1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Are times this hard? 'Hit-and-run grannies'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess this is a way to get around Social Security

Rocket River

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/01/hitrun.grannies.ap/index.html

'Hit-and-run grannies' charged with murder
    Women allegedly killed homeless men for insurance

Tuesday, August 1, 2006; Posted: 12:17 p.m. EDT (16:17 GMT)

Helen Golay, 75, was charged with two counts of murder and could face the death penalty.
    Image:

Save on All Your Calls with Vonage
    Save 50% on your bill with Vonage unlimited local/long distance -...
    www.vonage.com Bad Credit Refinance
    Up to 4 quotes with 1 form. Serious refinance inquiries only please.
    www.nextag.com Homeowners - Don't Miss Out
    $145,000 mortgage for $484 per month. Refinance while rates are still low.
    www.lowermybills.com
    More Useful Links
    • Digital Cameras
    • Masters Degrees
    • Sleep Aids

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

Fraud
    Los Angeles (California)
    Murders
    or Create Your Own
    Manage Alerts | What Is This? LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Two women in their 70s were charged Monday with having homeless men killed in hit-and-run car crashes to collect more than $2 million in life insurance.

Olga Rutterschmidt, 73, and Helen Golay, 75, were each charged with two counts of murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit murder for financial gain.

The charges make the women eligible for the death penalty. Prosecutors will wait until the case moves closer to trial before deciding whether to seek executions, Deputy District Attorney Shellie Samuels said.

The women are accused of arranging hit-and-run killings in alleys using drivers whose identities are unknown. Paul Vados, 73, was killed in November 1999 and Kenneth McDavid, 51, was killed in June 2005.

The women were arrested in May and initially charged with federal mail fraud.

They are awaiting an October trial on those charges, but in light of the murder allegations authorities are considering dropping the fraud counts for now, said U.S. attorney spokesman Thom Mrozek. He added that those charges could be refiled later.

The women befriended the transients, paid for them to stay in apartments and obtained their signatures before taking out three dozen life insurance policies on them, authorities say.

They had them killed and then collected while falsely claiming to be relatives, according to the complaint.

Some insurers found the circumstances suspicious and refused to pay.

An investigation began last year when police looking into McDavid's death found similarities to the Vados case, authorities said. Blood was found in a car Golay reportedly had towed from near where McDavid was killed.

"I plan on handling the case and winning because there was no murder and there is no evidence of murder," Golay's attorney, Roger Jon Diamond, said Monday.

Rutterschmidt had not immediately obtained an attorney for the state charges, officials said.

The investigation was continuing.

"Investigators are still looking into the possibility that other victims may also have fallen prey to these women," said Kevin Maiberger, a Los Angeles police spokesman.

The women cannot be arraigned on the murder charges until they are transferred from federal to state custody.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'll ask my grandma who lives on $850 per month social security how bad it is. With $3.00 gas and the rising cost of health care and utilities I know she has a hard time making ends meet even though her house and car are paid for. I pay for her electricity in the summer to help her out.

Oil companies - record profits
    Drug companies - record profits
    Government for the people... more like for the large corporations.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This affects people on a fixed income...However, killing is killing...

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think I'll take up smoking and binge drinking and hopefully die relatively young...