1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you rank prime Hakeem among the All time best NBA Centers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nikos, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

How would you rank him as a center in his prime and overall?

I consider him the best center of his era, and arguably the second best player in the NBA of his time behind Michael Jordan in the 1990's.

What do you guys think?

How would a prime Hakeem stack up against todays competetion?

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Against today's competition? There is no competetion at the 5 with the exception of Shaq. I think Shaq's power (of today) vs. a prime Hakeem would be much like it was in the 1995 Finals: Power vs. Finesse, and the result would be more or less a draw.

Now how Dream ranks all-time, I think he's the best all-time, hands down, but of course I'm biased. Hakeem definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence with Kareem, Wilt, and Russell. IMO, Hakeem is the perfect combination of grace, speed, ability, and strength.

If i were building an all-time team, Dream would be my starting center.

3. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I think you have to rank players by eras because its really unfair to compare Bill Russell to the Dream. Bill Russell was 6'9 and could use his elbows and knees to defend. Bill Russell would not be able to last one minute in todays game as a center but he would make a good 4. So comparing players of years past is really unfair.

If I were to actually rank the all-time centers I would put it like this.

1. Kareem
    2. Dream
    3. Shaq
    4. Wilt
    5. Malone
    6. Hayes
    7. Ewing
    8. Robinson
    9. Russell
    t-10. Mutumbo
    t-10. Cato

I think Dream was the best all-around center but Kareem outplaying Dream in his 40's puts him at the top. I know my list is going to be controversial but thats just the way I see it.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hakeem in his prime is the most-skilled center ever to play. And since I appreciate basketball skills more than just height or strength, I would say that in his prime he was the best center ever. I would also find it hard to argue that Hakeem isn't the best defender of all time.

So, if he's the most-skilled offensive center ever and the best defensive player ever...I think that answers the question. But since his overall accomplishments don't match Kareem's, its definitely fair to call Kareem the best center of all time too. Which is why a lot of people who haven't really seen Hakeem play as much as us Houstonians have, say Kareem is the best. They're just looking at the all-time numbers.

5. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Kareem did school the Dream when they played in Akeem's rookie season.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Hakeem is as good as any top 5 center, but I wouldn't rank him #1 (other than in my heart).

1. Chamberlin - The guy literally changed the game. Goal tending, 3 seconds, the width of the lane were ALL as a result of him.

2. Jabar - Kareem would have Olajuwon beat as the all-time blocked shots leader if they kept records, plus Kareem played a long, LONG time and was still playing well at the end of his career.

3. Olajuwon - He is just amazing. Nuff said.

4. Russell - Nevermind the (what was it 9 straight???) championships, the guy was a great warrior and a tremendous player.

5. Shaq - It is hard to ignore how dominant this guy is, particularly given the era and the speed of players around him.

6. Moses Malone - Simply a force in the middle despite being small for his size.

7. Elvin Hayes - Hard to call him a pure center but Hayes was the man in his era.

8. Robert Parrish - Highly underrated.

9. Willis Reed

10. Wes Unseld

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You may now take the blindfold off. Controversial?? How bout Loo-da-criss:) (as Mike Tyson would say)

Russell and Wilt are 1 & 2 in any era. Bill Russell not last a minute in today's game? They said the same thing about him when the Celtics drafted him.

To put Robinson, Ewing, Hayes, Malone, Shaq and yes, even Dream ahead of Russell, has to be a joke.

How many good centers has Shaq gone up against in his career so far?

Dream has had a nice career. All time Blocks leader... pfft...they didn't keep blocks when Russell or Wilt played. That record means nothing.

You are entitled to your opinion. Just thought I would state mine as well.:cool:

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

1. Kareem
    2. Dream

the rest let them fall where they may. Shaq no greater than 5 though.

9. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

how about a kareem dream tie for number 1

10. Axeman

Axeman Member

I would put him in the top 5 but it would be hard to put those in order. They are/were all great for different reasons. But, since we always have to rank them.... My 5 best all-time centers:

1. Wilt Chamberlain - the all-time best. PERIOD.

2. Kareem Abdul-Jabaar - almost as great as Wilt. Had they counted blocked shots for the first few years of his career, Hakeem would still be about 2,000 behind him

3. Hakeem Olajuwon - Best all-around center ever, just not the best center. He could steal, he could block, he could score, he could rebound. But, I still think both Wilt and Kareem were way more dominant for longer.

4. Shaquille O'Neal - If he keeps going the way he is, he has a chance to overtake Hakeem in the 3rd spot. He might have more rings than Hakeem by the end of this summer. And, there's no question he dominates like probably no other center ever has. I mean, the dude does pretty much whatever he wants, no one can stop him, and he can run the floor like a madman. In fact, I'd say he has a chance to be in the top two but he'll have to have 3 or 4 more years like the last two years.

5. Bill Russell - The best leader as a center, and a workman. But never as well-rounded as the other centers in this list (except maybe Shaq --- but Shaq is way more dominant that Russell ever was).

11. Axeman

Axeman Member

Also, one more thing... I saw that Jeff added Karl Malone to his list... I don't consider him a center. He's definitely a power-forward. And, he is ABSOLUTELY the greatest power forward to ever play. Regardless of his flops and whining, he has been THE most consistent player in NBA history. He practically averaged 25 points and 12 rebounds every year even until he was 37 (last year). I think this year is the first year his age is starting to catch up with him. But, he has delivered every year and has come to play every night. He has been injured only once or twice in his career...

Now, I'm no personal fan of the guy, but I totally respect what he has accomplished in this league. Remember, he is also one of the top three in career total points. He will go down as one of the greatest ever. History will be kinder to him than the fans have. I think Stockton will also be looked back on as the greatest point guard in NBA history after Magic Johnson.

That's just my opinion.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Hey drummer boy, you need some glasses! :)

It is MOSES Malone, not Karl.

:D

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, from what I understand Russell was a bad offensive player. I have trouble putting a guy who could not play offense above a guy who was the most skilled offensive center, especially when that skilled offensive center was also one of the best defenders player. And yes, I'm sure Russell would have had more blocks than Hakeem, but would he also be among the ten best in steals. Maybe. But I doubt it.

And as far as Chamberlain...I've never really seen him play so I can't really comment on it. But when I see he scored 100 points in a game, the first thing I think is not "WOW! He's Unbelievable," it's "Damn! What was the deal with the level of competition at that time?" I mean for someone to score 100 points in a PROFESSIONAL game, the balance of power in the NBA was obviously off-kilter at the time.

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

The absolute toughest thing to determine "the best" is that dominance and being the better player so not necessarily go hand in hand. Wilt dominated because there was no one who could match his size and power. (Even Russell, despite the rings...Russell has more rings because he had better players surrounding him.) Shaq is dominant, sure, but who is his competition? Shaq is more physically dominant than Dream, but imo Dream is the better player by a long shot. Dream was better against better competition (Robinson, Ewing, a young Mourning, and a young Shaq).

No one can physically stop Shaq and no one could physically stop Chamberlain. Hell, no one could stop George Mikan way back when.

These threads are always fun. I still think Dream is the best all-round center to ever play the game. He wasn't the most dominant, but he was the best.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Hakeem in his prime was the best ALL AROUND center of all time. Wilt was the most dominant. Shaq may not be far behind. Russell was not a 7 footer, but maybe the best defensive center. Kareem had a great shot (the sky hook), but I would not rate him above Hakeem, Wilt, Russell, or even Shaq. I watched Elvin Hayes "school" Kareem in the Astrodome in that famous UCLA vs. U. H. game. I also watched Wilt score 100 pts. I watched Russell in the great Celtics era. Hakeem played many games on "cruise control" at a higher level than most NBA players, but when he decided to turn it on, he elevated to a level I have never seen before or since.

16. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

hakeem took shaq to school
    robinson was no match
    ewing struggled big time

to bad he never played jordan in finals

than i say 100% that he is first all time

my number 2 is robinson he lead league in everything

shaqs lucky he doesnt have any skilled centers anymore he
    couldn't stop either dream or robinson in there prime

the others I havent seen play enough to comment

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Shaq would DESTROY David Robinson

It wouldn't even be close

Rob matched up well with Dream, physically, and was humiliated.
    Shaq tosses him aside now, and he'd do the same to DRob of 8 years ago.

Robinson was a great hustle player, rare from the C position.
    But he was never unstopable.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

1. Wilt
    2. Hakeem
    3. Shaq
    4. Kareem
    5. Russell

Wilt changed the game and the rules. I think Russell is just a bit overrated. Yeah he won nine championships, but he had hall of famers for teammates and basically no competition. Shaq is the best player in the game today. Kareem's longetivity alone makes him one of the best players in any sports. Hakeem definitely has the best overall game out of any of these players.

Sad to say Hakeem wont be mentioned in the top 3 centers, becasue he played in a small market team. Also except for Wilt all the other centers on my list had budding all stars or HOF's to help them along throughout their careers. Hakeem had Clyde basically at the end of his career.

19. lpbman

lpbman Member

And Shaq has Kobe, but I doubt that'll play much into these conversations in the future. Shaq is the complete player we all feared he would become when he left LSU

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I never thought I would say this, but I think Shaq is better than Hakeem. #'s wise, he is at least equal. I think he is more of an unstoppable force down low, and a better rebounder. Also, I think he handles the ball better. I've seen Shaq make some wicked assists and handle the ball well on a fast break. I've seen Shaq actually dribble it full court, and I 've never seen Dream do that. Frankly, Dream looks very uncomfortable dribbling the ball.

Hakeem is more graceful than Shaq, but when Shaq has retired, it will be obvious that he was better and more productive.. My top 5:

1.Wilt
    2.Kareem
    3.Shaq
    4.Russell
    5.Dream

Sorry guys. I've been biased too long. Shaq is/was better than Hakeem.