1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Fortson or Oakley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Since Kenny left, we've been sorely lacking an tough inside presence. And with all the dreamcasting about blockbuster trades to bring in Brand, Malone, KG, why don't people consider the obvious? We simply ain't got the number of shots to allocate to another superstar.

Danny Fortson is one hell of a rebounder, never takes too many shots, and is as tough a veteran as they come...

He's in the doghouse, no... locked in the cellar, out in Golden State. He might play dirty, he might get a lot of flagrants, but who honestly would mind the Rockets playing with a bit more of a nasty streak? Since we can't get KMart or Artest, this guy will do.

As for the veteran help, how about Charles Oakley? That guy is a warrior who doesn't take too many shots (both literally and figuratively) either...

Both these guys will fix our primary needs: rebound like nuts, and protect Francis and Yao. And furthermore, we won't need to tear apart our talented nucleus (Yao, Francis, Griffin, Mobley, Posey) to get them.

As for spot-up shooters, we've got plenty of decent ones on our team already. Boki, Rice, not to mention our guards. Why pay to get more?

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Danny Fortson is allways injured, he only played 17 games this year. I will pass on him, Oakley would be nice but I would would not trade for him.

3. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

I attach here an article about Fortson's season. I don't think he was injured so much as unfortunate... I mean on the whole, he seems to be a good person, despite his poor reputation, and I think this season's struggles has lit a fire under him to prove himself...

Cincinnati Enquirer
    Saturday, February 22, 2003
    Catching up with Danny Fortson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ex-UC standout keeping chin up; takes his lumps and keeps on going

By Dave Goldstein
    Enquirer contributor

TORONTO - Danny Fortson's sixth NBA season has been a difficult one. His father died during the preseason, he has been unable to crack Golden State's rotation, and the Feb. 20 trade deadline came and went without the fresh start Fortson was hoping for.

Still, Fortson has maintained a positive attitude in the gloomy Bay Area, in large part because of lessons he learned playing for UC and coach Bob Huggins.

"If it wasn't for (Huggins) I wouldn't be here right now," Fortson said.

"I've got to give him all the credit in the world. The practices that we had, the tough love that he gave - that's why I can survive anything now. I've been through it all already."

Fortson had a great college career. He earned first-team All-America honors his junior year before leaving early for the NBA. After being picked 10th in the 1997 draft, Fortson quickly established himself as an inside force.

He recovered from two injury-riddled seasons to play in 77 games last year, making 76 starts and averaging more than 11 points and 11 rebounds a game.

But Fortson's momentum was slowed this season.

His father's death forced Fortson to miss a substantial part of the preseason, Golden State's first with new coach Eric Musselman. In that time, second-year man Troy Murphy put together a string of outstanding performances, taking the power forward spot without any competition.

By the time Fortson returned, he was essentially out of Musselman's rotation.

Fortson plays just 13 minutes a night, but his strengths are still evident. He's grabbing more than four rebounds a game and maintains his Huggins-instilled work ethic.

"Danny's been absolutely unbelievable," Musselman said. "He's practiced hard and he's had a wonderful attitude. In the games where Danny's been given an opportunity to play, he's done an excellent job for us."

Fortson's time on the bench has not been incident-free. He missed practice Feb. 11 without an excuse. He also publicly hoped to be traded. Now that he's staying with Golden State for the foreseeable future, Fortson is keeping a firm grasp on the big picture.

"I've learned a lot about basketball since I've come to the NBA, just being around the game so much," Fortson said. "It's all about opportunities. As long as you keep your head on straight, keep your confidence up and keep working hard in the offseason, you'll survive."

4. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

I think it would take basically nothing to get these guys right now.

5. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I would like to have Karl Malone, although most Rocket fans would hate that. I think Malone could teach our players alot about how to play, even if it is learning how to use your elbows or flopping. He is also in great shape and would be a good example of what a good body can do for you, age 40 and still going strong. Maybe if we get Malone AND Fortson and lose Griffin and Taylor? Maybe Malone could get Fortson on a good work out plan that will keep him heathly and injury free? Wouldn't you like to have MAlone and Fortson over Griffin and Taylor?

6. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Hell yeah! :D

I don't see any problem with that at all. I mean Barkley came to us too, and we were perennial rivals too, right? Even though I hate the Jazz and their dirty, cheating system, I also respect them for their wily tricks/brains and will to win, which seems to be in extremely short supply on the current Rockets team.

The only problem is that I don't think Malone would want to come to us right now. He's looking to win a ring, and his best chances are with the Spurs (who'll be looking for a PF), or the Lakers (less likely).

7. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

The Rockets have a problem at pf because of MoTs contract ..it will be paying around 9 mil in 2006, Danny also has a good contract that goes on another 4 yrs. In 2006 Danny will be making around 6 mil. The total of the 2 contracts is actually over 16 mil by then, way too much for salary cap purposes.
    Other than that Danny is an asset for any team he ends up with.

8. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Danny Fortson is a very good rebounder. He doesn't even play anymore. We could get him. I would like him.

Oakley...is all right...but no thanks.

Malone..sure. :D

9. Nova

Nova Member

F*ck Malone.

F*ck Oakley

uh... Fortson....?? ok.. sure.

10. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

I quite like the idea of getting Fortson. A guy who isn't overly concerned with getting shots but just wants to bang underneath for boards. Pretty good fit for this team, no?

OK, he's a bit short but he's as strong as an ox and would surely be a better post defender than Griffin?

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Fortson is a good plan B or C, if we can't get brand. GSW clearly have a log jam at the PF spot. We're not getting Troy Murphy from them. They want to keep him for the very reasons we want him.

What does GS need? A low post scoring threat. Jamison provides some, but he relies on a face up mid range game too. GS could benefit from MoTay's jump hook. I'm not all that eager to dump MoTay, but getting rid of his contract might be nice. Mebbe MoTay for Fortson and Sura, if Fortson and Sura have decent contracts. Sura would be an adequate 3rd guard. At this stage in his career, he passes and plays defense. He's no longer the shoothappy player he once was.

12. min

min Member

great idea!

fortson almost led the league in rebounds just 2 seasons ago..

and bobby sura is jon barry without the outside shot... just a lot of hustle and can drive to the basket and kick it out..

we can have our own version of detroit's williamson and barry coming off the bench to provide a spark