1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch Community Reaches For The Stars! (9/27)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Dear ClutchFan Members,

Clutch Community has organized our next volunteer event for Saturday, 27-September at the Star of Hope Mission to assist persons taking shelter at the Transitional Living Center and the Women and Family Emergency Center by (a) preparing and serving dinner, and (b) helping to clean up the kitchen / cafeteria afterwards. This event is on a Saturday, from 16:00 - 18:30 (4:00 PM - 6:30 PM). We are hoping to obtain enough volunteers (12+) to fill the needs at both centers on the evening of the 27th. If, however, we are limited on our Clutch Community charity workers, we may only be able to help one location. The goal of my wife and I is helping BOTH centers (if at all possible). Like the former Rockets slogan, it's time to "Think Big".

Don't forget, each volunteer will receive a Clutch Community t-shirt as our "thank you" for joining us and helping others.

As always, the Clutch Community - especially myself - appreciates your interest and support. Please let me know if you would like to sign up for this event and we will make it happen.

Yours Truly,
    Roc Paint

1 person likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

The following information will provide more detail about the event we have planned. If you want more information, you can contact me through the Clutch Community social site.

"Dear Roc Paint,

Volunteers of Clutch Community to assist with dinner!

Thank you so much for volunteering at Star of Hope! That strangers would take the time to help, touches the hearts of our clients in a way most of us can never imagine. Your partnership with our mission is a tangible demonstration to our clients that they have worth and value as people; that others truly do care; and that better days are indeed ahead. Quite simply, YOU ARE HOPE!

*We are expecting your group to volunteer at the Star of Hope for the following:

Date: September 27th, 2014
    Time:4:00pm-6:30pm
    Location(s): Transitional Living Center, 6801 Ardmore, 77054 (713-487-1200)
    and Women & Family Emergency Shelter, 419 Dowling, 77003 (832-487-1200)
    Project: To assist with preparation, serving and clean-up of dinner.

Please watch this video about volunteering in the kitchen before volunteering:
    http://www.sohmission.org/volunteer-orientation

Directions to the facility are located on our website at www.sohmission.org under the “Contact Us” tab. If you are unable to make your scheduled time, please let us know as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me – I am here to help! Again, thank you for partnering with Star of Hope. We are grateful for you and look forward to serving together! Together we can make this Our City. Our Home. Our Mission!

Sincerely,
    Amber Wilmeth
    Volunteer Liaison
    Star of Hope Mission"

Thanks again,
    Roc Paint

3. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I've volunteered there with my church before and really enjoyed it. It's a fun atmosphere and you really see the difference you're making. I encourage all who can to participate. You'll get a lot out of it and they really appreciate the help.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looking forward to it!

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Ahh..would've attended, but I have more important plans that weekend.

Going to be out of town for some business bro.

#5 chow_yun_fat, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  6. Roc Paint

"Using no way as way,"
    "Having no limitations as limitations"

-Bruce Lee

#6 Roc Paint, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Friends, I encourage you to join Roc Paint and co for this wonderful opportunity. All the folks involved are incredibly down to earth and make a good deed even more enjoyable!

If you are hung up on being associated with your username, feel free to not use it. This is purely a way for us to make a difference in the community.

Thanks again Roc Paint and RocRouge for organizing everything!

2 people like this.
  8. RocRouge

RocRouge Contributing Member

Shastarocket, first of all let me THANK YOU for the warming embrace you provided with your words. They are very much appreciated!

Our only goal IS to make this about the community and what "we" (Houstonians or the like), as a whole, can DO to make the Houston-area a better place. We have several 'outside ClutchFans' volunteers that have participated and/or are interested in contributing to our charity events as well. Which brings me to another purpose as to why volunteerism is so important to us, under the Clutch Community group. Groups matter, and making a significant difference in our community stretches with each person that joins a group (and that can be any group!). You don't have to be a ClutchFan member to join Clutch Community, nor do you have to be repeatedly available on each of our scheduled monthly events. A one-time appearance is completely acceptable; however, we wouldn't be surprised if you wanted to join us on every event because of how good it feels to help others in need! :grin:

Please keep us posted on your interest. And like shastarocket said, you don't have to provide any personal information to us. Your commitment to show up (via this thread or the Clutch Community social group/email to Roc Paint) is enough...and we will make the necessary adjustments for everything else.

Again, thanks for offering your support to the community!

RocRouge

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If I'm in town that weekend I'll be down.

10. Roc Paint

That would be great LonghornFan! Looking forward to meeting you and helping some families in need.

11. hvic

hvic Member

I'm out of town that weekend but keep me updated on the next event.

12. Roc Paint

I appreciate your interest. My wife and I try to plan an event once a month. We post where the event is going to be at the beginning of the month and the actual event is (usually) scheduled towards the end of the month, to give people time to plan.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'd like to do this. Would it be possible at all to bring my almost 5 year old son to help in some way? I'd like to start him early at looking at things like this and he always loves to help anyway. If not I understand and I'd still like to help.

2 people like this.
  14. Roc Paint

Wow, thank you mikol13. We, as a group, appreciate you and your sons interest! :grin: I just called Amber to find out the age-limit (if there is one), however, she will be out of the office until Tuesday, 9-September. I left a message on her vm and will hopefully hear back from her on the affirmative! I appreciate your support!

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thank you for putting these things together. I've actually wanted to do something like this on the regular for a very long time. I also want my two young boys to grow up understanding that there are less fortunate people in this world that may need our help. I'm pretty excited by all of this to be honest. I'm hoping to make the time to be at as many of these as possible. Thanks.

Edit: Just wanted to say that I just had a conversation with my son and explained all of this to him. I told him that he may have an opportunity to help and he was very excited. He also wants me to give money, buy blankets and pillows. Ha. Very proud already. :grin:

#15 mikol13, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roc Paint,

Ahh, finally coming up for air....As you know, I've been out of pocket. My friend/roommate has been very sick (major respiratory infection/severe pneumonia) for awhile (which required me splitting time between work and taking care of him at home) and finally with him entering the hospital, having emergency surgery. His sister came in for the week from SoCal and just left....It appears he's going into a facility to heal up for the next coupe of weeks minimum...gonna be okay though..I think.

Anyway....

Now, I can turn my attention to hanging with you all and helping some other folks who really need it.
    So, I want to be in the thick of the action here. I'll call you later tonight.

Plow

1 person likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

That is awesome. It's great to expose our children to the other side of life. It really makes us humble human beings. I applaud you. Thanks again!

18. Roc Paint

My thoughts and prayers are with you my brother. When the time is right, we'll make miracles happen together.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Monetary donation made in lieu of participation...good luck!

20. Roc Paint

Thanks again bobrek, you are awesome! :)