1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN.COM] Berkman set to have arthroscopic knee surgery

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2303276

HOUSTON -- Houston Astros outfielder Lance Berkman will have arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday.

The procedure is to clean up minor scar tissue that developed in his right knee after surgery in November 2004, Astros general manager Tim Purpura said Monday. The first surgery came when Berkman tore the anterior cruciate ligament while playing flag football.

Dr. David Lintner, the team medical director, will perform the surgery in Houston and Berkman should be healthy in time for the start of spring training in late February.

Berkman, 29, hit .293 with 24 home runs and 82 RBI for the NL champion Astros in 2005. He is .302 with 180 home runs and 617 RBI in his career. He batted .333 with two home runs and 14 RBI in the 2005 postseason.

2. msn

msn Member

heart... racing... *phew*

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm assuming this is minor and routine...Otherwise, I'd be sh*tting bricks...

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Jesus! The thread title really should have some kind of warning. I'm sure we all remember the hole the Astros dug without him.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah that scared me. Sounds like they are just doing a little cleanup work.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I about poopied in my daipy

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I assume there is a reason he is waiting until now to do this....otherwise, why not do this 2 weeks after the WS.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

He may have not noticed a lingering problem. Or he may have been told it would go away on its own, but it never did.

9. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

maybe the tissues needs to be fully developed before they take it out?

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

we can rebuild him