow as a snail. Don't know if the rest of his offensive game is going to click in the NBA and I'm pretty convinced he'll always have negative value on the defensive end.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And we got one of our awesome '09ers in that trade, Johnny Flynn, who in 2009 was better than Stephen Curry. (according to Minnesota)

btw: didn't we also give up a future first rounder in the trade. Curious what happened to that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6698564