1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] Gotham

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Sep 24, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Celebrities can't walk around without being harassed and recognized, but the Koch brothers could walk through the floor of my office building and I wouldn't recognize them. Most people wouldn't recognize their own senator if he/she was sitting next to them on an airplane.

In DC, plenty of politicians walk around without anyone knowing who they are. In NYC, energy traders and millionaires walk around and nobody knows a thing.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

More mob bosses and organized crime.

Less stupid backstory on cartoony supervillains.

Don't make the George Lucas mistake.

Also, please kill off Donal Logue immediately.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Definitely got better this week. Falcone is such a boss.

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Dear god the acting is terrible

5. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

6. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Whoops I didn't know the picture would show up so big..

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A very real problem for me is Donal Logue (Bullock) leaves Ben McKenzie (Gordon) in the dust as an actor. I loved his King Horik character on Vikings.

Even Jada Pinkett's over-the-top (and corny) Fish Mooney steals the scene from McKenzie.

When the lead actor comes up small in comparison with others, it doesn't bode well for the show. Hopefully he will grow into the role over time and give the character some depth.

Episode 2 was a big improvement.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Not sure what I am supposed to see?

I only saw the first episode but so far I am not impressed, this seems like a show that I am willing to give a couple of episoded to pick up, but I fear it will not and I will stop watching.

9. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

looks like an easter egg referring to queen industries.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Donal Logue & Jada Pinkett are playing it way over the top, hopefully they reign it in a little as the season goes alont. I'm not even sure what Pinkett is going for to be honest...

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Seems like she is trying to impersonate the 60's Catwoman

12. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Fans of the show Arrow will get it.

13. GRENDEL

That's what I was thinking as well, not sure how that goes with the character though.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is it possible that maybe by season three
    Falcone turns on her. . . and she becomes the 1st Catwoman
    in which the one we see in the future mimicks?
    *shrug*

Rocket River
    I would be disappointed it that happened but . . .. . .

15. GRENDEL

Same here...

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Watched last night's episode and it was MUCH better then the first. Will probably stick with this one.

And is it just me or is Alfred super bipolar

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The show is unsuccessfully trying to merge campiness like child snatchers dressed and speaking like they are out of the 50's, and Fish ranting that she is going to kill Falcone with her teeth, contrasted with intense grit and graphic violence. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be a dark and edgy story, or a modern remake of the 60's Batman show without Batman or Robin.

The GCPD is incompetent. Except for Jim Gordon, none of its officers appear to have any interest in doing any actual investigative work, and upper management takes a similarly dismissive position. Commissioner Essen isn’t just aware of the corruption within her unit—she appears to be in active support of it. “Jim, it’s not like I can order you to break the law, but this is Gotham,” Essen says when Jim comes to her with concerns about Bullock’s interrogation methods. “If you don’t bend, you’ll get broke.”

How is it that all the corrupt cops don't even make the most cursory efforts to hide their corruption from Gordon from the start, and Major Crimes seems completely oblivious? Then again, I don't know who the Major Crimes division would even report anything to considering the commissioner, and every cop other than Gordon is corrupt and so is the mayor.

I keep forgetting that Selina Kyle is Catwoman, thankfully the writers remind me every scene she is in. Maybe I'm exaggerating. It's not like she fights by scratching or she first appeared in the episode batting at a shiny dangling thing... I wouldn't have caught on though until they told me "This young WOMAN has CATlike reflexes" or she reminded me to call her Cat and not Selina a dozen times.

[​IMG]

Maybe it will improve over time, but I'm not impressed so far. It stands more on the strengths of Batman's history and legacy than it does on it's own merits.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I haven't watched the second episode, but I got the impression in the first episode that the girl who witnessed the Wayne's murders would be Catwoman. She moves like a cat and stole the milk to give to a cat.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Oh she is catwoman, in episode two the show went out of its way to beat us over the head with that fact.

I think the guys are suggesting Jada Pinkett becomes a catwoman type who inspires or possibly mentors the little girl that becomes the catwoman we know. And yes Jada Pinkett is grossly over acting.

I'm liking the show overall, but I'm really tired of the references. It's insulting to the viewer. Just tell the story without constantly reminding people who this character is so it can be tied into Batman. People can figure stuff out themselves.

20. GRENDEL

This is really the biggest issue, some subtly would be greatly appreciated...