1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Morris Almond play point?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets kupo, Jun 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

With all the talk about picking up Almond with the 26th pick, I wonder would we be able to run a two man set with Luther head and Morris Almond both out on the floor?

Is Head gone if we draft Almond?

discuss. ;)

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Can Morris play the 4? or the 1? on both sides of the ball?

If not, I do not think the Rox will draft him.

3. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

with alston, lucas and v-span on the roster...as well as the recurring rumors of francis and james being brought in, why would Houston be looking to add a point guard through the draft.

as has been mentioned before, next years draft will be much deeper in the pg dept. anyway.

this team is think at every position skillwise...so limiting our draft needs to 1 and 4 simply because they are our two biggest weaknesses does not necessarilly make us a better team.

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

what the crap kinda question was that? morris almond is a 6'6 guard/forward who averaged less than 2 assists last year...draw your own conclusions...

this draft is weak in 1's and 4's...why reach on one when we have no 2nd rounder or cap space? trying to get the best value, reaching for any of the PG's or PF's in this draft wouldnt be a good idea.

5. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

i see your point. but its obvious that mean if we were to draft him, we eventually would have to head and him on the floor at the same time. I dont want head handling the ball, so this is why i ask if he could have on the responsibilities.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Why would we have to have him and head on the floor at the same time?

7. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

to surround yao with shooters? :confused:

8. htownbball

htownbball Member

we could have jai, vspan, tracy, or rafer on the floor with almond...

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Almond would make Luther Head look like Pete Maravich.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

ALmond cannot play the point. While we do need a PG & PF, we also need size at guard and depth.

There is no point reaching for a PG or PF at 26 who the team does not think will fit or will probably take a few years to develop just because of the position. We need too many pieces right now, If there is a good SG or something there, draft him.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Marco Belinelli is the better option.

He is also a sharpshooting 6'6 SG, but who can also play the point.

Head would not need to bear the full PG duties with Belinelli on the court with him.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt Bellini will be able to play point next year or really create his own shot.

He would be a good draft pick.

Oh, and I think Head is gone. this off season. Can he hit 3's yes, but he is undersized without the quickness and athleticism. He is one of our best trading pieces, and will not increase in value unless he really improves next year, which i'm not sure will happen.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I disagree.

With the 26th pick in the draft you take the BPG or someone you really believe can develope because you are giving garunteed 4 years to who ever you draft.

You do not pick a 4 or a 1 just because that is the spot you need. There better be someone there that you truley beleave in.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trading the pick is also a possibility.

But no way, no how do the Rox draft a 3 or a 5, even if said playa is The BPG. A 5 would at best see 12 mpg for the next four years. A 3 would be lucky to be on the 12 man squad. That is assuming that Yao, TMac, and Battier are staying put.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I agree that at the bottom of the first, we can't try and wedge in a need position with a second round talent (I'm talking to you, Croatian PF). If there is a guy that can crack our rotation, we go with him. If there's a trade to be made for a need position, we use it for that.

As much as I like him, Head is a niche guy that needs to come off the bench - his outside shooting and baseline drives fed by Yao are all he has. Poor defense, poor passing, mediocore handle. I don't think he's a major piece to the puzzle. If Bonzi/Snyder aren't going to be our non-short SG, this is a good draft to grab one. Almond, Affalo, Williams, a bunch of these guys look like they can contribute to me. Maybe enough to make people forget about Rudy Gay and make Head expendable.

Evan

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Overlooking the fact that putative diminutive PGH (hopeful, that is) Lil Luke is the man's son, is there any chance Luther will be working on his handle at the John Lucas Circus for Point Guards and Reclamation Projects?