1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Mile] First time in history, two HS runners break the 4 minute mile

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Jun 27, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First time in the same class/year, I meant to say in the title.

I previously <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9778285&postcount=47">posted</a> that Matthew Maton ran the 3rd fastest mile in HS history in May. I just found out from my nephew that Grant Fisher from Michigan also just broke the 4 minute mile and in the exact time as Matthew Maton.

They both ran against College competition and didn't win the race. Jim Ryun is still the only HSer who broke 4 minutes in an actual HS event.

So here is the historical list now:

High School Boys All-Time Mile List:

1. Alan Webb, 3:53.43 (2001)

2. Jim Ryun, 3:55.3 (1965)

3t. Matthew Maton, 3:59.38 (2015)
    3t. Grant Fisher, 3.59.38 (2015)

5. Tim Danielson, 3:59.4 (1966)

6. Lukas Verzbicas, 3:59.71 (2011)*

7. Marty Liquori, 3:59.8 (1967)
    Congrats Grant and Matthew.

This is Mathews full race. Nice video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9YUY1SJ5tE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is Grant, but not the complete race, but all we got from youtube.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eH9-cyJvWKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the article on Grant. Btw, he also won the Footlocker National Cross Country invitational in Dec 2014. Matthew got 17th.

ST. LOUIS, Mo. -- Running under the lights on a balmy evening more than 500 miles from his hometown of Grand Blanc, Grant Fisher, the nation's top high school runner, shattered the four-minute-mile barrier. More than 60 years after Roger Bannister became the first to break it, Fisher became the seventh U.S. high schooler to accomplish the feat, and the first from Michigan.

Running in the pro race at the Festival of Miles at University High School, Fisher placed third in 3:59.38 -- a hair faster than Bannister ever ran.

For the first half of the race, Fisher's prospects looked doubtful. The "rabbit" hired to pace the field started too slowly, then opened up a gap on the field in an effort to get back on pace. Fisher, more than 10 meters behind, had to speed his third lap in order to challenge for the win.

He stormed the last half-mile, battling defending champion Jordan McNamara on the final stretch, finishing a stride behind the former Oregon star (3:58.81). In between, Tyler Pennel clocked 3:58.99.

Afterward, Fisher appeared dazed by his achievement. "I'm excited," he said. "I don't really know what just happened. The pace was a little weird at first, but it worked out."

He ran his first half in 2:01.5, his second in 1:57.9.

This season, coach Mike Scannell has played down expectations that Fisher, who ran a 4:02.02 last year, would break four minutes. At the MHSAA Division 1 finals last weekend, Fisher won the 1600 and continued to a 4:01.67 for the full mile. That led to speculation that Thursday's race might be historic.

"It does feel like a weight has been lifted off us," Scannell admitted.

Fisher is now tied for the national lead, as Oregon prep Matthew Maton ran an identical time several weeks ago, becoming the sixth high schooler to break 4:00. Only American record holder Alan Webb (Michigan) and former world-record holder Jim Ryun have run faster as preps.​

#1 heypartner, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015