1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Controversy erupts after undocumented immigrant waves Mexican flag at graduation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 20, 2015.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

hmm and these illegal aliens wonder why all the bashing? Talk about "assimilating" uh...

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...xican-flag-at-graduation-controversy-follows/

A week after graduating from the Thurgood Marshall College at the University of California, San Diego, a 22-year-old undocumented immigrant is still getting plenty of criticism for proudly waving a Mexican flag on stage as she received her college diploma.

It all started after Indira Esparza was featured by the San Diego Union-Tribune for her college successes despite the barriers she overcame as an undocumented immigrant.

"She faced financial insecurity, anxiety over losing family members to deportation and judgment from others because of her Mexican citizenship," the article read.

The accompanying photo showed Esparza making a peace sign with two fingers as she walked across the stage to receive her diploma and holding a green, white and red Mexican flag.

The photo sparked a sharp reaction by offended readers who wrote angry letters and comments. The response has been so fierce, it prompted the newspaper to write a new article just about the reaction.

"Send her undocumented ass home to her precious Mexico," one commenter identified as J.j. Wrong posted. "Good luck getting the education in the country she is so proud of. Ignorant waste of a news feed."

"So she is here illegally but gets to go to high school, college (how much at tax payers’ expense), and at graduation she chose to wave a Mexican flag," Todd Gilbert wrote.

"If she feels so compelled to show homage to a country that failed to provide for her parents – forcing her family to relocate to a foreign country to which she demonstrates no allegiance – then it is high time for her to take what she learned at UCSD and move back to Mexico," Chuck Briones wrote.

In an online poll asking whether Esparza should have waved the Mexican flag, the largest group of respondents, 45 percent, answered, “Yes, she is proud of her roots and heritage.”

Altogether, however, a majority of respondents disagreed with her action, saying she should have waved an American flag (19 percent), both flags (20) or neither (14).

"She has the constitutional right to [hold] whatever flag she wants," Sandra Alvarado commented online. "She was born there, why not hold it at graduation? I'm sure her values and customs from Mexico allowed her to get where she is today, I know it helped me."

While at UCSD, Esparza helped establish its Undocumented Student Services Center, and she expects to begin grad school in education this summer.The 22-year-old hopes to do research on the educational experiences of undocumented students.

Like us on Facebook

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ironically, the same people b****ing about her doing this are the same side that defends keeping the Confederate flag hanging as "being proud of their heritage".

9 people like this.
  3. conquistador#11

She is demonstrating to other immigrants that it can be done. I doubt she is thinking haha, hey look my country is better than yours. That's what the world cup is for.

4. amaru

amaru Member

LMAO

You win sir! YOU WIN!!!!

Rep given

:grin:

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't rep often but you earned it.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

that's a pretty ignorant assumption leroy, got any proof or link?

are you condoning this illegal alien's action? I'm sure you're a very patriotic dude.

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

that's a very good way of "demonstrating" uh....

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Ironically, the same people defending this are the same side b****ing about keeping the Confederate flag hanging as "being proud of their heritage."

;)

1 person likes this.
  9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Demonstrating what exactly to other immigrants? That they can game the system too? Unfortunately, it kind of comes across as "suck it" more than anything else. I think she would have been better served just accepting her diploma graciously like probably everyone else at the graduation? Or perhaps waving a US flag as well if she was determined to draw attention to herself. I don't think this helps her cause.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes, I'm condoning it. It's not illegal. It doesn't represent an extremely racist past. It doesn't remind an entire faction that they used to be considered less than human.

She is undocumented. after her family immigrated here when she was 2. She is also now a college graduate and working towards a masters degree. She is not a threat and it would appear that she is a fine upstanding person. Why does it bother you what she does? Is this affecting you in anyway?

Also, what are your thoughts on the meaning of the Confederate Flag? Do you think it's right and acceptable that the flag continues to fly over government buildings in the south?

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So it's ok to fly the flag of racism because your great great great grand daddy did but you cant fly the flag of your parents and where you were born because why exactly?

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

She's waving the flag of the country she had no economic opportunity in and so left.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Makes sense - Mexico is the land of opportunity. It's where she plans to return to and live.

1 person likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

'game the system'... She came her when she was 2 buddy. Genius toddler to have the intent to game the U.S immigration system.

15. Mr. Clutch

If I spent ages 1 and 2 in Iceland, I'd definitely be waving an Icelandic flag at my graduation.

I mean, those were the best years of my life.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yeah, much better than waving the flag of a failed state that got their butts kicked because their way of life depended on enslaving a race of people.

17. Mr. Clutch

Well I agree with that.

Setting a pretty low bar.

18. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I abhor the flying of the Confederate flag above ANY government facility.

I reject racism in any way, shape, or form.

And yet...

My mother immigrated to the United States legally from Mexico. She followed the laws of this land. She learned (and eventually taught) English soon after moving to Texas. She came to the melting pot and melted.

It's one thing to support your heritage and homeland. It's another thing entirely to rub that heritage and homeland in the face of another country who has given you great access to opportunity. Opportunities that the flag you are waving denied you.

I disagree vehemently with her actions, though I acknowledge she had every legal right to commit them.

1 person likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

All I'm saying is we got bigger problems than Mexicans not appreciating their new homeland at graduation ceremonies.

20. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough, we do.