1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Adidas had got Lebron?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Aug 5, 2015.

?

Would Adidas be Closer to Nike?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Now that they are giving Harden $200 mil, it got me thinking about Adidas and the guys they didn't sign.

If we remove Jordan, Lebron sells the most shoes. $340 mil per year worth. If any of you guys saw the documentary about sonny vaccaro he stated that if the money was the same Lebron would have went with Adidas.

If he had, would Adidas be closer Nike with Basketball? The counter point would be Kobe. Adidas had Kobe and they eventually lost him to Nike.

An interesting fact is they also had a chance to get MJ if they had offered him similar money to Nike.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The internet says Nike is worth 20 billion more than Adidas. Based on that I'd guess not so much. Football and Futbol probably dictate the real money.

3. Air Langhi

No they aren't. People don't go around wearing football shoes. Do you even hear about football players getting big shoe deals. In terms of revenue. Running is no 1. Basketball is 2. It is 15% of their revenue.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nike does more than sell shoes. Why would they bother locking-in huge, league-wide apparel deals in other sports.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you're looking at it backwards. Lebron didn't make Nike bigger. Nike got Lebron because they are bigger. Say Lebron can sell $340m in Nike shoes, and they pay him $20m per year, or a 6% cut essentially. Addidas offers the same $20m, but even with Lebron they can only sell $100m-worth per year of Addidas gear. That's a 20% cut. Can the business guys justify the economics to their bosses and shareholders that the expense of paying Lebron is worth the payoff? Will the remaining 80% still cover the cost for material, labor, and overhead? Maybe, but if they can than Nike can probably offer $30m given their larger scale and outbid them for Lebron while still making money thanks to their scale. For Adidas to steal a big name from Nike, they essentially have to accept some bad economics in the short-term on the faith that it will build their brand to reap benefits in some unknown future.

6. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

If I remember correctly, Nike offered LeBron $90mil/7 Years before he was even drafted. And he was offered more from other brands but declined.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Didn't Lebron sign a $90 million lifetime contract with Nike as a rookie? I bet he's regretting that now.

8. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I think he gets royalties. The $90 mill is the guaranteed portion.

Hopefully an expert chimes in soon.

9. abaker28

abaker28 Member

That 30 for 30 doco with sonny vaccaro regarding Nike & Adidas was very interesting.
    MJ essentially made Nike. Adidas had LeBron in the bag with Sonny getting a verbal agreement, but when it came to signing the contract, Adidas had reduced the amount verbally agreed to (I think by around $15mill) so LeBron didn't sign and instead went with Nike.
    Would've, could've should'ves... Didn't Curry sign with Under Armour for less than $4mill per year? Insane now he's MVP.

10. Air Langhi

Nike's gross margin is 44% so if we take 340*.44=149.6. I don't know how much nike pays lebron, but lets say marketing + Lebron is 120 mil. That is still 30 mil in profit for Nike. If Adidas made Lebrons you think they would sell less shoes assuming they had some marketing budget?

11. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

No. Lebron would've got injured. Happens to every Adidas wearing athlete

12. abaker28

abaker28 Member

That was a sarcastic comment right?
    My personal preference is Nike every day of the week.
    But that comment if a serious one, is silly. Someone posted in another thread the Nike stats re endorsements Vs injuries and that was equally if not larger than what you're saying about Adidas.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just bought Puma running shoes. Very comfy.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Considering Nike was dead before Jordan, that alone proves that one man can change the entire shoe game. If Jordan wasn't still on top, which is amazing in and of itself, and Lebron was the man, he would own the market and whoever has the man on their side has the power.

15. Sanity2disChaos

Adidas and Reebok make the best basketball shoe to play in.Nike makes the most fashionable shoe to play in..

LeBron sighning with adidas would have been that game changer they needed from a business standpoint .too bad they dropped that ball

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

With soccer still being the most popular sport in the world, I would focus more energy on that.

17. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

What if Payless had got Lebron?

18. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Just curious. Who cares?

19. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Adidas shoes are way too narrow and feel kind of stiff in my limited experience. Nike definitely makes the best basketball sneakers - durable and highly functional. Reebok was not bad back in the day.