1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Player in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vstexas09, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Who is the best player in the NFL?

1. JJ Watt

98 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Calvin Johnson

14 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. Other

41 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Calvin and Dez? Not even close. Not AJ Green. Not Brandon Marshall. Not Julio Jones and definitely not Dez Bryant. Calvin Johnson is just in a different league. As far as individual talent the difference is about the same as Watt and Quin, Atkins, or Suh.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

On-field production disagrees with you. Natural talent is only as useful as it translates into metrics.

Watt outclasses every other DL by a large margin in advanced metrics. Johnson didn't lead the league in any of the 3 receiving categories last year, his value above replacement is no different than Dez, AJ, Marshall, Julio, etc.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

You're contradicting yourself. You can't say Johnson didn't lead the league in any of the 3 receiving categories last year and then say Watt outclasses any DL by a large margin when Watt didn't lead the league either. He didn't lead in sacks, tackles, TFLs, or interceptions. Not even in QB hits. You watch and you know JJ Watt is much better regardless of what stats say. Same with Calvin Johnson. Like I said, Watt is more valuable than Calvin and I explained why I think so. I just think Calvin is more talented (even if it doesn't translate into metrics).

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Has to be JJ Watt.
    There is no disagreement position wise for him, while you can make arguments for other players at other positions.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yes, I did contradict myself. What I mean is Watt is far more valuable than any other DL based on advanced metrics. The discrepancy is ridiculous. Either Watt is by far the best DL and therefore best player, or all other DL are currently ****e.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Was Shane Lechler the best player in the NFL when he was on top of his game?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No because Matt Turk was close in terms of performance

9. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

You do understand that during the Colts super bowl run manning led them to an epic comeback against the patriots in the Afc championship game..that's the problem with Peyton haters when his team loses its because of him and when they win it's despite him. If Vinitieri does not make those field goals is Tom Brady still clutch?

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Shush. You sound toopid.

11. conquistador#11

you do understand that he loses in the first game with his THREE picks if the defense doesn't pick it up? point is, team game. an overpowering defense will halt the most trendy offense. i'm not lying to you. those games from the superbowl run vs the chiefs, ravens and up on youtube. But getting to the playoffs is half the battle and that's why i have him as the best player.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

week 2:
    Watt 1 rec TD
    CJohnson 0 rec TD

:)

13. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How does it look now?