1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oregon Community College Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Oct 1, 2015.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

Another crazy person killing people.:( Still waiting for the facts but I have seen reports that the killer was asking each person their religion. If this report turns out to be true, that is truly sad. It will be very interesting as the facts about this idiot come out. Of course Obama, never one to let a crisis go to waste, can't wait to come out to condemn guns while the bodies were still warm.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've always thought the knee jerk responses condemning guns when things like this happen are odd. It was a gun that stopped the guy from killing students and if they had a few more guns on campus, maybe he doesn't get a chance to kill so many.

Anyway, narratives are narratives I guess.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

Completely agree!

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Thanks gun lobby. They also have crazies in other advanced countries and they don't have mass killings. We do.

#4 glynch, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't the gun lobby that chose to leave students defenseless.....

6. cml750

cml750 Member

just saw where the guy was asking what religion they were and if they answered Christian he would shoot them in the head if they answered something else he would shoot them in the leg. I am not sure if this is confirmed but if it is true that is really disturbing.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

It was a "gun free zone". I guess this crazy guy didn't know that. I heard one report that even the campus security was not armed but I do not know if that is true. Had some students been armed some of this killing probably could have been avoided.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

I'm with gun control but it's not possible at this stage to control it

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Ya nothing says safe environment like a bunch of amateurs engaging in a shootout. With such a prevelance of undiagnosed or untreated mental health cases I'm a big BIG proponent of arming as many people as possible. That's clearly the only answer.

And oh ya, nothing says following in the ways of Jesus Christ like a deep affinity for firearms. What type of gun do you think Jesus the prince of peace would've carried?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's clearly much safer to have everyone defenseless so as to create the "shooting gallery" effect for anyone that does decide to attack.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Somebody wrote a piece earlier, forget who, but it seems correct that Sandy Hook was a turning point:

It was where the gun lobby and their enablers decided that murdering children was acceptable and where gun-absolutism would reign supreme; ergo using the mechanics of status quo, which are pretty easy with sufficient capital behind them, they win.

This is meh, guns are #1, dead kids don't matter anymore, especially since they're older here.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

THE ANSWER ISNT MORE GUNS. period.

This **** has to start somewhere. The first step towards recovery is admitting there's a problem. I've said it before but there is a SICK perversion for inanimate killing tools in this country. Almost every study and previous examples in gun control around the world have led to an eventual reduction in gun related and overall violent crime. It may not happen today, it may not happen tomorrow but eventually - at some point - stricter access to firearms will benefit society AS A WHOLE.

This is such a frustrating argument and another in a long line of backwards societal issues that turn me away from the modern conservative movement. Ideology above practicality.

13. SamFisher

LOL, it's definitely possible because many places do it; even places within the US.

We have never tried on a national level.

14. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Typical conservative response. "Let them eat guns!"

https://swirl.xyz/s/afd35baefe

#14 Xenon, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  15. SamFisher

The gun lobby decided on/around December 14, 2012 that the massacre of a classroom of six-year-olds was an acceptable tradeoff for any and all assaults on FORT SECOND AMENDMENT, however marginal those concessions may be.

We are all defenseless after that sucessful exercise of patriotism.

Thank you gun lobby for giving us this freedom.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why do we as citizens, have to carry guns to protect ourselves from...other people with dangerous guns? That's idiotic gun nut logic. Why not just cut guns out of the equation.

17. TheresTheDagger

I've read estimates that there are over 300 million guns in America and that approximately 1 in 4 citizens own guns.

The genie is out of the bottle and has been for many many decades.

What I find compelling is the fact that guns have ALWAYS been part of the american experience... yet mass shootings are a fairly recent phenomenon. Which leads to the obvious question....WHY?

I contend that in addition to discussing guns we as a nation have a deeper conversation asking what is causing this recent rise in mass shootings. It obviously isn't solely because of the prevelance of guns.

18. SamFisher

More obfuscation and garbage from the idiot lobby.

It's pretty simple to use legal and regulatory tools to suppress firearms as can be done for any other quantity - the tools are myriad , we voluntarily choose not to at the price of dead first graders.

That is the world we have chosen.

Own it. Be a man.

19. TheresTheDagger

http://www.bradycampaign.org/2013-state-scorecard?gclid=CPKN7cX-osgCFcZhfgodSGEN6w

This organization (Brady campaign) that tracks gun laws gives Illinois a "B" on its gun laws. (2013)

http://abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-police-to-target-gun-traffickers/1011155/

Looks like tough gun laws haven't made much of a dent in Chicago.

But lets say you're talking about mass shootings. CALIFORNIA gets an "A-" from Brady Campaign.

Remember this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_killings

The point I'm making is pragmatic. It's tough to make the argument that tough gun laws alone is the answer. That DOESN'T mean we shouldn't take a look at toughening up laws (and more importantly sentencing). I'm simply stating this horrific phenomenon requires a more thoughtful and comprehensive answer than just tougher gun laws.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure you want to rely on Illinois as it has passed conceal and carry legislation.