1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers, Raiders propose to share stadium in Carson, CA

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl-stadium-20150220-story.html#page=1

2. Apps

Apps Member

This joint-stadium thing likely won't happen, but apparently Mark Davis is in Los Angeles right now and I can't imagine he's here for the sights. The Rams and Raiders are looking really close to moving to L.A., and the Chargers are probably sweating bullets right now. The Chargers organization has to be ****ing desperate to release a statement like this.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

So from having no NFL teams for twenty years to having 3 teams in the Los Angeles area. Will be a very confusing and challenging time for local gang leaders.

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The joint stadium is what the NFL has been seeking for a while now. They are realizing that asking tax payers in the states (Especially those in financial dismay as Cali is) struggling with debt is not going to go over well. The Raiders by no means can afford to privately fund a new stadium, they're one of the poorest franchises in the NFL. Doing a joint stadium, they can pile their collective bank accounts together, get some private investors, and do the damn thing.

They're feeling the pressure that Kroenke is making with his proposed Rams move. His proposal is also the best one as well, and was already going to be privately funded.

We'll see how this shakes out. Rumors are the Kroenke may want to sell his Rams, and buy a team already in Cali and move them to LA. Thinking that scenario would be much easier than uprooting the Rams.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That looks like something from one of those "future books" I used to check out from the library as a kid.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If pro athletes stop buying hookers and coke, sure.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That seems like a far, far more complicated way to achieve that end than just moving the Rams. The Rams have a 50 year history in LA and no lease. It's not going to be any easier to uproot the Chargers or Raiders.

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Just to clarify, that wasn't my opinion on him getting an LA team, just what people have mentioned as his possible beliefs. I'm with you on the thought process, only problems the Ram's have right now is convincing St Louis to build another stadium when they still have another decade to pay the current one off. Not sure if I could get past that if I was a tax payer there.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nothing to see here just a couple teams using LA to get what they want locally

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I4pUrUcH0ic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Shell should be all over the naming rights of that stadium.

13. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

What's with the on grass parking? They really feel like they can maintain the grass well enough for continued parking use? I don't see it. I understand not wanting a vast concrete lot like most other stadiums have, but that seems excessive and nearly impossible to maintain properly.

If they don't want a see of grey, just build a couple of parking garages.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But the money-making abilities of teams, and the league, is far more vast than it was when teams initially left LA... any team that moves to LA now has a chance to double or triple its overall value, let alone earn far more than they would staying in their existing cities based on ancillary revenue, media deals, and advertising. Hell, the Texans are worth far more than the Titans are... owners that left bigger markets for smaller ones are finding those areas to now be tapped out and were ultimately poor short-term decisions.

The NFL is also now a year-round mega-league...hell, the scouting combine is currently being talked about more than both college and pro basketball.

LA will get eventually get at least one team.... and if the stadium finances are in place, they'll likely get two. Just way too much money involved to not make it happen.

#14 Nick, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its southern calfornia... and the grass is only being parked on 1 out of every 7 days for a duration of 3-4 months (and if only one team is there, its parked on much less).

16. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Only problem I see is how you set up a sprinkler system without people driving on it and breaking it. I guess you could use those giant wheeled irrigators you see on farms.

I actually think it's a great idea.

17. Major

Major Member

I went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago for a regular season UCLA-Texas game, and they had us park on a golf course. We drove by a bunker and parked next to a fairway somewhere. So there is a precedent there in LA. I assume they do that for all UCLA home games, and the course seemed to be in good condition, so it seems to work somehow.

http://www.grouchygolf.com/2005/12/rose-bowl-parking-lot-my-home-course.html

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can't imagine a scenario where the NFL allows 3 teams to move to LA. Somehow I feel like the Raiders will stay in NoCal and the Rams and Chargers will move...with the Rams in Hollywood Park and the Chargers in Carson or Orange County.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I also don't think it will happen, but why would the NFL stop it if it makes financial sense, and works out from a scheduling standpoint?

LA is big enough... certainly doesn't hurt them when they're supporting 2 hockey, 2 baseball, 2 major college programs, and 2 NBA teams (all drawing very well).

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Absolutely will happen. The Raiders will not continue to play in that ****hole that Al moved them to out of spite. LA money and prestige too important to their attempted rebuilding. The NFL will have to find a way now to keep Stan Kroenke happy to stay in St Louie.