1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, May 29, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Just wanted to talk about a band that has risen to the top of my list of favorite rock bands within the past year: IRON MAIDEN.

Here's my top 5 albums as of right now, and they probably change order depending on well let's be honest they're always going to change depending on what mood I'm in:

1. Piece of Mind. Fav. Track - The Trooper
    2. Somewhere in Time. " " - Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
    3. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Infinite Dreams
    4. Powerslave - 2 Minutes to Midnight
    5. Number of the Beast - Run to the Hills

Their first two albums are excellent as well, with Paul Di'Anno who's a great singer. Glad they got Bruce though, he really is the better vocalist. Have you seen Di'Anno lately? Reminds me of Steve Franchise nowadays...

My favorite tracks on the remaining albums that I like are as follows:

Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera (Prob. my favorite Di'Anno track)
    Killers - title track
    No Prayer for the Dying (This album gets WAY too much hate!!!) -Tailgunner
    Fear of the Dark - title track

If you couldn't tell by now, I don't like anything they did after '92. Never cared for Blaze's albums, and even when Bruce came back in '99, their albums were still just really bland and repetitive. None of them did it for me. Not Brave New World, Dance of Death, Final Frontier... Didn't like any of them.

So how about it CF? Do you up the irons as much as I do?

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I have seen pretty much every band active that I have wanted to see except Maiden. They are next on my list for sure.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Truth be told I liked their album covers more than their music.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i agree with your 1-5 and about everything after 92, except the X Factor. It's such an underrated album. I jam to it when I want to mellow out. I know it sounds contradictory. The mood on the album is dark, depressing, and brooding. It's why I love it so much.

They got really repetitive as you said after that. How can anyone in the band not realize that singing the same line 12 times in a row is boring?

the only song post 92 that I think is anywhere near the quality of those 5 ranked albums is Paschendale.

5. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

They were first concert in 1988 on the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour. Under rated album I think. Particularly the title track. I always thought Piece of Mind was their best album.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Yes, THE Bruce Dickenson.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

One of my favorite bands in the 80s...one I've camped out for tickets for on multiple occasions for the "Powerslave" tour, etc. . I remember my rat pack of friends and I made an Iron Maiden poster for some contest at Texas Tapes and Records where one of the band members was judging them. I think the winner was given backstage passes and really good seats. We didn't win. I'm not even sure we were displayed or judged. I forget why...but we had to leave to get to their show that night. The band fell off the radar after the 80s for me...except I hear about them touring still and saw their documentary which was very well done imo (love that plane and the fact that Bruce flies them around on tour). I listen to some of those old tunes occasionally on Pandora. Their music brings back some good memories.

KingCheetah likes this.
  8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Brave New World was a great comeback album. I saw that tour with Queensryche and Halford opening.

9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Ah yes on that tour they recorded their excellent Live After Death live album. Wish they had a bootleg or something of that tour, I want to hear Bruce scream "scream for me Houston!!!"

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

They have some neat Texas shirts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Probably one of the world's few renaissance men and certainly a polymath

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Yes, I put on my pants one leg at a time, but when I do I make gold records.

13. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Got to meet Bruce at his cousin's band's show in London back in 1995. Any idea who his cousin is?

Rob Dickinson from Catherine Wheel

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Anyone go to the show last week or so? They were amazing, first time I've ever seen 'em live (it was about damn time too!)

And I just noticed on the back of the Somewhere in Time album there's a neon sign that says "Texas Records and Tapes". Gee, wonder what that could be referencing ;)

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I took my oldest son to the show in San Antonio.

DD

htwnbandit and TheFreak like this.
  17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Jeff Hammer(owner of TTnR, known as Doodah on FB)) is good friends with the band(Nicko specifically) and they used to hang all the time when they were in town back in the day.

I'm the board's resident(and original) Maiden freak, and have seen them over a dozen times over the years.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Sorry, what's TTnR?

And nice! Any stories about Maiden coming to the H back in the '80s?

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

That'd be Texas Tapes n Records..

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Otherwise known as "My Second Home in the 80s"

And no, I don't have any firsthand knowledge of what went on out at Jeff's, we knew him in the sense that we were always at his store but we weren't invited to go party with the bands when they came thru. I do have a couple of stories about hanging backstage with the road crews for some major bands in the 90s when I worked local crew for Pace concerts. Had a couple of beers with Metallica while they were hanging out in catering at the Summit after one of their shows and smoked a doob or two with various soundmen that I worked with, but nothing juicy or shocking about them, they are just normal dudes with kickass jobs.

htwnbandit and Torn n Frayed like this.