1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PS3] Journey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Mar 22, 2012.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TjLAhYnf4CY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Has anyone else played this yet? It's a PS3 exclusive, available only via download. It's extremely short (2-3 hours), but it's more an experience than a traditional game, and it's something I will play through more than once. For those reasons, it's well worth the $15 price tag. It's worth noting that it's currently rated 92 on metacritic.com.

Given that it's so short, I don't want to discuss the specifics of the game too much. I'll just say that, as a work of art, it's a masterpiece. Controls and gameplay are simple and fun, the visuals are gorgeous, and the multi-player is executed to perfection. But, the best element of all is the music. Oh my...that music.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PprWYtevpck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Again, because the game is so short, I would suggest you don't watch any reviews. Just trust that if the videos in I posted made it look like your kind of game, then it most likely is. Download it already.

2. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Just finished it last night. I have to say its one of the best games I've ever played. This definitely is a work of art. There are sections of the game where I am just amazed at how beautiful everything is. The music is great. The mood and atmosphere of the game is off the charts.

The section where you're in that "machine" or whatever it is and you fill it up with water/magic to float up to the top is awesomely fun. Also great after you fall unconcious/dead and you get revived afterwards.

3. Poloshirtbandit

I can't watch the video, I can only see the thumbnail but it looks like the old "Out of This World" game.

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

It looks really cool. I've been enjoying playing shorter games lately, and this one has been radar. I will definitely check it out when I finish up the Jak and Daxter Collection.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( I sincerely thought this was going to be about the band Journey.

6. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Beautiful game. Just turn off the lights, crank up the surround sound, and enjoy the ride. Loved the 3rd level when you're just flying through everything.

Flower was pretty awesome, but this is definitely the game I'll be showing when I have friends over. Easy to play, no crazy mechanics, and just...beautiful.

7. ClutchCityReturns

You're right. It does sort of have that look, but obviously much more polished.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

These types of games are the future. Nice, simple, and beautiful. I stopped playing games once the controls got too complicated but I will be downloading this one tonight.

9. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I don't think they are the future, but they have a very solid place in the future. With two kids, a lot of household responsibilities, a job, and trying to write my second novel, I don't have a lot of time to play games. I especially am hesitant when I know a game is going to require a sizeable time commitment (Dark Souls). Playing a game like Braid, Outland, or Journey is perfect. You can finish it in a few play sessions.

10. ClutchCityReturns

One of the best things about Journey is the fact that it's so short, which lends itself to multiple plays - which in turn highlights the genius of the game's multiplayer.

You start out alone, and then they randomly pair you, seamlessly and in real-time, with an anonymous co-op partner with which you can't speak. It's just some other person who happens to be playing at the same time as you, but you don't see their screen name, and the only communicative device you have is the ability to "sing" single notes to each other. But, because the game is so short, you can manage to play through the entire game with this random person at your side, and somehow you develop a special bond along the way.

Even though it's not at all necessary to work together or even pay attention to the other player, you find that you have this inherent urge to stick together. And the fact that they're anonymous and have a limited ability to communicate with you really creates a sense that, if you lost contact with them, you'll lose them forever. It's brilliant.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I haven't had a chance to check it out, but good to hear that so many people enjoy it. I really like what thegamecompany puts out. Really unique stuff. Looking forward to (eventually) playing Journey.

And sadly, I too don't really think Journey is the future of games (wish it was, but CoD in space is probably the future).

12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

13. RC Cola

I think this is thatgamecompany's last game in their Sony deal, so their next game will probably be available on other platforms. Doesn't make much difference here, but at least you have that to look forward to.

14. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I am really curious to see if they can do something amazing with Kinect; just seems like a natural fit for their brand of interactive storytelling that relies more on emotional engagement rather than physical precision control.

Heck, at this point I'll support anyone who's still willing to take risks and create new IP. Only way that gaming grows and technology advances.

15. RC Cola

Yep, that's partly why I like these guys so much (well...besides making some good games).

Part of their philosophy (from Wikipedia):

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'll have to check it out this weekend then.

17. ClutchCityReturns

Spoiler...

There are no teenage girls in the game.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Me too, would have LOVED for it to have been an updated version

{obligatory}
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Just wanted to add my voice to those who really enjoyed the hell out of this game. I had downloaded Flower ages ago on the advice of my brother but never played it... after finishing Journey, though, I finally played Flower and also downloaded FlOw. All are great, but I think I like Journey the best, followed by FlOw, and then Flower last.

I think I've played through Journey about five times now. After you earn the regenerating scarf (for finding all the symbols) and know where everything is, the game can really fly by. I timed myself on my most recent playthrough and finished it in 70 minutes. But even playing it through speedily didn't make the experience any less powerful for me.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

damn.

just downloaded it, I will play it later tonight.