1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Confirmed - Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Victor Ortiz Sept 17th.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Evil Empire, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good. And frankly a most interesting match than either he or Manny's come up with recently. At least not a re-tread.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

LOL ... Good one!

4. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Floyd vs Pac is gonna be like the Guns and Roses album Chinese Democracy. By the time they get it together everyone will have lost interest.

"Arthritis seems to have slowed Mayweather's jab, he hasn't done real damage since he knocked Pacquiao's dentures out in the third."

5. SunsRocketsfan

what if floyd loses to Ortiz and Pac loses to Marquez? haha that would be anti-climatic

6. Prince

Prince Member

nice...

7. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Pretty excited for both fights...should at least be better than the Pac/Mosley crap

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not the greatest boxing match up but not a horrible one either... with that said, I'd expect Ortiz will get systematically picked apart by Mayweather. In his match verses Berto, Ortiz's defense was wide open and he was continually getting caught by Berto's lead right and lead left and hooks and in the process nearly got ktfo. Luckily for him, Berto was only throwing one punch at at time for the most part and still hurt/suffering from Ortiz's knockdowns and pressure.

Ortiz fought a great fight against Berto. Fought with strength, grit, determination and showed alot of toughness. Unfortunately he also showed that hes there to be hit, he's susceptible to speed and can be countered/boxed. Mayweather is the best technical boxer/counter puncher in the world, nearly as fast as berto (hand speed) and has not only so much more boxing experience than Berto but much more so at welterweight, where Ortiz will only be fighting for the 2nd time.

Ortiz's only shot to win is if he somehow can get and stay inside Mayweather... keeping the fight, furious, fast paced, tight and dirty. If he can constantly pressure, attack and avoid getting hurt, he might have a chance by outworking floyd.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dei

Dei Member

Ditto.

Wow, Manny's fighting Marquez? It has to be at 140 at the most. I just don't see it being fair, any higher.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'm guessing manny vs marquez will mostly be a one sided affair. Manny will KO marquez somewhere in the middle rounds and it wont be because of the fight taking place at 144 (or if it took place at 147 or 140 either).

The weight for Manny vs Marquez is an overblown and unimportant factor IMO since both fighters will weigh approximately the same on fight night (each have weighed in at 142-145 on fight nights the past couple years). This is isnt like Marquez fighting Floyd, where he weighed 146 and floyd at likely 156+ on fight night. In other words, there wont be any disparity in weight to influence this fight.

What will be a huge factor, is Marquez's age. Even b4 marquez fought floyd, he's been slowing down. As seen in his 09 fight vs diaz, Marquez has been alot easier to hit than he once was. While his counter punching, technique and combination work is still great, his defense has slowed considerably since the last time he fought Manny.

Marquez is still a warrior, a top level boxer and as his fights after Floyd have proven (vs Diaz, Katsidas) someone still capable of firing the shots, taking the fight to his opponnents (unlike Mosley) and finishing them. I see Marquez taking the fight to Pac, firing his counter shots, combinations and going all out, but ultimately a TKO victim of not only Manny, but of time.

1 person likes this.
  11. Relentless

Relentless Member

What about the 65 mil Pacquaio was offered over the weekend to fight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in Mexico?

Would he take that fight? I know I would

12. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

13. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Ugh....i liked Ortiz last time he was up....should be interesting at least

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is a good matchup. Leads me to believe that Pacquiao-Mayweather will definitely happen in Summer 2012. Both are scheduled to fight their toughest opponent in years and should be free for a summer matchup. Ortiz is also a southpaw, which seems as if he's preparing for Pacman who is also a southpaw. And just for kicks, Manny is fighting a counter puncher, which Is where Floyd does his most damage. It's gonna happen folks! They were just holding out to get the maximum amount of money they can make. They will make more next summer than if they did the fight when they first started negotiations.

Mayweathers return is great for boxing. Manny can't carry the sport by himself. And there isn't anyone else on the horizon for the time being.

15. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

F Mayweather

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

I'm not a Floyd fan either, but his technical skill is undeniable. Seeing one of the greatest counterpunchers ever go against a tactically skilled, quick, hard punching animal like Manny, who utilizes angles better than anyone Floyd has ever seen fight, is almost assured to be an instant classic. Both have shown in different points of their career that they can be touched (Floyd v Mosley and Pacman earlier in his career), but neither has fought a man capable of following through. Their determination and skill, often has ultimately influenced their opponent to capitulate. That won't be the case this time. Neither of these men will allow their mind to bend to the will of each other. Their is too much pride, too much bad blood and too much at stake historically, to allow such weakness. So I expect this fight to boil over into territory neither man has experienced...and I CANNOT WAIT.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Interesting to see certain people criticizing this fight. Well, not so much. I'd like to hear the names of who they felt were more credible opponents at 147 then Ortiz.

This won't be competitive if Floyd hasn't slipped some (think his fight versus Gatti) but this is the best opponent he or Manny has fought in years.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

while I agree that Floyd will school this youngster, I don't see a gatti style beat down. I see a dominant 12 rounds decision win like against Sugar Shame. I would like to see Floyd go for the kill but I think he'll play it safe. Plus he's been out for over a year so I can see him taking in the 12 rounds. Floyd-Victor in September, Manny-Juan in November and then Floyd-Manny (first of 3) in the summer :cool:

But I do wonder if GBP is doing the right thing by throwing a potential star as a tuneup for Floyd. Personally I think they should build him up more considering they just got their future star back (Berto fight) after losing it (Maidana fight). Because if Floyd dominates the kid, I don't think the fans will see him as a PPV attraction after it. The kid as that "IT" factor. American, Speaks well, fan friendly style and isn't a trouble maker so it makes him very marketable. But then again, its hard to pass up a Mayweather fight. The money will be very good to him.

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I think Victor will press Floyd and it will cause him to get hit with a shot similar to what he hit Hatton with. After that, I think it will be target practice until Ortiz's corner stops it. I hope you're right on the last part but I've given up hope on that. If it happens, great, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think your last sentence says it all. There's not another fight at 147 on the horizon that will make him even half of what he'll make here so it's hard to pass up. Ideally, you'd love to see them build the kid up for the reasons you mentioned but it's hard to turn that money down. It's boxing, he could get caught in his next fight and this becomes a paycheck he never sees. I think HBO not signing of an a lot of tune ups speaks volumes too. Look at Paul Williams. He's facing Erislandy Lary

1 person likes this.
  20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Obviously no wonder Gayweather been avoiding Manny. Why would he be fighting Ortiz? Pretty obvious to see how he does against Ortiz if he's going to face Manny.