1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawrence Lessig for president (of the United States)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Because I figured nobody else would start this thread, and it's worth discussing if you're constantly bemoaning your unicorn candidates.

Lawrence Lessig v. Citizens United

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/13/embrace-irony

His bio:

His platform:

http://republic.lessig.org/

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Never governed.
    Not rich enough.

Is he running for Green Party?

3. Northside Storm

On August 11, 2015, Lessig announced that he had launched an exploratory campaign for the purpose of exploring his prospects of winning the Democratic Party's nomination for President of the United States in the 2016 election.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would vote for him. Already had a nice e-mail exchange with him in 1998.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Saw him on MSNBC last night. It is a gimmick though his one issue is very important. As he admits Bernie Sanders has the issue covered but vote for Lessig as he has only one issue he will talk about and he will quit office once he takes the money out of politics. Bernie has other issues also so you should vote for Lessig. Weak.

Seems like a nice guy but he he should probably stick to writing law review articles which in general are seldom read and continue pushing for taking the money out of politics in other forums.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lessig is more than a one issue pony. Granted he's more about the progressive form of speech rights, the work he's done for a freer internet would be very important and ground changing on the national level.

I agree he's too much of a niche candidate, though I'd be more interested if he ran through the gauntlet that is Congress and comes out with the same voice.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lawrence Lessig is a sharp mother****er. He has no chance of being president or succeeding in this, but still, he's sharp.

8. Major

Major Member

I think he's really just trying to get enough of the vote to get on the debate stage so he can promote his issue to a national audience. Not sure what that cutoff is on the Dem side or if he can reach it or not, but I assume it's in the 2-5% range.

9. Northside Storm

It's 1%.