1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New NBPA Executive Director

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, Jul 29, 2014.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

First off let me have y'all read this article from prior to the vote

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...more-finalists-search-nbpa-executive-director

Dafuq???
    I swear Cuban, Reinsdorf, Dan Gilbert et al must be giddy and geeing up for 2017.

2. ferrari77

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/29/michele-roberts-nbpa-players-union-executive-director

3. ferrari77

UGH damnit. Would someone be able to help me change the title of the thread from "President" to "Executive Director"? Not even sure how I made that mistake.

It seems like Ms. Roberts was the best choice out of the three on offer.
    Doesn't seem like she has much if any sports labor experience but at least she is an excellent trial lawyer and litigator.
    Just don't understand how the other choices were so $hitty.
    Terdema Ussery is a standup fella and I knew him from my time in Dallas but c'mon, you don't want someone with ties to the owners. You also want someone with Labor Law experience. How the heck does Garfield even get in the mix??

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Labor lawyer with a pro-player sports background whose livelihood isn't totally tied to union salary ... isn't THAT what NBPA needs at last?</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/493904526726807554">July 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Who's the rep for the Rockets?

5. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

The Wynn is full of NBA player and coaches tonight. From Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Jason Terry, Brian Westbrook, D Waiters, D Cousins, Coach K, Deron Williams and a ton more that I could get close to. I got a picture of KD, but security got heavy and started to move people away. If you know the Wynn, everyone was hanging out at the B Bar. Of course, all the other 'Vegas' folks hang out there as well. Will see if I can figure out how to post JD's picture.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Get Cuban's guy out of there. He will only represent the interests of the Mavs.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Promising a night out at a Vegas strip club after an election is a political tactic to get the black vote out.

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Ussery looked like someone with major conflicts of interest. Garfield's experience also suggests that he favors management over labor. You want someone not just smart but also ready to fight to the death for your team. Of the three, Roberts seems the most like that.

Experience in labor law is probably better, but if you're smart enough you can learn the important stuff quickly and then contract out the specific knowledge expertise. Vision and political savvy are more important than being a labor lawyer. It would be very interesting to know why Kevin Johnson quit, though. Could be all kinds of reasons.

9. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

The last labor agreement was bad for the players, but probably good for the fans. It basically gave the owners of the tools (shorter contracts, smaller % of Basketball related income to the players, harder caps) to prevent a mediocre owner from destroying their team for long stretched at a time.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think it changed anything just made the owners more money.

11. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Personally, I think that anything that minimizes the impact of truly bad, long term, cap clogging contracts is good for fans.