1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waller County: 'Illegal' Lane Change leads to Death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Wow... Writing traffic tickets and hoping to get lucky and pull over someone who has been drinking or that they have a warrant, and responding to domestic disturbance calls... Way to go crime fighter :rolleyes:

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It looks good on the monthly reports though.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, in this case I'm agreeing with you, I know what it is and I know what the U.S Census means when they want people to check that box.

It's just silly, I knew a guy from Spain who had no clue what he was supposed to check. Hispanic White or just White. Technically he'd be correct in checking either but I guess that's my point and it's mostly irrelevant to this thread but still it just irks me that people just find new ways to divide each other into groups.

4. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Tried to make a point...and.....failed, no?

What are you even talking about? Better yet, don't even respond to me.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I think they started breaking it down that way because otherwise they'd have to check the "white" box and then it would say that 70% of Texas was "white" even though that doesn't give a good representation of what the state actually looks like since in Texas, unlike pretty much all states in the north, there is a legitimate Hispanic population.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Maybe for the report... But not good enough for some of these cops to expect citizens to kiss their azz like they're batman.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree there isn't enough evidence to say that the LEO was racially profiling Bland that still doesn't change that he behaved unprofessionally and allowed his emotions to affect his actions with a difficult stop.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Bull****. If you take into account that part of his daily patrol is in predominantly white parts of the county, then your assumption falls apart.

He pulled over 9% more black people than you would expect given demographics. He pulled over 9% fewer white people than you would expect given demographics.

Well, I guess not more or fewer than YOU would expect, but more or fewer than a reasonable observer would expect.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Isn't a cops patrol usually isolated to a few square miles? We know that Bland was pulled over in Prairie View. The county is 518 square miles and the other 2 largest cities in the county - Hempstead (8 miles away) and Brookshire (28 miles away) are both 36% to 39% African American and 32% to 36% white. Added to Prarie Views 89% African American..and I honestly don't see a case that he was targeting African Americans At all. Even taking Brookshire out since its so far away and likely NOT in his patrol area.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You think racists consider Mexicans to be white?

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

TBH, I don't know how big his patrol area is. When you add the areas between the largest cities in the county, I would venture that they are predominantly white, given that whites are 43.6%, but my true point was that bobby's assumption didn't match with the statistics any more than my assumption did. I would be interested in seeing the extent of his regular patrol area.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Think, no. I know.

If you have blonde hair and blue eyes and happened to be born in Mexico you are still white. Racists don't make some distinction that since you are from Mexico and speak spanish that you are not white.

They go entirely by physical appearance, and if you look white then you are white to them.

Even if you read Dylan Roof's manifesto he breaks down what he thinks of the various 'races' and I quote...

If you lurk stormfront or any White Supremacist forum you'll find they say the same things. About Mexico, Argentina, whatever Latin America country. If you look white enough to them, you are white.

13. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

There are only four recognized races; Black, White, Asian and Pacific Islander. There are however, countless ethnicities. Don't confuse the two, they're not interchangeable.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, that's usually the thinking of racists, that four races psuedo-science stuff.

That's how you can have a racist like Dylan Roof believe that there is good white blood in Latin America because they truly believe that 4 races stuff.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

There is no such thing as race.

16. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I didn't make it up. It's a fact.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

lol yes it is, if you believe race science from the 1800s.

18. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texas trooper indicted in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SandraBland?src=hash">#SandraBland</a> case is fired <a href="https://t.co/TQ5CPA7Mkq">https://t.co/TQ5CPA7Mkq</a> <a href="https://t.co/YQmtog1pki">pic.twitter.com/YQmtog1pki</a></p>&mdash; Yahoo News (@YahooNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/684897691747368960">January 7, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>