1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XBox One exclusives and PC (Is there even a reason to go next Gen)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wizkid83, Aug 24, 2014.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

With the XBox One exclusives Ryse and Titan Fall both on PC, what's the likelihood that most other noteworthy XBox One exclusives will continue to be coming to PC.

I bought a PS3 last Gen but just can't see my self buying either next Gen console till at least the first major price drop. That said, with a solid gaming PC, I don't know if there's anything I'd be missing.

What I used to buy for PS3:

Main one is NBA 2k - which is actually better to me on the PC due to the vibrant mod community and as I upgrade my PC, the load times are noticeably better than PS3 counter parts.

Madden - would've miss it... if the game haven't been a total turd the last few years. Both the actual game AND franchise modes are horrible (and no, I don't like online franchises).

NCAA Football - gone regardless

JRPGs - I have enough of a backlog on PS3 that I'm not going to miss it.

Fighting games:
    Just got KOF XIII for $7.50 on humble bundle
    SF4 is still there

Honestly, I don't even game as much as I used to anymore. I never thought the day would come where I wouldn't buy the latest game system after now being able to afford it. #maturity?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm a PC Master Race guy but don't judge consoles exclusively on their gaming lineup in their first year.

It takes a year or two before the good console exclusives start coming in.

That being said, as a PC Master Race guy, you are not missing much. Even NBA 2K is going to get the full next-gen port this year, so is FIFA 15.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

I play PC games.... But in my opinion its too much hassle... Xbox One looks good enough with a nice tv set.... A lot of games wont be on PC that you are gonna get on Xbox One and you wont have to worry about compatibility with graphics card, sound card, game controller, hard drive space, fps, PC cooling, ram, updates...... The list goes on and on.... Unless you have a passion for modding and reaching ultra graphics so you can show off your e-penis its not worth it..... If you like to game without worrying about $hit then Xbox One is the way to go..... Some of us don't have time to be messing around with a PC all day in order to make a game run better or look better.......

Get the Xbox One..... Get Sunset Overdrive, Master Chief Collection, Quantum Break, 2K w/e you like and the new Fable game coming out....... Should be enough to keep you busy and happy in your spare time.......

4. BinBinRingRing

If one day console games get PC type of DRM and offline multiplayer are dead, I will quit console gaming.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Neo Geo > Xbox One
    Turbo Graphix > Xbox One
    Sega CD > Xbox One

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I simply can't game on the cpu... my wrist starts to hurt after like an hour or so

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If you can game on your couch/bed with your PC using a controller and it has the games you want, yea there's no need for you to purchase a console.

The majority of Xbox games get released on PC, but with PlayStation you would need to buy their console.

Almost forgot, gaming online for PC is free. Eff MS for trying to make you pay to play online on PC. For consoles, you would have to subscribe to their service to play online. I think with PS, there are certain games that are free to play online like their free to play games (Warframe etc).

#7 chow_yun_fat, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally, I'd never buy a sports game on the PC.

The online community for console sports gaming is just where it is at I guess. The mods are coo though.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Buy a controller (+/- receiver). XBOX 360 ones should be pretty cheap. You could also decide to get the nextgen variants for a bit more.

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

You buy a console and you can be assured that from the first day you own it until the last day you play it, your games will always work, you will never need to upgrade, you can okay them on a big screen TV....so there are a whole lot of reasons consoles are great.

Having said that...

I think this will be the last "generation" of consoles. I think the hardware next time around will be so far ahead of the needs of the game developers that you'll be able to play the exact same games that look and play the same on PC, consoles, even tablets and possibly phones too.

Hell, we are pretty close to that now!

So I think in the future the upgrades between consoles will be along the same. Lines as the ipdad upgrade cycle and with similar results.

11. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Just hook your PC to HDMI in on your TV. I've been doing this even with old school VGA and 3.5mm.

Breh, if next generation consoles can actually do 1080/60 in the near future and look good in the process, then that'll probably be 5+ years until the next gen consoles to come out. PCs are already capable of 1080/120 and moving on to 1440p, and 4K soon now.

Last gen and mobile, yes. High end PC gaming, no.

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man, it's sittin' up there all nice and pretty and no one wants to knock this one out of the park huh?

:p

I have a PS4, but I prefer PC gaming. Like many of you, I don't game as much as I used to. Family, work, etc. So waiting for a delayed PC release, or missing a game because it's only on a console really is not that big of a deal to me anymore.

It also seems like gaming is just less exciting these days. We've come to expect so much, and be ultimately let down. New games worth buying (arguable) used to come out every couple of weeks. Nowadays, not so much. Maybe a gamer's expectations are just set too high these days. For those of us who started on say the Osborne, gaming is starting to plateau as far as innovation.

The last title I got excited about was Battlefield 4, and was let down. Now, I'm looking forward to The Division which is set for 2015. There's always NBA 2K I guess. Only so many ways to do a basketball game outside of making it look more and more real.

[​IMG]

13. Christopher

Christopher Member

10 years ago graphics were able to be improved upon by a big margin. Now, the graphic improvements are getting smaller and smaller to the point where the vast majority of people will not notice any difference between games on different systems.

Now I know what's coming....screen shots of the same games where one has tiny little details that are clearer than the other....but when you're actually playing a game and just enjoying the game, you don't notice those things. Your system can be running at max settings so that if you wanted to zoom in on a blade of grass you could see it in great detail....but that's not what 99.999999% of people are interested in.

Most people just want a game that is fun, looks great, and that they can plug in and play without worrying that they will immediately need to upgrade for some reason.

I'm not a cheerleader for any one of the consoles, computers, phones or tablets. I'll play a game on anything. Some of the most successful, most enjoyable games of all time look like garbage....and no one cares. Hell, look at Minecraft! People just want to have fun!

In ten years from now, graphics will look better, but the difference won't be huge compared to what we see today. At that point when the technology is well ahead of what the software needs, the way we play games will be different.

You might find that your "Xbox" is actually just an app on your phone that you stream content through. I wouldn't even be shocked if there is no difference between the software you buy to play on a PC, Phone and any console or lounge room box in ten years from now.

Will there always be PC modders looking to render a horses a$$hole on Skyrim....probably. Will anyone else playing the unmodded versions of the game care? No.

It's all heading towards a convergence. You can see that right now. While XBone, PS and PC idiots have pissing contests about their own platforms they are missing the point completely. Soon, we will all be playing the same thing without any difference at all, it will just come down to which company we decide to purchase our games through.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

So for games like NBA 2k, do you need to have a souped up gaming PC or can the average laptop with an integrated graphics card handle it?

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

If you play online, more often then not, your friends will probably have consoles. So shooters like COD, BF, Titanfall (sucks deck), etc. will probably funner on a console than pc. This is atleast in my experience. I am excited to see NBA2k15 going next gen on PC! I'll still probably buy it on console so when friends come over we can play, but PC will boot way faster.

16. LCAhmed

2k14 and under, average might be able to handle on low settings.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Just hook up your Xbox360 controllers to your PC and you can play with friends. The faster load times alone are a big pro to playing on the PC. Sounds more like it depends on what you and your friends are sporting hardware-wise. Mine, for example, are PC owners and users. So we game online with our PCs as well as work on them.

And for good measure: Dreamcast rules.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

That's the problem with PCs though... It seams like there is always something else you have to buy in order to have the best gaming experience, there is something to be said for consoles being easier and cheaper than PCs. Especially for people who try and convince themselves they don't game enough to spend all that money.

I'm still playing my PS3 and the only thing I have had to buy for it was an hdmi cable which I was reluctant to buy lol

19. LCAhmed

I agree. But unfortunately only one of my friends is as much of a PC player as I am. the other few of my crew dont PC, one used to, but sold it since he needed $$. But honestly, I play PC games solo/story since mods can mess up online/multiplayer enjoyment on shooters. To each their own though. And I think they now made it possible to play with xbone controllers as well.

20. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I'll just leave this here:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lFTnbqHHtgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>