1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Van Exel not happy in Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdastros, May 30, 2003.

1. cdastros

cdastros Member

Reading between the lines of his recent interviews, Nick was not too happy that Dirk did not play. Nick also felt like Dallas defense was better without Dirk in the lineup. When Nick was interviewed he said that chances like these don’t come around all the time which might have been a hint to Dirk the he needed to play hurt. Nick stated that he wants to play with a defensive big man and that you cant win in the NBA with out one.

Well I was thinking this. Nick lives in Houston. Houston needs a point guard. Houston has the defensive center that he wants. He is signed through 2004, but maybe he can force a trade to the Rockets.

Nick Van Excel for Cato, Mobley, and Griffen.

If Nick forces the Mavs hand, this trade gives Dallas a better defensive presence down low and at the 2 with Mobley and give the Rockets a true point guard.

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

true point gaurd? right....

3. 03TxAg

03TxAg Member

WAY too much to give up for Van Exel. Also, if we move Steve to the 2, we need a PG who can distribute the ball, and Nick is far from that with his shoot first, pass second mentality.

4. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

Hell no!!!!!!

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i like the point made about Nick Van Excel but do we have to always post our trade scenarios. 99% of them aren't ever even going to be discussed by the rockets.

There are a few threads that are nothing but trades like that.

When it comes to Van Exel i wouldn't mind having him but i would rather have a pass first, shoot second kind of pg. Francis, Mobley, Yao will be our scorers. We were one of the worst assists teams.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

You must be dreaming!

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Van Exel for Cato, Griff-I-n and Mobley? You feeling ok? That is an awful lot to give up. I wouldn't even trade Mobley for Van Exel straight up.

PS - Is Van exel ever happy?

8. Nova

Nova Member

That's way way too much for NVE, and he's definitely not what the Rox need on this team. He wouldn't be a bad backup pg though.

9. cdastros

cdastros Member

Nick is not a shoot first point guard any more. In Denver he was putting up 8 to 9 assist to less than 1 turnover a game. With about 16 to 20 points a game.

I wasn't trying to do a trade scenario as much as get Nick to fit under the NBA trade restrictions. There is no denying if Nick didn't play for Dallas they would have lost in the first round. All he did was hit big shots.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

What have you been smoking?? :eek:

Maybe Van Exel for Mooch and Collier, but HELL NO for Mobley and Griffin!

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Actually, it was 2.5-3.0 TOs a game, not one. Lets also not forget his career 40% shooting and the fact he averages (even in Denver) 15-20 shots a game (more than Steve).

He might be a slightly better "pure PG" than Steve, but the two are cut from the same mold.

12. SLA

SLA Member

Van Exel is good. He is unstoppable. He's crazy.

He needs to go to a team where they will let him jack up shots all day....and have enough people to play defense for him....like Denver. :D

He is a huge ballhog....but very intelligent player and knows how to play and use the backboard.

I like him.

He just doesn't fit with us.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Steve Francis for Nick Van Exel...

14. ptw1

ptw1 Member

way too much to give up. Would not trade either player you listed straight-up for nve. Maybe cap fillers and a couple if 2nd rounders. At this point I believe nve's best role is to be your scoring punch off the bench. I don't think he can handle 40 mins a night for an entire season. Hopefulle Boki can emerge for some outside scoring coming off the bench (assuming rice is gone) to go along with motay. I'm hoping Troy Bell slides to the Rockets in the second round (like nve did when he came out). I'm not a fan of tito. I think Troy has a bad reputation for just being a gunner. I think he can be a solid point guard. He had to jack up shots at BC to give his team a chance to win.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In the words of the immortal Nigel Tufner from Spinal Tap:

"Is this a joke?"

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Other than a youthful temper, Van Exel is a great player. He was awesome for Dallas. I didn't see all of the games but I don't remember him taking any bad shots.

I'd love to see him run the point for the Rockets. I wouldn't to the trade as outlined above. Giving up too much.

I'd send Mooch and Cato though for Nick and someone/thing else.

17. ron

ron Member

Hey, Cat, Eddie Griffin and Kelvin Cato is an unrealistic trade... Houston need a pass-first, tall, good defensive point guard (ala Alvin Willams and Jamal Crawford)!

18. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

No, Mooch for Nick

19. cdastros

cdastros Member

Jason Kidd is the best pure point in the league and he turns the ball over almost 4 times a game. You dont need a point guard to have a great field goal pct. when you have a big center (Derek Fisher anyone).

You need the point to do these things in a offense with a big man

1. Penetrate and dish (Steve would just penetrate, no dish)
    2. Shot the three
    3. Give a good entry pass (Steve didn’t do that well either)

From what I have seen Nick can do 1 and 3 better than steve.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Nick has never been happy on any of the teams he has played for. I say let him be unhappy elsewhere.