1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Very likely hitting up Salt Lake City Labor Day Weekend.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Aug 11, 2015.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

First of all I know #FirstWorldProblems

But I got invited to join some people for that weekend in Utah/MT region.

Little disappointed missing first big weekend in College Football.

Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park , etc I know. But what are "epic" things that could be done in four days?

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Get rid of these:

[​IMG]

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This indeed would be epic.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'll be up there at the end of Sept. Would love any recommendations on things to do or places to eat...

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I lived in Utah for about 10 years, so I think I can help.

Fast food options:

- Cafe Rio (you may think going to what basically appears to be a Chipotle clone in Utah is a bad idea, but this place is delicious and always packed for a reason. Get the pork barbacoa, either a salad or burrito, and if you want desert, get the tres leches)
    - Apollo Burger/Crown Burger (basically the same place, amazing pastrami burgers)
    - Gandolfo's Deli (really good subs and a huge menu, I recommend sticking with the Gandolfo. If you're at all inclined towards seafood, get the Mermaid Salad)

Sit down restaurants:
    - Red Iguana (probably the best mexican food in town, with legit, not just standard TexMex fair options)
    - Bombay House (there's a Salt Lake location and a Provo location, I used to go to the one in Provo, which unfortunately had lost a cook or something before I went the last time, so I'm not sure what their current state is, but back in the day it was legitimately my favorite Indian food restaurant. And I've been to India so it's not like I just discovered it for the first time. The butter chicken is usually my favorite, but they have all the stuff you'd expect to find and a couple of interesting house specials, like Raj's Chicken, which is basically like a Mango version of Orange chicken)
    - Siegfried's Delicatessen (German deli, my father in law used to live in Germany and swears by this place. Everything in good, so you can't go wrong)

1 person likes this.
  6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Things to do: (this is going to heavily weighted towards ski resorts, cause seriously, the mountains are amazing)

- Take an Aerial Tram at Snowbird (http://www.snowbird.com/summer/activities/tram/)
    - Drive out to Park City and walk up and down the main drag (this is where all the Sundance Festival stuff happens)
    - Sunday Brunch at the Sundance Resort is delicious and a touch of classy
    - Walk around Silver Lake in Big Cottonwood Canyon (http://climb-utah.com/WM/silver.htm) It's free and gorgeous

Non ski resort stuff:
    - Thanksgiving Point (kind of like a much larger, fancier version of the the Botanical Gardens at Zilker Park. Lots of themed gardens, flowers, fountains, etc. A nice place to take the lady and a very popular place for wedding pictures and stuff. They sometimes have concerts there. There is a great dinosaur museum there if kids are involved, and I believe they also have a Sunday Brunch there... at one point in time they were trying to compete with the Sundacne Brunch)
    - Temple Square - Take a tour of the Mormon temple grounds and the Tabernacle (home of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir) The grounds are very pretty and obviously a lot of history and stuff there
    - University of Utah/BYU campuses - plenty of college scene if that's your thing. Both have lots of local cheap restaurants nearby like you'd expect, should be plenty of activities going on (don't expect to find alcohol if you're in Provo at BYU)

Depending on how much time you have:
    - The Salt Flats - a bit of a drive out west and probably not much to see really, but it's the site of all the ground speed records, and depending on when you're there sometimes there are events where people are going for new records. Those are awesome
    - Rent some 4-wheelers/motorcycles and head out to the Eagle Mountain area. There's a lot of awesome off-roading available

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Go to the Olympic Park and go on a bobsled run. (This is a real thing)

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

I traveled to salt lake city last year a bunch of times for work.

Bruges Waffles & Frites - must eat here
    Takashi - great sushi
    R&R BBQ
    Red Iguana - Great texmex, I went here every time.

Other choies:
    Lucky 13 - Burgers
    Settebello - Pizza
    Capo Gelateria - gelato/ice cream