1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best lead singer change in Rock History

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, May 11, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l482T0yNkeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pAgnJDJN4VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Only 5 months between albums -- has there ever been anything like it with a major rock band?

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Genesis- Peter Gabriel to Phil Collins

But that's good to good- what about an improvement? If that's the case, I would say:

1. Fleetwood Mac- Bob Welch to Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks

2. Pink Floyd - Syd Barrett to Roger Waters

3. Yes- whoever they had to Jon Anderson

4. Supertramp- whoever they had to Roger Hodgsen

And then there's the ones that regressed:

1. Van Halen- Roth to Hagar

2. Bad Company- Rogers to ______

3. Journey- Perry to ________

4. Lynyrd Skynyrd- Van Zant to ________

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Geddy Lee...no balls to balls? :grin:

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Jens Kidman

/thread

I've heard him perform "I Am Colossus" live and I swear it sounds better than the album recording.

5. body slam

body slam Member

Van Zant to Van Zant

6. Hmm

Hmm Member

Seriously...?

Not that Syd was a quality vocalist... but, to say this is a clear cut "improvement"... is likely just a matter of taste...

Surely, you've heard Waters' Floyd recordings a cappella...? Surely, you've heard Waters sing period... The man can hardly carry a tune...

Waters, Barrett, nor Gilmour were competent vocalists.... They could barely get by..

At least Syd's "styling", however, bared his personality through the lyrics...

1 person likes this.
  7. Hmm

Hmm Member

How about...

The Temptations - Paul Williams to David Ruffin...

8. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If we're talking improvements, Brian Johnson is NOT an improvement over Bon Scott. That's not even a question, Bon Scott was the better singer. Brian is really good though, I'm glad it was him to took the reins because the band HAD to get a new singer, for unfortunate circumstances. RIP Bon

Ozzy Osbourne to Ronnie James Dio in Black Sabbath was certainly no regression, he was just as good as Ozzy and Sabbath's first two albums of the 80s were excellent.

Deep Purple certainly improved when Ian Gillan took the helm in 1970, but unfortunately it didn't last yet the first 3 albums with him were amazing, plus their live album Made in Japan. David Coverdale just wasn't as good.

Iron Maiden's first two albums with Paul Di'Anno were excellent, but when they changed to Bruce Dickinson he took them to the stratosphere. Some people prefer the first two records but man '82-88 was their golden era for me. After '93 when Dickinson left, Maiden just died. Didn't like Blaze Bayley, and even when Dickinson came back I never liked their 2000s albums. Something just went wrong after 1 Fear of the Dark...

That's about all of the singers that improved/kept up the pace with their new bands.

Bands that just didn't have it anymore after they changed their singer (and in most cases even after they returned):

Deep Purple after Gillan
    Motley Crue after Neil in 1992
    Iron Maiden after Dickinson in 1993
    Van Halen after Roth in 1985
    Stone Temple Pilots after Weiland in 2013 (Bennington is gonna suck, I can assure you that)
    Sex Pistols after Rotten in 1978
    Queen after Mercury passed away in 1991
    Pink Floyd after Waters in 1983
    Judas Priest after Halford in 1992
    Journey after Perry in 1998
    Genesis after Collins in 1995
    Black Sabbath after Dio in 1982

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ugh, the gay dude with Aids and b****ing mustache.

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Magic Johnson fronted a rock band?

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Didn't he get replaced by Adam lambert and some other dude from earlier in the decade?

12. dandorotik

Waters wasn't bad in the 70s- Pigs Three Different Ones, Brain Damage- good in a Lou Reed sort of way. But he fit the music. It ain't always about having the best "technical" voice- Lou Reed, Mark Knopfler, Bob Dylan, Waters- all fit their style of music.

That being said, to lump Gilmour as a limited singer along with them- well, let me have some of that crack you've been smoking. David Gilmour has one of the most beautiful voices in rock and roll- that's not even up for debate.

13. dandorotik

Says the culturally ignorant poster. You don't have to know them all, but please, Queen and Freddie Mercury- you just have to know them, man. Ugh.

14. dandorotik

And I didn't say clear-cut improvement- nice job of adding in a qualifier that wasn't there to begin with. Oy vey.

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

I was with you until...

I'm sure your fandom simply got the best of you...

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

Well, if the difference is not distinctly, or unambiguously better ... how is it an improvement...?

I wasn't adding a thing... That's implied when you state someone or something's an improvement over someone or something else...

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

And that's pretty much what I was getting at by saying it was a matter a taste, more than an actual improvement in ability...

You could say the same thing about Syd and his music...

18. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Hodgson was one of the founding members. I don't think there was anyone before him.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Eddie Vedder

[​IMG]

To

Freddie Vedder.

[​IMG]