1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players to sign to Rio Grande Valley Vipers?

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by mikeyharris, Oct 25, 2009.

1. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Since the Rockets now have control of who is signed to their D-League team, who are some players that you'd like to see them sign to it?
    I'd like to see us sign Will Conroy and Mike Harris to the team and assign Jermaine Taylor and Joey Dorsey to the team as well.
    Also, maybe take a look at AJ Abrams.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed on all points, although Taylor and Dorsey will likely not (nor should they) be sent down until the Rockets hit a stretch where they will not have many practices. This is what the team has done in the past. As long as there are a lot of practices, better for the young players to get the tutelage of Adelman and his staff then to play in the D-League. But once the team gets into a grind, where there are several back-to-backs and few practices, THAT is when the D-League (and the playing time it can offer) becomes a more attractive option.

Other names for the Vipers: Garrett Temple (obviously), Courtney Sims (although he'll probably be allocated elsewhere, since he's a D-League stud), Garret Siler, Romel Beck (although he'll probably go play overseas), and Paul Harris (a smaller version of Ron Artest and a guy I wanted the Rockets to have on their summer league team).

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My goodness. This is the guy that had like 2-3 chances to win that epic UConn/Syracuse six overtime thriller but couldn't make a layup! Ahhhhhh, still a solid player though. Definitely would have made some noise in the draft if he wasn't a 6'4" power forward.

4. FFz

FFz Member

don't they ahve to draft these players?

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

if i recall correctly paul harris was the jordan classic mvp his senior year of high school... he's undersized, but strong around the rim, and gritty. typical 'cuse player.

he went to the same hs as jonny flynn. he should've stayed for his senior year at syracuse, and been the go to guy for the orange. he's definitely worth a look.

6. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

Will Conroy's D-League rights belong to Albuquerque, they would have to trade for him... that is of course if Conroy signs a D-league contract..

7. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Oh ya, also I hope Garrett Temple, Courtney Sims, Paul Harris, John Lucas, Mike Sweetney, Jake Voskuhl, Dionte Christmas, Goran Suton, Juan Dixon and Jerel McNeal all get a look at least.

Garrett Temple was part of our summer league and pre season roster and has very good defense
    Courtney Sims is a lanky 7 footer who has been Dleague MVP. He is also a good rebounder.
    Paul Harris is 6-4 but plays like a power forward. Very physical and very good rebounder.
    John Lucas has played for the Rockets before. Hes very quick and a good passer.
    Mike Sweetney is 6-9 and 285lbs. He is a big boy basically.
    Jake Voskuhl is 7ft and has been in the league for about 10yrs now.
    Dionte Christmas is a pure shooter.
    Goran Suton is a 7ft shooter.
    Juan Dixon is a PG/SG who has been a bust since he was drafted 17th in the 2002 draft. Maybe a 6th scenery change will help him out.
    Jerel McNeal is a SG who went undrafted. He plays tough D and has a very good shot.

8. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

I'd rather have Jake Voskuhl on our team right now imo, he has the size and dirty play we need at C, Chuck just won't cut it some of the times.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I thought this is why the Rockets took over the management of the team? So they could implement the coaching strategy they want to run with there - get the 'allocated players' doing the things that the coach would have them doing later on.

It MIGHT be that the players we allocate play D-League the first half of the season, and then join the team for the remainder.
    I'd see it as ideal for rookies like Taylor and Budinger - the 82 game season is too long for most rookies anyway, so letting them 'miss' the first 20-30 games might be helpful later on?

In the end there's no substitute for playing NBA.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I disagree completely. The beginning of the regular season is exactly when you want rookies with the team. They need to get a good feel for what "real" NBA life is like: the schedule, the travel, the intensity of the games, etc. Plus, teams usually are able to fit more practices into their schedules, especially since injuries haven't yet taken their toll on the roster.

You are right that one of the reasons the Rockets took over basketball operations of the Vipers was to implement their system. But the Rockets would rather have Rick Adelman and his staff teach that system initially than to have the D-League coaching staff doing so. Playing time in games doesn't become critical until the NBA club is not practicing much and the young players are just wasting away on the bench and losing their conditioning.

My guess is that Taylor and/or Dorsey gets send down about 15-20 games or so into the regular season. Not before then.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I wonder what sims is doing wrong. I've watched the guy play a few times and he can play. He dominated d-league and I thought at the least he could be a 15-20 mins backup or a guy that is a fringe starter. He might be a poor practice player or just don't get it.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I wouldn't sign any more 6'4-6'9" power forward/centers to the dleague with the intention of them coming to the Rockets in the future. The Rockets already have 6. Scratch off Paul Harris and Sweetney.

Courtney Sims would be good. I don't know who Suton is, but he will be needed to run certain plays. Adelman likes to have a C that shoot at the elbow.

13. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Suton has college 3 range.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I would love to sign Swetney and get him committed to a diet/workout program that was strictly monitored by our staff. He is very talented and has one problem, his taste buds overcome him.

15. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

What is PJ Tucker up too these days?

16. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Goran Suton was drafted by the Jazz in the late part of the 2nd round out of Michigan State. He has a very good shot for a center. He is about 6-11. He is also a very good rebounder. He isn't very athletic and he isn't too quick but I think he could develope into a good player.

17. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

In case you were wondering why Utah drafted him:

[​IMG]

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Dionte Christmas

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Goran Suton is NOT 6-11. He's more like 6-8. That is why he was taken late in the second round (with many projecting him to go undrafted). He is skilled, though. If he really were 6-11, he probably would have been a mid-first rounder.

20. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22394

well that says he's 6-10 so...